Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
But...knowing the human race...there will then be disagreements between the lighter tanned and the darker tanned...hoo boy!
There already are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
its not about discrimination folks in detroit do not take pledge of allegiance to EEOC.
its about white guilt & the race card, its the primary game in town. if you are fortunate to work in a large office you can play the white girl sex discrimination card or if you file for divorce against a rich white man you can play the destitute damsel in distress card. that is about it.
3 cards just 3.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:25 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I'm sorry but minorities aren't trying to hear THE how "hard" whites have it. Some do have it hard of course, but nowhere near most, and more than likely not most on this board either. Racism is wrong no matter what the race but Blacks have had it the worst next to Native Americans. There are about 135 of them left (obviously exaggerating...calm down). But you get my point.
Sorry to sound heartless, but this is the truth. I'm being bombarded with all of this "reverse racism" and "white victimization," all while these same people hold some of the most racist thoughts and views I've ever seen (they definitely won't say it, but every action they do around you hypothetically yells "RACIST!")

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl
As a woman, I could cry "sexism" anytime I want. After all, my female ancestors suffered abominable discrimination, just for the crime of being female. And today, in 2009, women are still not getting equal pay for doing the same work that men do.
Then you may want to come around my neck of the woods, where women are owning companies, lobbying, making multimillion dollar decisions, and so forth! The same women are also realizing their power and are choosing who they associate, befriend, and hookup with, and for many women around here, just guess what they really want?

Quote:
And what about homosexuals? They too are fighting for their rights and enduring discrimation.
About what, getting married and being called f*ggots. I've been called all sorts of pejorative names and I couldn't care less of what one calls me. As for getting married, the only places where they're facing major resistance are states that they wouldn't want to go to anyway. And as for general acceptance, where I am, I see them embraced, respected, and befriended by a lot of residents. In fact, half of the time when I see a black dude w/ a white chick, the black guy's usually gay! All while the straight (non-athlete) dude who wears the preppiest of clothing (due to his own personal tastes) is seen no different than the stereotypical black hoodlum thief by these same liberals who embrace the entire GLBT community!

Quote:
Aged persons struggle to be recognized as productive human beings. Obese persons struggle to be seen as anything more than fat, lazy slobs.
I'm sure the aged individuals with hindering handicaps and those competing for a job face this, but there are plenty of old people who are more worried about their next fishing trip or when the next episode of Matlock will air. As for the overweight and obese, they weren't born with it - they made their bed and now they either have to sleep in it or get out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
I'm not white and im sure there are still pockets of bigotry in the white population but lets give credit to the fact that lots of whites are making efforts to put a balance to that..it takes time...and it won't be 100% but let's be optimistic
Tell me where this is..and don't include the East Coast whites and other non-blacks. Just a bunch of Liberal Hypocrites when it comes to dealing with race!

Quote:
The list goes on, but my point is that with there being over 300 million people in the U.S., Blacks don't hold the patent on discrimination anymore. Humans tend to clan, and they reject those not like themselves.

So please people...if we want to be fair about it, I think we should give equal time to all persons who feel the weight of discrimination in this country. I'm not trying to downplay the Black experience in the U.S. Being White, I can't possibly stand in their shoes and speak for them. But I just think we should give a voice to all people who feel the weight of whatever it is about them that makes them "different" than the "flavor of the month".
I'll agree with you on these points. The question is what solutions do you bring to the table? What about those who aren't just sheep and follow the herd because it's the "most convenient way" or because "they don't want to upset their family." What about those who don't mind giving jobs to the elderly, willing to help their overweight friends lose weight, having a female as a corporate partner, living next to a homosexual couple, having friends from multiple races and countries, and being in an interracial marriage with beautiful bi-racial children. I do my damnedest to assimilate with the "mainstream society" and give a genuinely open-mind to experience the taste of different cultures, but I just keep facing "road blocks" (almost always from left-wing liberal cliques, East-Coast suburbanites, and various "multicultural" groups) all while facing much less discrimination in places much more racially and culturally homogeneous (including a few culturally conservative places) that didn't worry themselves about how "tolerant," "international," and "diverse" their neighborhood, city, or state is.

So the question may be not as much as "whom faces the most discrimination" as it is about "where is prejudice more likely to occur?"

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 02-01-2009 at 01:34 AM..

Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I know...you're thinking the topic of my thread is an oxymoron.

But I'm making a point here. And my point is that I'm reading too many posts on this forum about bigotry and discrimination against Blacks. But what about all the other groups of people who endure bigottry on a daily basis?

As a woman, I could cry "sexism" anytime I want. After all, my female ancestors suffered abominable discrimination, just for the crime of being female. And today, in 2009, women are still not getting equal pay for doing the same work that men do.

And what about homosexuals? They too are fighting for their rights and enduring discrimation.

Aged persons struggle to be recognized as productive human beings. Obese persons struggle to be seen as anything more than fat, lazy slobs.

The list goes on, but my point is that with there being over 300 million people in the U.S., Blacks don't hold the patent on discrimination anymore. Humans tend to clan, and they reject those not like themselves.

So please people...if we want to be fair about it, I think we should give equal time to all persons who feel the weight of discrimination in this country. I'm not trying to downplay the Black experience in the U.S. Being White, I can't possibly stand in their shoes and speak for them. But I just think we should give a voice to all people who feel the weight of whatever it is about them that makes them "different" than the "flavor of the month".
I'd be interested in who's starting these threads. from the tone of how most of them are written when started, I highly doubt they come from a black person. It seems like there are many threads created just to stir up trouble, to get into arguements about this subject instead of promoting debate.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
But what about all the other groups of people who endure bigottry on a daily basis?
What about them, you seem to pretend that there are no ongoing attempts to redress those grievances. The fact that you have the temerity to post this nonsense in light of the fact that the very first piece of legislation signed by the first African American President was a bill to protect the rights of women in the work place.

Puleeze, spare me this myopic bovine fecal matter.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I'm sorry but minorities aren't trying to hear THE how "hard" whites have it. Some do have it hard of course, but nowhere near most, and more than likely not most on this board either. Racism is wrong no matter what the race but Blacks have had it the worst next to Native Americans. There are about 135 of them left (obviously exaggerating...calm down). But you get my point.

You're right. It's shared between Blacks, Mexicans (hispanics), Arabs (Muslims) and Homosexuals. You can make the woman argument. But let me ask you this, who faces more discrimination white women or minority women?

Well the particular thread was about Blacks. But your're right. Hispancs have long shared our experience in America and now we are joined in mass by Arabs (Muslims) and Homosexuals. Look at the news recently (since Election night) in New York city. Hate crime is up right now. FACT[/quote]

you sound like a racist black person

Old 02-01-2009, 07:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
:c rying:

Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
I know...you're thinking the topic of my thread is an oxymoron.

But I'm making a point here. And my point is that I'm reading too many posts on this forum about bigotry and discrimination against Blacks. But what about all the other groups of people who endure bigottry on a daily basis?

Chadians, like my boss, are called rayhabs, camel jockeys and sand n*ggers. They experience racism all the time by blacks, Hispanics, women, Jews, whites, atheists, Hindus, Muslims, Asians, etc. My boss doesn't care because he is a successful business owner who isn't looking for an excuse for his failure because he's too busy succeeding. I've met a lot of Jews, Asians, Indians, Arabs, etc. who also experience racism and yet still seem to do well in America. They don't blame their shortcomings on white males because they go to school, get good grades, join the Honor Society and the Physics Club, don't get arrested and don't get knocked up. Blacks tend to continue to blame whites for their own failures. Women tend to blame men for their shortcomings. It's easier than attempting to improve yourself. Being a victim has rewards that don't have to be earned. That feeds right into the American sense of entitlement.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,020 times
It's much easier to blame others than admit our own mistakes and short-comings. That's true regardless of age, race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:36 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Chadians, like my boss, are called rayhabs, camel jockeys and sand n*ggers. They experience racism all the time by blacks, Hispanics, women, Jews, whites, atheists, Hindus, Muslims, Asians, etc. My boss doesn't care because he is a successful business owner who isn't looking for an excuse for his failure because he's too busy succeeding. I've met a lot of Jews, Asians, Indians, Arabs, etc. who also experience racism and yet still seem to do well in America. They don't blame their shortcomings on white males because they go to school, get good grades, join the Honor Society and the Physics Club, don't get arrested and don't get knocked up. Blacks tend to continue to blame whites for their own failures. Women tend to blame men for their shortcomings. It's easier than attempting to improve yourself. Being a victim has rewards that don't have to be earned. That feeds right into the American sense of entitlement.
Some of you will never get it or accept it..Blacks were the only ethnicity in THIS country to be enslaved and segregated. You can't use Jews, Asians, Indians and Arabs in the same context. They chose to immigrate here, blacks didn't. If it makes you feel better to say, "oh but look people discriminate against them too" to dilute what has occured to blacks in this country for 500 years, so be it. Just don't expect some of us to tolerate that nonsense. As another poster stated (ovcatto I believe), all those ethnicities can navigate their culture and history, blacks can't because we were stripped of it. You can call it crying and whatnot but what it is, is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies