Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 AM

829 posts, read 2,954,393 times

Advertisements

lol...that is a very good point.

but you would really say that if you had to choose "the most conservative state" in the region i mentioned, it would be south carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
lol...that is a very good point.

but you would really say that if you had to choose "the most conservative state" in the region i mentioned, it would be south carolina?
I think so. But I think overall, maybe Alabama or Mississippi are slightly ahead of us.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
It's getting fairly liberal due to all of the far lefties moving down from the north east. Same here in SC and especially NC where the voted for a dem for president, I was shocked at all of the Obama bumper stickers that I've seen. I find it oddly ironic that so many liberals leave their states that suck economically due to far left policies, move to conservative states and then vote for politicians that hold views to the pols that ruined the state from whence they came. Makes no sense to me.
You are implying that people move to SC for it's economy? I believe we have the 3rd highest unemployment rate. We are 4th highest in crime, 3rd highest infant mortality rate, THE HIGHEST VIOLENT CRIME RATE, 47th in terms of personal income, 3rd highest traffic mortality rate, #1 in mobile homes per capita, worse air quality than Los Angeles, no sidewalks, bad infrastructure, and trash all over the place.

These conservative policies are working so well here. Right.

Last edited by Art123; 01-30-2009 at 12:44 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 01:10 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,994,848 times
Based on the numbers:

1a. Oklahoma
1b. Utah

Old 01-30-2009, 05:26 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You are implying that people move to SC for it's economy? I believe we have the 3rd highest unemployment rate. We are 4th highest in crime, 3rd highest infant mortality rate, THE HIGHEST VIOLENT CRIME RATE, 47th in terms of personal income, 3rd highest traffic mortality rate, #1 in mobile homes per capita, worse air quality than Los Angeles, no sidewalks, bad infrastructure, and trash all over the place.

These conservative policies are working so well here. Right.
After a half century here, I can state with some certainty that South Carolina is the reddest of the redneck states. They all but issue a pistol when you cross the border, and if ever there was a population clinging bitterly to the Three Gs, it's SC.

We are number one in domestic violence, however, and SC is the state where you are most likely to be killed by your spouse. According to Men's Health Magazine, we have the worst drivers in the country. I can believe this, since no one here has turn signals on their cars ( but they do have "I Ride With Forrest" bumper stickers).

SC also fielded the Nazi presidential candidate this year, the Grand Dragon of the KKK lives here, and we still fly the Confederate Flag in front of the State House (they DID take it down from the dome a couple of years back). The voting booths only have handles on the right hand sides, the children raised under sucessive republican governors are dumber than gum stumps, the IQs in some counties barely exceeds the number of teeth the residents have left, and there are more Baptist churches than McDonalds and WalMarts combined.

You want conservative, Come On Down! We've got it to spare.

You want a window to it, visit http://www.friendsofsc.com/forums/index.php and check out especially the Dillon section. You'll be amazed. The thread on cleaning deer in the backyard is especially good.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
South Carolina sounds like backwoods New Hampshire but warmer.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times
Quote:
Again, I guess "social issues" are subjective.
Conservatives like myself despise government interference on commerce, regardless of the product that's sold.

Government interference = liberalism, no matter what the issue. Murder and assault don't count because you are directly imposing on another's life and liberty.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
South Carolina sounds like backwoods New Hampshire but warmer.

At least you have scenery.

The birds here are neat, though. They only fly in circles since they only have right wings.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Between Va and Florida? That would probably be us, SC. My wife and I moved here 2 years ago from TPOC (The People's Republic of California) and looove it. The people are genuinely so nice and it's a great place to raise children.
Just keep this in mind: a true conservative who raises children would do so on their own means ... no handouts or free rides from the taxpayers/government. That includes sending them to private schools, or home schooling them ... so public school would be out of the question because that's the same thing as taking a free ride on the taxpayers' backs.

Quote:
Depends what the "social issues" are. One mans "choice" is another mans "brutally murdered pre-born baby".
But abortion is a legal practice. Also, it is likely to stay legal for a very long time on a national level because Obama is pro choice, and he will nominate Supreme Court justices who share his ideology. I'm not saying abortion is the best choice available. Personally, I'm against it when it's used for birth control or gender selection. However, I'm even more opposed to breeders having multiple kids who expect the government to subsidize their irresponsible reproductive habits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Conservatives like myself despise government interference on commerce, regardless of the product that's sold.

Government interference = liberalism, no matter what the issue. Murder and assault don't count because you are directly imposing on another's life and liberty.
Absolutely right! Any kind of government interference on social or fiscal matters isn't true conservativism. Like you said, the only exception to that is when somebody violates somebody else's constitutional rights. Abortion doesn't count because the fetus is still a part of the woman's body ... so forcing her to go through with an unwanted pregnancy would be a violation of HER rights. The militant anti abortion crowd that wants a complete ban on the practice will first have to succeed in changing when a life is legally counted as a human being. As of now, it's not officially a human being until birth.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
I was ecstatic that Virginia & North Carolina voted Blue. I am mindful that Bob Jones University is in South Carolina. But overall the conservative states are also leaning Democratic so the nation is turning more progressive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies