Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:14 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times

Advertisements

Rich people might as well get their social security. It is their money. They paid into it for 50 years while working. Of course the return on the money invested in social security is 1.8% so the money grew very little, if at all, over those 50 years compared to the 8% on average the money would have gotten in the stock market. Everyone better have more money saved for retirement as the money from SS won't go very far....
It would be great if I could get the 200k that is in my name for SS and put it in my 401k now; it would be worth much more in 20 years than what SS will return. Of course that "money" only exists on paper so this will never happen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
SS is not meant to be a retirement plan. It's a safety net for elderly who cannot or did not save for retirement.
Wrong. It does not go to just those that cannot or did not save for retirement; it goes to everyone that contributed one they become elderly. For elderly people to get money they would have had to have put money in, so they did, in fact, save for retirement. It is a forced government retirement savings program.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Wrong. It does not go to just those that cannot or did not save for retirement; it goes to everyone that contributed one they become elderly. For elderly people to get money they would have had to have put money in, so they did, in fact, save for retirement. It is a forced government retirement savings program.

The Government doesn't call it a retirement plan. They make no claims that it will provide for all your needs in retirement. And if you consider it a retirement plan be prepared for a World of hurt...LOL

It is what it is. A safety net where all workers are forced to contribute in differing amounts to to provide a small amount of money for the most elderly. And yes it's a progressive program where those who make more recieve less a benefit. ......boo hoo.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:33 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is because state and local employees were allowed to vote to either join or not join social security as per federal court decision. Many police and fire decided not to join but alot did. The ones that joined have had social security withdrawn form their checks for years. but as to the teacher in Texas they voted not to join. Then it was found that many were switching to administrative jobs that had voted to join for a mininum of quarters and double dipping. That was stopped for the same reason that you have to decide to join the SS prescription drug benefit when eligable or get a penalty. If teachers want to join SS they need to decide to pay into it their entire working lifes just as others on social security have ;not put that money into their private retirement then want to later join and collect benefits.Teachers need to join at the start of their career if they want equal benefits not rely on others paying into the system all their careers for them to benefit.The court decision effected all sate and local empoyeees in that they could not be forced to join federal SS program and they were allowed to vote on it.Now they6 want both nenefits of not paying and then working a minumum of qaurters and collecting . Taht is unfair to those that paid all their lworking lkifes. besides they are the ones that voted not to join.
Again, I only want the benefits for the years that I actually paid into Social Security. Nothing more. My wife never paid into Social Security, and she does not expect benefits.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So instead we put our money into an organization that is $11 Trillion dollars in debt? How does that make sense by any streach of the imagination?

The government obviously has proven it cannot manage money, and yet we still don't complain about putting our retirement in their hands! To me, this just doesn't make sense.
It doesn't make sense to you because you're ignorantly comparing an "organization" as you call it to a Government.

Governments don't go out of business. They continue to operate as long as they have the ability to tax. How safe is your SS? About as safe as the chance that the USA's Federal Government will be taxing Americans at the time you retire......That's a pretty damn safe bet.

Right wingers only compare SS to a retirment plan (As if anybody makes that claim) so they can criticize it. It's a terrible retirement plan. I hope you look at other means to fund your retirement....LOL

Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Can well to do Americans refuse to accept Social Security checks?
My Step Grandfather worked well into his 80's... maybe 86? He had been paying into the system since inception back in the 1930's... he never accepted a single check during his lifetime.

He was grateful for the opportunities the United States afforded him coming here as an immigrant in the 1920's. He wasn't RICH... just comfortable with his modest 50 year old home paid off and drove a 20 year old Ford LTD... even at age 85, he was still the first one in the shop every morning and the last to leave.

After he passed, my Grandmother did collect a couple of years as his widow a little over $2200 each month before she passed. $2200 a month was about 3 times what the typical widow received back then... her benefit increased each quarter her Husband paid into the system... well over 50 years...

I started paying Social Security at age 12...

Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Step Grandfather worked well into his 80's... maybe 86? He had been paying into the system since inception back in the 1930's... he never accepted a single check during his lifetime.

He was grateful for the opportunities the United States afforded him coming here as an immigrant in the 1920's. He wasn't RICH... just comfortable with his modest 50 year old home paid off and drove a 20 year old Ford LTD... even at age 85, he was still the first one in the shop every morning and the last to leave.

After he passed, my Grandmother did collect a couple of years as his widow a little over $2200 each month before she passed. $2200 a month was about 3 times what the typical widow received back then... her benefit increased each quarter her Husband paid into the system... well over 50 years...

I started paying Social Security at age 12...
Yes. I talk about paying maximum social security for 12 years. The truth is, I have paid into Social Security since I was 13.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It doesn't make sense to you because you're ignorantly comparing an "organization" as you call it to a Government.

Governments don't go out of business. They continue to operate as long as they have the ability to tax. How safe is your SS? About as safe as the chance that the USA's Federal Government will be taxing Americans at the time you retire......That's a pretty damn safe bet.

Right wingers only compare SS to a retirment plan (As if anybody makes that claim) so they can criticize it. It's a terrible retirement plan. I hope you look at other means to fund your retirement....LOL
sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough. I wasn't comparing the government it an organization, I was calling it one.

And the fact that people like you treat governments like they are untouchable and infallallible is a huge problem. As long as people assume the government has it all together, the longer problems will continue. We need to think for ourselves and not just assume a few hundred people in washington are going to turn it around for us.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I think those under 40 should stop paying into social security.
By the time it's time for me to retire, there probably won't even be social security and I'm getting all this money taken out my check every two weeks for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies