Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 05:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,187,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Like we could afford to bail out the banks and corporate CEO's
And, IMO, we should not have "bailed out" the banks or automakers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM

5,224 posts, read 4,996,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, IMO, we should not have "bailed out" the banks or automakers

Holy cow.. we agree on something.

The point of my post is that the excuse of "we don't have money" is BS .. we certainly found it when the CEO's needed it..yet can't manage to find any when people are dying because they can't access healthcare due to lack of affordability or insurance that is affordable..

Old 02-04-2009, 05:13 PM

8,593 posts, read 9,087,324 times
Good point TristansMommy. What's the tally now, 2 trillion dollars for these demi gods? The numbers I've heard for UHI is between 250-350 billion per year. I'm not in favor of a government run medical system
because I don't trust the Feds and the politicians. As stated earlier the best minds need to put something together and get these SOB insurance companies out of the way with the help of the federal government.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,187,037 times
Quote:
Holy cow.. we agree on something.

The point of my post is that the excuse of "we don't have money" is BS .. we certainly found it when the CEO's needed it..yet can't manage to find any when people are dying because they can't access healthcare due to lack of affordability or insurance that is affordable..
You are misrepresenting the bailouts TM

And, we do not have the money for a UHI

We don't have the money for this so-called stimulus package either.

Your great-great grandchildren are being saddled with this debt

Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,913,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Drover,
The reason you oppose UHC is because of the politicians who would be in control of it? Or are you just opposed?
One of a few, which is a sub-set of my general fear that it will get kicked around like a political football instead of being focused on delivering quality services (see: public education). For better or worse, we as a body politic argue EVERYTHING into the ground that gets exposed to the political process. I think that's a great process for political issues. It's not such a great process for providing basic services. I simply do not trust something as personal as health care being turned over to the political process. Or I should say, even more so than it already has been.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM

272 posts, read 407,454 times
USA doesnt have a Univeral Health Care for 2 reasons

1) Wealthy Republicans dont want to put money into a Universal Health Care like every 1st and 2nd world nation on the planet, they can currently profit off the system and they only have to pay a small fee

2) The Crooked Insurance companies are in bed with many people in Washington and they
will prevent America from having a real decent health care because they have to much money to lose

These are basically the only 2 reasons, the only people to benefit from not having a Universal Health Care are the crooked wealthy Republican pigs, and the crooked wealthy Insurance Companies

Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,428,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
ust my .02- i have no magical answer of course. But isn;t it POSSIBLE that the US COULD come up with a HC system that is the envy of the rest of the world? With all the brilliant minds and technologies we have in the US WHY isn;t it possible to put collective minds together, and come up with AFFORDABLE & MORE ACCESSIBLE health care for US citizens? It doesn;t have to be a "free lunch" nor should we "give away the store", but just make it more fair for as many US citizens as possible. A bit idealistic I know, but a person can dream can;t they
Besides' on apersonal note, the folks I personally come across who rail against changing the current "system" in any way, are almost always affluent, or currently making big $$$ in the HC industry in some capacity. A lot of the folks i know were born into affluence, and have never had to worry about health care for them in any way.
This is really the best post I have seen on this subject. I do think, that health care, like education, should be accessible to everyone. I've dealt with the insurance companies both as a consumer and a provider, and they suck! Some of the European plans are models upon which we could build, e.g. Germany's. Not have an exact same system, but build upon it. If anyone wants to know how it works, google it.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,428,369 times
Quote:
I completely understand your frustration.

I too take good care and "personal responsibility" for my health. I've NEVER done drugs, I don't drink and detest cigarettes. At the age of 16 I was diagnosed with onset juvenile diabetes.

As a diabetic itake good care of myself and keep my blood glucose in control. Heck, I even work out , lately EVERY day (which has significantly decreased the units of insulin I take ..etc.).

yet.. insurance for me is hard to find. I dont' have the luxury of shopping around for a plan.. only 1 company will take me as an insured (I must buy my own, self employed) and their prices are NOT very competitive..

But.. people do not get it.. they just don't. ...especially those on this board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Here's another concern I have about our current system that seems to be beloved by so many:
I really detest some (not all) folks who just say"buy your own HI, it's called "personal responsibility".
All my life, I took excellent care of myself, ate right, exercised regularly, never smoked/drank etc , in other words took Personal Responsiblilty(PR) age 21 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis in spite of my PR. I was basically uninsurable unless it was thru work, which I had lucklily. Fast forward to 2002, I was "cured" of my disease, doing triathlons, keeping myself in the bes tshape of my life. My annual physicals came back w/outstanding results in all areas. Good right? Guess again I've been laid off 2x in the last 2 yrs, and HAD to shell out COBRA, because, in spite of my Personal REsponsiblity, and excellent physical health, and healthy lifestyle, NO insurance company would cover me period, end of story because of my UC that was cured 6 years ago. I know my story is similar to many other folks out there, and these HI companies should be ashamed. As one VP of an unnamed Hi company told upon denial" If we covered folks who really need HI, our profits would be too low, and we wouldn't get our bonuses"
Sorry for the novel, I have no answers, just a lot of frustration esp with the "personal responsibilty" crowd. Just wait until something not your fault happens to you or a loved one, then talk big
I, too, take issue with the "personal responsibility" crowd. I do think smoking should be strongly discouraged, and stop smoking programs offered through insurance (some do this now), ditto weight loss, and the like. However, it is necessary to keep in mind that not every person's blood pressure and/or cholesterol will go down if they lose weight, exercise more, etc. Much is due to genes. My daughter got melanoma on an area of her body that the sun does not shine on; she was born with the patch. These things happen.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:10 PM

272 posts, read 407,454 times
the "personal responsibility" crowd are generally wealthy Republicans who have never worked a day in their life, life makes sense for them up on top where they have no problems and they are able to control the people on the bottom, these are the people who think we should all be responsible for ourselves, these are the people who think all someone has to do is to become a lawyer or doctor if they want to live a good life, or invest alot in oil or wars and vote Republican

Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 PM

312 posts, read 506,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Why doesn't the United States have Universal Health Care??
because America is a free country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies