Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 06:02 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,608 times

Advertisements

Mandatory insurance is NOT communism.

We have mandatory insurance to drive a car.. Why? because ultimately the other people sharing the road with you need YOU to hve insurance so that if YOU have an accident with them You will get compensated for injuries inflicted on you by the other driver.

Same with health insurance. Right now, all of us are carrying the burden for someone who is uninsured and goes to an ER and never pays the bill. If everyone were required to have insurance then that person would be covered, their bill would get paid and the price wouldn't need to be jacked up to cover what they lost from non payment.

Also.. it spreads the pool. However, insurance NEEDS to be affordable in order for it to be required of all citizens.

MY opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Yeah, I mean why don't we just call everything "Communist" and start making our own rules up, as "individuals". Now wouldn't that just be a great idea Rules, regulations and governments....we don't need those things ...the individual *always* knows best and his/her freedom should be protected at all cost, screw society.

If that ever happens, I'll run just about as far from the United States as you can get....it'd be pure anarchy; a dog eat dog society.
what so many people dont' get is that we are a sOCIETY.. and when actions of someone else harm others, there needs to be rules.

For example.. why is car insurance mandatory? You think anyone cares if the "individual" loses his or her car etc. NO>. it's because being on the road you have a responsibility to the other drives on the road.. in otherwords, if you screw up, have an accident because you screwed up you hurt someone else, then that someone else needs to be compensated for your screw up.

if we were only a society of individuals.. then go right ahead nd drive drunk.. HOWEVEr.. when YOUR driving drunk harms someone else,then you no longer have the right to choose to drink and drive.

And sometimes laws need to be made to protect us from ourselves.. there are a few of those out there.. like the seat belt laws...

Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
are you aware that the trend now is for employers to cover ONLY the employee.. and if you wnat to cover the "family" it needs to be removed from you paycheck. .

Which has been the norm for decades TM

Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,149,301 times
Quote:
are you aware that the trend now is for employers to cover ONLY the employee.. and if you wnat to cover the "family" it needs to be removed from you paycheck. Which, bTW.. could be HUGE chunk of you paycheck depending.

I just applied for a job where insurance was offered ONLY to the employee.
Hey listen, I know about health care costs I'm self employed paying $1200 per month for a crappy HMO

I think we are headed towards a UHC as the business community is pushing us towards it via HSAs and what you explained above. By making the business paid insurance less attractive,(there was talk from some Dem leaders they would prefer to put back Bush's tax cuts to those making over $250K and replace it with a tax on people's company paid healthcare insurance ala McCain's plan) people will be more likely to approve a change. Nothing is set at this point.

We can argue all day about what the country should do, but all points are moot until we get a dollar amount of what it will cost us for the plan and what its limitations will be. I just hope President Obama is sincere in keeping things as transparent as possible and will educate the public about the pros and cons about whatever his plan becomes.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
We have mandatory insurance to drive a car..
Do you need insuance to own that car TM?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM

Mandating that EVERYONE has health insurance will not happen - Besides that, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to accomplish.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Do you need insuance to own that car TM?

No.. but hten the car is useless if it can't be driven Just like my body is useless if it DIES due to LACK OF ACCESS to the healthcare BECAUSE of affordability (of insurance or the meds/procedures).

Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:

LOL.. maybe in GD Universe last time I was looking for a job I never had to ask if the coverage extends only to ME etc.. That happened in the last 6 years!!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,958 times
Quote:
Very misleading response...

The out of pocket costs of employer provided health care is beyond the reach of many today - and is only getting worse...

Most companies charge a nominal amount for employee-only health care - it goes up disproportionately when you add the family. It's that way at my employer - they pass most of the additional cost beyond employee-only coverage on to the employee. As a result, family coverage can easily be unafordable - even with large deductables.

It did NOT used to be this way 10 years ago. Family coverage was available and proportionately much less expensive than today.

There are plenty of well to do who could care less about this problem - I fully realize it.

What they DON'T realize is that the working class is fed up and not going to tolerate being 2nd class citizens any longer.

National Health Care is going to be a reality - sooner than you realize.

I think the current system is broken beyond repair - and that we desperately need a single payer national system.

And I have good family coverage in case you're wondering. I just think it is a disgrace, and will eventually lead to serious social unrest, if the completely unfair current situation goes on any longer.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
LOL.. maybe in GD Universe last time I was looking for a job I never had to ask if the coverage extends only to ME etc.. That happened in the last 6 years!!
I did not say TM that it was the same with each and every employer.

I will say again, and stand by my statement, that it has been common place for employers to offer paid insurance for the employee and require the employee pay, in part, or in whole, for additional coverage for their family.

And, I dare say, I have far more experience that you have ever had TM. And, that is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies