Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
That's your cure for the health care system, fraud. Is that what you taught your children lie, cheat and steal you'll get by just fine.
I am not suggesting that as a cure for our system.

In the context of who has heard of folks avoiding medical care due to the expected costs; I have heard of folks using the ER and scamming so as not to pay.

The last time that my Dw had a heart attack, we went to an ER. While filling out the paperwork I was told by the person at the intake desk. That they do get a lot of people in their ER who falsify the info.

So it seems to be a method being used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am not suggesting that as a cure for our system.

In the context of who has heard of folks avoiding medical care due to the expected costs; I have heard of folks using the ER and scamming so as not to pay.

The last time that my Dw had a heart attack, we went to an ER. While filling out the paperwork I was told by the person at the intake desk. That they do get a lot of people in their ER who falsify the info.

So it seems to be a method being used.

Scamming?? Excuse me.... but who the hell is "scamming".. LOL.. Did they make up an illness to go to the ER to get MONEY?? HUH? Why do you think they falsify the information could it be that they'll be socked with a bill in the thousands and they didn't have insurance to cover them becasue they couldn't AFFORD the insurance

Those that DON'T falsify their information and end up IN the hospital then socked with a BIG BILL end up declaring bankruptcy anyway.. and the bill goes unpaid.

As for not obtaining care.. perhaps you missed the post where people do not get PREVENTATIVE CARE or go to a DR to fix a problem UNTIL it becomes such a HUGE problem that they end up in the ER to fix something that would have been less severe in the first place and /or could have been managed so as not to require emergent services that are extremely expensive!!!

FOXNews.com - Emergency Rooms in America: A Deadly Prognosis - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337295,00.html - broken link)

Quote:
Americans are using emergency rooms more than ever in today’s society. In 2005, 115 million Americans went to the ER, up five million from the year before, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
— Between 1994 and 2004, there was a 20 percent increase in the demand for emergency care, according to the CDC, which is most likely due to an increase in the nations’ uninsured and growing elderly population.
Quote:
Dr. Brian F. Keaton, chairman of the board of directors of the ACEP, practices emergency medicine in Akron, Ohio. His story illustrates the situation faced by many doctors.
“I have people who come to my clinic with a headache caused by high blood pressure. I give them the medicine to bring the blood pressure down and a prescription,” Keaton said in an anguished tone.
“Many of them don’t have the money to fill it. I have no place in the system to care for them until they end up back here with a stroke because they weren’t taking their medication.”
79 Million US Adults Have Medical Bill Problems Or Are Paying Off Medical Debt
Quote:
The proportion of working-age Americans who have medical bill problems or who are paying off medical debt climbed from 34 percent to 41 percent between 2005 and 2007, bringing the total to 72 million, according to recent survey findings from The Commonwealth Fund. In addition, 7 million adults age 65 and over also had problems paying medical bills, for a total of 79 million adults with medical bill problems or medical debt.
I think you need to come better armed to the debate rather than spewing hyperbole and rhetoric.... and making silly statements that can't be backed up (ie: people scamming in the ER)

Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
For all you people that think corporate America is best at delivering services, here's a hint their not. What they are best at is maximizing their bonuses, if that leaves you bleeding in the street, they'll sleep just fine.
I agree

Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Remember, this whole issue isn't just about folks who lack insurance, it should also be about the hassles the health insurance industry puts their members through. Not only did my wife and I have an HMO, the HMO purposely neglected her chronic condition and even told me on the phone two times that they never heard of her disease.
We changed our coverage to BCBS PPO paying $800 a month with no lapse in coverage for her and BCBS refused to pay the doctors for 8 months because they said it was a pre-existing condition in which it wasn't because of no lapse in coverage and they ended up paying. That caused my wife's doctors to be very short with us and her care and pissed me off to no end. It appears that when you get sick with something chronic these companies look for a way out, no doubt and that is unexcusable, and they are allowed to do it and that is also unexcusable. Certain heads should roll very soon if this ***** keeps up. It's gotten to the point that I'm leary of using my insurance for a checkup etc, fearing BCBS may say "Jesus H Christ, now the husband is using the insurance, Refuse to pay!"

Last edited by jmking; 03-31-2009 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,564 times
TM, BC, and J144, I think I understand the angle you are coming from. And jmking, I believe I know exactly what you are talking about here.

I have no doubt that insurance companies are only in business to make money. However, I don't believe the federal govenmet's ambitions are any more noble than those of insurance companies. The idea of having affordable (free) medical coverage for every citizen sounds great. Who wouldn't want that? I just suspect that affordable (free) medical (health) care is not going to be free. Who is going to pay for that? For whoever is going to be paying for that, it is not going to be free.

I don't make a whole lot of money but, between taxes (income, property, and sales) and insurance premiums (medical, home owners and auto) I'm spending about 50% of what I gross. What is left goes to our food, gas and living expenses. Sorry but, I am tapped out to pay any higher taxes to fund socialized medicine.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
I don't make a whole lot of money but, between taxes (income, property, and sales) and insurance premiums (medical, home owners and auto) I'm spending about 50% of what I gross. What is left goes to our food, gas and living expenses. Sorry but, I am tapped out to pay any higher taxes to fund socialized medicine.
The point is that the medical insurance payment would be for UHC instead of set up the way it is now.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The point is that the medical insurance payment would be for UHC instead of set up the way it is now.
Do ya think that would be tax deductable?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:10 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
please, please explain this to me. considering we paid out 440 billion dollars last year in Medicare alone.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

but health is not a right, and neither is UHC.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Any effective solution to the Healthcare crisis we face, has to address the real souce of the problem. I am one of the millions who have added to the Healthcare problem that we all now have to deal with. Several decades of my lack of taking responsibility for my own health, resulted in several diseases that required, and still do, very expensive Healthcare. Insurance had to pay most of the cost, which has contributed to the affordability of insurance costs nationwide I can only imagine how many millions of people who are now doing exactly what I have done. All of the diseases I eventually developed were avoidable, had I fully recognized my own responsibility. How do you actually reach all those people that currently don’t give nutrition a thought? The only way most get any information or education is via TV. Are we serious enough to have the Govt go to the expense of using it? Are TV companies willing to air ads that may directly conflict with certain advertisers? Would the Govt. be willing to institute a program for example called “Good Choice” where when people shop for groceries, that get a credit to an account for making good food choices. Money for these accounts could come from producers of “Good Choice” foods, Companies that recognize the value of healthier employees, etc. These accounts could then be used to help cover co-pays on care or drugs. Something like this would be complicated, but in today’s world, technically possible. Dr David Katz, of Yale University, has some initiatives in operation, that if they were ever to be widespread, the health care demand would be lowered, the cost of Insurance would be lowered, and the overall Healthcare System, might eventually be able to cope with our health care needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies