Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:56 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times

Advertisements

The United States of America/The most powerful country in the world
Yes the United States is the most powerful country in the world but is it gonna stay that way if all our resources are going to rebuild other countries that don't even want our help or to "save" illegals from a life of misery and wo!
What about what is happening in our own backyard?? People starving, homeless, illiterate?? Katrina was a prime example of how this country just does not have it as together as they should to help their own. Shouldn't we be trying harder to keep this great country great and building ourselves up rather than trying to play the saviour and peacemaker for others??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 03:18 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,063 times
Its in our strategic interest to have stability in certain areas ... or instability in some cases.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:25 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
it is in the founding of our nation, the Puritans came to seek religious freedom and it is in their beliefs alot of our founding beliefs and one is the christian belief of caring for the poor, going into all the world to share the good news and help the poor

Old 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
The United States of America/The most powerful country in the world
Yes the United States is the most powerful country in the world but is it gonna stay that way if all our resources are going to rebuild other countries that don't even want our help or to "save" illegals from a life of misery and wo!
What about what is happening in our own backyard?? People starving, homeless, illiterate?? Katrina was a prime example of how this country just does not have it as together as they should to help their own. Shouldn't we be trying harder to keep this great country great and building ourselves up rather than trying to play the saviour and peacemaker for others??
There will always be poor, always. There will always be people that don't want to work, don't want to learn, don't want to hold a job. I don't see any people "starving". Our poor would look like royalty to your average middle class ethiopian.

I would say, to answer your question, the answer is two fold: 1.) As the greatest power in the world we see ourselves as world leaders, not followers, and to at least try to improve the world (sometimes the results don't turn out well, but our goals are honorable, and 2.) We live in a global society. The sure result of us no longer becoming a great country is to become isolationists. For better or worse, whatever happens in Pakistan, whatever happens in China, whatever happens in Bolivia, effects us here. We must stay involved on the global scene - that includes giving aid, giving comfort, etc when needed.

Katrina was a prime example of what? I will tell you what - it's a prime example of the failure of the welfare state, it's a prime example of inneffeciencies in the state and federal cooperation (more to due with the complications of our government structure/constitution then anything else), it's a prime example of bad leadership to a certain degree on BOTH the local and federal level. It has absoutely nothing to do with your subject of foreign aid.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Why does the USA have such a desire to help other people/nations??
Because our nation was founded upon the principle that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. All people, not just all Americans. Liberty is in our instinct as a nation, and that's a good thing. We should desire to help other people.

The problem we're in now is that our leaders seem to think that the best way to do that is with war. That's not true. War must always be an option to provide for the common defense, but it should always be the last option, and a free, democratic people should never use it for offense.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM

436 posts, read 681,707 times
message deleted

Old 03-13-2007, 04:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
1.) As the greatest power in the world we see ourselves as world leaders, not followers, and to at least try to improve the world (sometimes the results don't turn out well, but our goals are honorable, and 2.) We live in a global society. The sure result of us no longer becoming a great country is to become isolationists. For better or worse, whatever happens in Pakistan, whatever happens in China, whatever happens in Bolivia, effects us here. We must stay involved on the global scene - that includes giving aid, giving comfort, etc when needed.
Good post carolinajack. I totally agree with you and with the above quote. I'm just wondering where do we stop?? I'm all for helping those in need and being good world leaders and trying to improve the world but at what cost?? I mean I don't want to sound selfish but why are we (well the corrupt government) more concerned with rebuilding a nation that doesn't even like us and helping millions of "illegals" live a so called better life; than bettering our own?? I mean I get so ticked off that I went through all kinds of bureacratic crap (and my husband) to get me here legally and I can't even get the benefits they can. When I applied for Medicaid i was actually told it would have been better for me if I had been illegal!
I guess I was off on the Katrina thing. I dunno I just thought I heard on the news that there wasn't enough national guard because they were all in Iraq.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
why are we (well the corrupt government) more concerned with rebuilding a nation that doesn't even like us
Well, if you really think we invaded Iraq for the benefit of the Iraqi people...well, I guess you vote Republican.

Seriously though, the war in Iraq has very little to do with establishing freedom anywhere else in the world. Go back and read all the reasons why George Bush, Sr. wouldn't invade Iraq back in the '80s. All of those reasons were no less true under George Bush, Jr.

Quote:
and helping millions of "illegals" live a so called better life; than bettering our own??
The reason for that one is very simple: Because our Congress and our President aren't accountable to we the people anymore. They're more concerned with corporate lobbyists, and corporations LOVE illegal immigrants. They don't have to give them any rights, can pay them slave wages, and owe them no benefits. The corporations don't really want to fix illegal immigration. They just want to look like they want to fix illegal immigration so that the rest of us will keep shopping at Wal-Mart.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
The USA sticks its nose into other countries' business for a variety of reasons.
I agree a bit with all of the posts: stevo, carolinajack, Dd714, and MarkS.
Dd714, I do see kids who are hungry. No other word describes them.
They are simply not getting enough to eat.
According to the latest report, many Americans are living in poverty:
Undoubtedly, some of them have made poor choices--but 16 million?
Based on the latest available US census data from 2005, the McClatchy Newspapers analysis found that almost 16 million Americans live in "deep or severe poverty" defined as a family of four with two children earning less than 9,903 dollars -- one half the federal poverty line figure.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070225/ts_alt_afp/useconomypoverty_070225003515 (broken link)

Old 03-13-2007, 05:30 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
[quote=Mark S.;454387]Well, if you really think we invaded Iraq for the benefit of the Iraqi people...well, I guess you vote Republican.

Mark S your all right. You crack me up. I'm gonna have to put you right up there w/Mort Kondrake and Alan Combs. You are a funny, thoughtful, and unoffensive liberal (no offense intended). And usually when I type out that word it is intended! But you call yourself one so. . .

And your post is soo true, I did vote Republican and I truly believe we invaded Iraq to benefit the Iraqis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies