Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm not upset because Muslim women subscribe to a different religion than I. What bothers me is the oppression and degredation that wearing those scarves and burkas represents. It's not about freedom of religion; it's about bringing into the U.S. primitive ways of thinking that Western culture shed centuries ago.

In Muslim culture, if a woman is raped, she can be stoned to death for bringing shame to her family. Would you condone that practice in the U.S.? All in the name of freedom of religion?
I'm well aware of all this

So you'd be more comfortable if they could not wear their scarves in the store.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm not upset because Muslim women subscribe to a different religion than I. What bothers me is the oppression and degredation that wearing those scarves and burkas represents. It's not about freedom of religion; it's about bringing into the U.S. primitive ways of thinking that Western culture shed centuries ago.

In Muslim culture, if a woman is raped, she can be stoned to death for bringing shame to her family. Would you condone that practice in the U.S.? All in the name of freedom of religion?
Oh the humanity. So, wearing a scarf now means we condone rape and stoning of women to death? You're a genius.

Listen, as long as the employer had no problem with the scarf wearing, and no tax dollars were used to enforce the scarf wearing and the spreading of the Muslim religion, your complaint is nothing more than a petty gripe.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Guess we were both just naive. We just never understood that it was "all about us", and that if our employer didn't like the way we looked, he could just DEAL with it....and if the CUSTOMERS were 'put off' by our attitude, they could just go somewhere else !!

Boy, did WE let ourselves be fooled !!

I happened to think that the old ways taught us responsibility and the value of work. too many ppl nowadays could care less and are slackers.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Does the store have a dress code? If it does and it does not include scarves then I feel it is acceptable to ban the scarves. As said earlier. They are free to seek employment else wear if they find the code unacceptable.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:40 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

I'd actually be more comfortable if they didn't wear their scarves anywhere, much less in the store.

Muslim culture makes me cringe. The men are barbaric in their treatment and disdain of women. I'd prefer not to have to witness that...period.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Does the store have a dress code? If it does and it does not include scarves then I feel it is acceptable to ban the scarves. As said earlier. They are free to seek employment else wear if they find the code unacceptable.
Evidently not one that restricts these scarves, and even if it did, the employer would have met the women at the job interview, where they would also have been wearing their scarves.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post

In any case, it wouldn't bother me and I would hope that if I were a Muslim the person who is considering me for a job will look past the scarf/hijab/whatever and see me as a qualified person for the job not THE MUSLIM WOMAN.

If it bothered you so much, why did you go back?
Did the women bring out the Quaran and try to convert you?

Oh yeah, just so you know...many Muslim are born and raised in the U.S. They don't all come from the Middle East.
I happened to like the store itself. I would not get in that line to be checked out though. She was too scary with her full length hajib and she probably couldn't speak english either. Any way, I'm glad to see that the 2 scarved women are gone!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I happened to think that the old ways taught us responsibility and the value of work. too many ppl nowadays could care less and are slackers.
You are veering away from your original post. You were complaining about women wearing scarves. Where does it say that wearing a scarf is equivalent to being a slacker? I suspect this is your ploy to divert the discussion since your original post has been smacked down for its patent silliness.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Oh the humanity. So, wearing a scarf now means we condone rape and stoning of women to death? You're a genius.

Listen, as long as the employer had no problem with the scarf wearing, and no tax dollars were used to enforce the scarf wearing and the spreading of the Muslim religion, your complaint is nothing more than a petty gripe.
You remind of the empty-headed liberals who are so hell-bent on individual freedoms that you can't see the whole picture. So you would condone the scarves and burkas....clearly a symbol of misogyny and female persecution, all in the name of freedom?

By the way...you twisted my words to make it sound like I was insinuating that condoning wearing a burka is the same as condoning the stoning of women. You know that's not what I meant. Or do you?

Hmm...maybe you're just not very bright..

Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
makes sense they should be able to ask, but we live in a strange world.
a cop should be able to shoot back at somebody trying to kill him, but they go to jail for that all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies