Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:30 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
I mean, in a LARGE CITY LIKE NYC ...

Don't forget that, on top of everything else, the majority of places in New York City have other than a "New York, NY" mailing address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Don't forget that, on top of everything else, the majority of places in New York City have other than a "New York, NY" mailing address.

I sent a prescription to Wisconsin, priority mail confirm signature.

Do you think they sent it DIRECTLY TO Wisconsin ? NOOOOOO.

They sent it CROSS COUNTRY TO SAN DIEGO, THEN THEY SENT IT, FROM SAN DIEGO TO WISCONSIN !

All for about, $4.30 .

NOW, HOW WOULD ANYONE MAKE ANY MONEY ON A TRIP LIKE THAT, COMPLETELY ACROSS COUNTRY....OVERFLYING WISCONSIN...THEN ALL THE WAY BACK, HALF WAY ACROSS THE COUNTRY, AGAIN, TO WHERE THEY ALREADY FLEW PASSED ?

You can't convince me they saved ANY money !

NO WONDER THEY ARE LOSING MONEY !

Old 02-14-2009, 09:10 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
I sent a prescription to Wisconsin, priority mail confirm signature.

Do you think they sent it DIRECTLY TO Wisconsin ? NOOOOOO.

They sent it CROSS COUNTRY TO SAN DIEGO, THEN THEY SENT IT, FROM SAN DIEGO TO WISCONSIN !

All for about, $4.30 .

NOW, HOW WOULD ANYONE MAKE ANY MONEY ON A TRIP LIKE THAT, COMPLETELY ACROSS COUNTRY....OVERFLYING WISCONSIN...THEN ALL THE WAY BACK, HALF WAY ACROSS THE COUNTRY, AGAIN, TO WHERE THEY ALREADY FLEW PASSED ?

You can't convince me they saved ANY money !

NO WONDER THEY ARE LOSING MONEY !
Where it goes is based on the first three digits of the zip code.So anything for centereach 11720(117) goes to Melville for processing before it leaves.The post office has a government deal because they are kind of part of the federal government so mail is sent in large bags on commercial airliners.As for going to CA with a final destination of Wisconsin it's either a fluke or postal management was directly in charge of delivering that one.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:18 PM

The post office is losing money in my opinion because (#1) in most states that are lower income then NY you can't get a salary starting at $20/hr. (#2) in most of those states the employees will work forever because they obviously live like kings. (#3) instead of offering reasonable early out buyouts for senior employees which would significantly cut down on salary costs,they instead offer early outs with no monetary incentives.So if you're a guy in Florida making $1000/week and you're home is appraised at $175k,your taxes are 2500/yr why would you ever leave? Most of the guys I know down there told me they would stay till death or their arms fell off. The problem is that the post office hierarchy are a bunch of self centered children who like to get into pissing contests with everyone and like George Bush will never admit when they are wrong. They would rather sink the company then suck up their pride!!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:46 PM

17 posts, read 31,743 times
Quote:
The last few days told us about how the US Post Office is going to be taking measures to "cut back" service.

I've noticed, spotty, NON-delivery of the mail to my street. For one reason or another, absolutely NO truck delivery on certain days.

Anyone else on the Island ?
We do a good deal of shipping, and although my business is seasonal so we're not shipping much right now, I've noticed a few outgoing shipments that are taking longer than normal (priority mail both domestic and international) and I can't say I'm surprised. They've recently undergone layoffs and volume was way off for 2008. Overall though, they still do a great job and are preferred over UPS/FEDEX. I haven't noticed any changes in our incoming mail.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBB View Post
We do a good deal of shipping, and although my business is seasonal so we're not shipping much right now, I've noticed a few outgoing shipments that are taking longer than normal (priority mail both domestic and international) and I can't say I'm surprised. They've recently undergone layoffs and volume was way off for 2008. Overall though, they still do a great job and are preferred over UPS/FEDEX. I haven't noticed any changes in our incoming mail.

That's the one thing I can't deny as a worker---our rates are mostly better especially for priority(2-3 days).If you know which class to use for the customer we are still the best but the first class mail and now even the bulk mail has lost alot of volume due to online payments and bills.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
At all of the locations I've lived in NY and there have been several I've ALWAYS had good and helpful mailpersons. Listen the fact that for 50 cents I can send a piece of paper over 3,000 miles away with a better than likely chance it'll get to the one person I intended it to get to is pretty amazing.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:11 PM

You're right!I have been working there for quite sometime and when I sit back and think about it,it still amazes me.Unfortunately the rates are going up again soon and what i'm hearing is 2 cents for first class.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You're right!I have been working there for quite sometime and when I sit back and think about it,it still amazes me.Unfortunately the rates are going up again soon and what i'm hearing is 2 cents for first class.
Yes, 44 cents for first ounce come May 10th, I believe. Time to stock up on more "forever" stamps???

Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It's worth it. I drop a letter in a box in NY. Four days later it shows up exactly where I want it to and I didn't do anything. It's magic as far a I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies