Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Feds be Allowed to limit execs' pay at banks that get aid
Yes 69 84.15%
No 12 14.63%
Other 0 0%
Not Sure 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,788,533 times

Advertisements

Public pressure does seem to have an impact.

After outcry, Wells Fargo cancels Las Vegas junket | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

Maybe some of the people in management will get back to reality soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,756,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think reasonable limits on exec pay is appropriate given that these companies are turning to the government for assistance. I think canceling junkets is appropriate, as well.

Bailed-out Wells Fargo plans Las Vegas junket - U.S. business- msnbc.com
I have nothing against Wells Fargo doing that. It was the only major bank that didn't ask for a bail out. They were one of the very few that handled the business responsibly over the years, while others sold their soul. In fact, Wells Fargo just paid $371.5 million in quarterly dividend back to the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How stupid. The top-talent people will instantly go elsewhere, if not for the money then certainly for their pride! Dont interfere with this, let the market do its job. Those bonuses werent paid out of bailout money.
Let them. If their talent gets us the results that they did, they don't need to be treated any better. My only concern is, how are golden parachutes going to be handled.

And bonus needs to be performance based. Given recent history of exaggerating/misrepresenting profits and financial health of companies, performance too will need to be scrutinized instead of taking their word for it.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,051,543 times
It's beginning. We have started on the road to communism. We all looked at Russia with amazement when they nationalized their oil industry...well, it's started here. The gov't has taken over the financial industry, and it will spread to other areas.

As a general rule, government does not run business as efficiently as private industry. It can't. The idea that the government can tell private industry what to do is stupid. There is a reason that talented people tend to not work for the government--they just don't pay as well as private industry. This idea of a salary cap is only going to hurt the companies.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,788,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I have nothing against Wells Fargo doing that. It was the only major bank that didn't ask for a bail out. They were one of the very few that handled the business responsibly over the years, while others sold their soul.

Let them. If their talent gets us the results that they did, they don't need to be treated any better.
Wells Fargo actually did get bailout funds. I think it was about $25 billion. And when these banks and investment houses say that they didn't use bailout money for these junkets and bonuses, the problem is so what? If they hadn't gotten the bailout, would the money have been there for the junket and bonuses? Income is income. Just because you earmark some income for certain purposes, only means that other money is freed up.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,756,954 times
Quote:
Wells Fargo actually did get bailout funds. I think it was about $25 billion. And when these banks and investment houses say that they didn't use bailout money for these junkets and bonuses, the problem is so what? If they hadn't gotten the bailout, would the money have been there for the junket and bonuses? Income is income. Just because you earmark some income for certain purposes, only means that other money is freed up.
There are several banks that got the bail out, without asking for it. In fact, many have gone official claiming that they are not going to alter their business model, and will not lend any more or less, despite of Paulson writing them a check.

I don't blame these banks for it. I blame Paulson for mutilating the purpose of TARP and distributing money.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How stupid. The top-talent people will instantly go elsewhere, if not for the money then certainly for their pride! Dont interfere with this, let the market do its job. Those bonuses werent paid out of bailout money.
Gotta disagree with you here.

Those managers who ran their banks into the ground hardly qualify as "top talent." Who wants to hire someone who ran Citibank into the ground? Pride? If they had any they would have resigned a long time ago. They all deserve to have a bankruptcy on their resume. You can hire plenty of smart people at $400K per year.

Don't interfere with this? You mean like pumping billions into their institutions?

Let the market do its job? The market and their nmismanagement are what got the financial system into this mess. If we had let the market "do its job" we would have let them declare bankruptcy.

Those bonuses weren't paid out of bailout money? Then where did the money come from, fleecing shareholders? They all came to Washington and begged for cash - too bad that doormat Paulson didn't make them sign up to some stipulations before handing over that money our government borrowed in order to give them.

If you received assistance, your executives will have their pay capped. If you don't like the pay cap, enjoy bankruptcy!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,628,363 times
Obama is proposing a salary cap of $500k and any additional salary to be paid in stock that cannot be cashed in until the bailout funds are repaid.

I think that is fair - if they're receiving bailout funds.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,949,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Gotta disagree with you here.

Those managers who ran their banks into the ground hardly qualify as "top talent." Who wants to hire someone who ran Citibank into the ground? Pride? If they had any they would have resigned a long time ago. They all deserve to have a bankruptcy on their resume. You can hire plenty of smart people at $400K per year.

Don't interfere with this? You mean like pumping billions into their institutions?

Let the market do its job? The market and their nmismanagement are what got the financial system into this mess. If we had let the market "do its job" we would have let them declare bankruptcy.

Those bonuses weren't paid out of bailout money? Then where did the money come from, fleecing shareholders? They all came to Washington and begged for cash - too bad that doormat Paulson didn't make them sign up to some stipulations before handing over that money our government borrowed in order to give them.

If you received assistance, your executives will have their pay capped. If you don't like the pay cap, enjoy bankruptcy!
Unfortunately many of the leadership who created the damage are gone and now replaced with firemen. The question might be? Do you cut the salary of firemen in the middle of the fire? Let's hope we don't see in the future a headline about the brain drain from government backed entities.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,557,388 times
Quote:
How much further damage is possible?

I think it should be pointed out that we're talking about replacing CEO's that ignored that their companies were failing and kept rewarding poor performance with enormous bonuses. Bonuses are supposed to be for strong performance, not for driving a company to bankruptcy. We're talking about replacing CEO's that ignored the problems while redecorating their executive bathroom for a price that would pay off many people's homes. We're talking about CEO's that sign off today on expensive junkets despite the fact that they needed federal funds to stay afloat, because those expensive junkets are part of their "corporate culture." What exactly makes these people qualified to haul their companies from the edge of the abyss?

There's a Grand Canyon of disparity between the reality many of these corporate executives seem to be living, and the reality of how companies are supposed to work. These banks, brokerages, and large corporations don't exist to pay exec's enormous salaries and give them lives of fantastic privilege. The businesses exist for the sole purpose of turning a profit. The most important qualification for a CEO is to recognize this, and to be able to make it happen. The current ones don't seem to have that qualification.
I'm not disagreeing with your point about the behavior of the executives, and I'm not saying it would be bad if they left. My point is that once they leave, you're in the position of hiring executives at about a quarter of the salary they can earn elsewhere.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Obama is proposing a salary cap of $500k and any additional salary to be paid in stock that cannot be cashed in until the bailout funds are repaid.

I think that is fair - if they're receiving bailout funds.
Seems reasonable to me, with the stock cashout provision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies