Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree With Actor Val Kilmer About Most Vietnam Vets: "Most (Vietnam Vets) guys were bord
yes 18 16.51%
no 84 77.06%
other 1 0.92%
not sure 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:48 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I am so astonished on how liberals always believe conservatives are not entitled to exercise their right to criticize or ignore others who execute their own rights in obnoxious fashion. That is, of course, unless it's a conservative whom they believe is exercising their rights in obnoxious fashion. Then all of a sudden it's "boycott Rush! Demand that Hannity be taken off the air!"

Hi there, Pot -- have you met Kettle yet? You two should get along marvelously.
It's funny how the arguments go around here... I've read the same exact words with conservative switched for liberal, and either way they don't really make sense. To show you an example, how loudly did conservatives yell when San Francisco schools cut the ROTC? Or when Berkeley banned military recruitment centers, in protest of the war & the "don't ask don't tell" policy? Those were Americans exercising their right to protest, and expressing their political opinions publicly - but conservatives didn't seem to care about that when something offended them. Bottom line, NOBODY likes hearing opinions that differ from theirs, whether you are conservative or liberal (or anywhere in the middle). 'Tis human nature, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I have never advocated for either. I believe let them speak, they only show who they really are. Which both are bad for America as they are anti american. Why do you think Liberals are painting Rush as the leader of the republican party?
Then why did you characterize it as a "conservative" attribute?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh that is sick! And what's worse is his views are probably held by most actors, directors, and writers in Hollywood.
Quote:
Then why did you characterize it as a "conservative" attribute?
Ask the same question to sailor dave. Funny how you single me out. Are you an extreme partisan that would never give the respect I did.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Ask the same question to sailor dave. Funny how you single me out. Are you an extreme partisan that would never give the respect I did.
At least sailordave had the decency to qualify his statement rather than making it a blanket statement. Even if he didn't, that still doesn't answer the question I put to you.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Quote:
At least sailordave had the decency to qualify his statement rather than making it a blanket statement. Even if he didn't, that still doesn't answer the question I put to you.
Atleast I had the decency to clarify myself and appoligize for generalizing so again why do you single me out?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Atleast I had the decency to clarify myself and appoligize for generalizing so again why do you single me out?
I singled you out before you "clarified" yourself, which you did in response to being "singled out." Sorry I didn't anticipate your subsequent clarification before singling you out.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,536 times
My brother-in-law took a bullet through his arm in '66, went right back into action when he had healed well enough. Two months later a landmine blew off part of his skull, part of the frontal lobe of his brain and both his eyes. It was a miracle he survived and almost equally a miracle that he lives to this day.

He was not "borderline criminal" nor was he poor or abused and I would like to see Mr. Kilmer represent what he experienced.

I had two brothers drafted that served. Neither were criminal or poor. One worked his way through college after he left the service and has been successful enough that he could retire at 60 if he so desired. The other had a drinking problem after leaving but dealt with it and has worked for the USPS for over 25 years and put two of his kids through school. The other joined the Marines, served two tours during Iraqi Freedom and is now a police officer.

These are the three people that I know best that served in Vietnam although I'm acquainted with many others. One enlisted, two were drafted. While obviously they are not representative of all that served, I feel Mr. Kilmer's generalization is out of bounds.

How old is he and what is the depth of his personal perspective, anyway?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
How old is he and what is the depth of his personal perspective, anyway?
Well, he was a Navy pilot in Top Gun after all...

Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Well, he was a Navy pilot in Top Gun after all...
LOL... ironically, I'm watching that movie right now. But honestly folks, since when did actors NOT say stupid crap? I take them all as pure entertainment, since that is their purpose - they aren't politicians (with the exception of a few), and luckily they don't make the decisions in this country. Occasionally they cross the line as public figures, and should be held accountable, but I don't take any of it too seriously.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
well since I just read about this how about boycotting his films and his voice part on knight rider and then let nbc and most of his films know how we feel about this ? if no one spends money to listen to his retoric and stupid face junk then he will no longer be in demand for movies and such and see how much money he makes then . I find him to be on the arrogant side anyway and have not watched much of his films . as my father used to say hit him in the pocketbook that hurts the most . LOL !!! just chalk it up to the source of him being an arrogant idiot .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies