Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO — A California woman whose doctor says marijuana is the only medicine keeping her alive is not immune from federal prosecution on drug charges, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The case was brought by Angel Raich, an Oakland mother of two who suffers from scoliosis, a brain tumor, chronic nausea and other ailments. On her doctor's advice, she eats or smokes marijuana every couple of hours to ease her pain and bolster a nonexistent appetite as conventional drugs did not work.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258740,00.html

Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN FRANCISCO — A California woman whose doctor says marijuana is the only medicine keeping her alive is not immune from federal prosecution on drug charges, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The case was brought by Angel Raich, an Oakland mother of two who suffers from scoliosis, a brain tumor, chronic nausea and other ailments. On her doctor's advice, she eats or smokes marijuana every couple of hours to ease her pain and bolster a nonexistent appetite as conventional drugs did not work.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258740,00.html
I've been out there. In fact, I met and talked to Dr. Tod Mikuriya (sp?), a strong advocate of legal pot for sick people. He is a serious, well informed man. Also, he's a medical doctor, over 70 years old.

That story you cited is a national disgrace. I'd like to bring up the JUDGE on charges. Just because there are a bunch of people who aren't sick getting pot under the umbrella of this law (sadly, there are; likely that abuse is the reason behind this odd enforcement of the law) is no excuse for this.

My mom died of cancer, and I got her some pot. Unfortunately, it did not help her. It doesn't, always. But, I'd have copped heroin in an alley if I thought it would have relieved her suffering, which was terrible towards the end.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times
Judges and prosecutors who bring charges against people who are using marijuana for medical purposes obviously have no feelings for others.

I sincerely hope the judges and prosecutors who take people to court over people smoking marijuana to cope with an illness to get cancer themselves, hopefully they get the very worse form of cancer there is and I hope their symptoms are a thousand times worse then the people they are prosecuting!!

How cold and mean can these judges get?

Its amazing rather then these sorry low-life judges and prosecutors worrying about all the violence around the nation, they decide to prosecute this poor women who is just trying to make her life somewhat tolerable with the only thing that works for her.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-14-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 05:56 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Agreed. Those judges are wasting their time on a harmless old woman. Why do they care if she smokes pot if shes not giving/selling it to anyone and just minding her business? By the way pot is decriminalized in CA so im sure nothing will happen anyway.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I agree with all of you, and think it's a disgrace to waste time & money persecuting a sick woman. I have a friend who's been fighting a brain tumor for 10+ years, and you could say that pot keeps him alive... without it, he can't keep any food down during chemo, and would waste away to nothing. Luckily we live in California, where he's able to legally get the only medicine that works.

I also have a prescription for it, which helps to alleviate my arthritis after a long day. There are obviously people much worse off than myself, and they do NOT deserve to be treated as criminals. "Real" drugs like vicodin, oxycontin, valium, etc., are more addictive and harmful... but I guess when the government (and pharmaceutical industry) benefits from sales, it's somehow more socially & legally acceptable. Hypocrisy at it's finest!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:20 AM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,506 times
Why is the war on drugs only on marijuana? Must be political or financial. Anyway the rest of the world is laughing at us.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
take that back Matt.I saw my mother whither away to the point see didn't even know who I was,I wouldn't wish that on anyone no matter how misguided they might be.

I just don't understand why there is so much hostility toward mj,the stigma of the 60's should be over with.

And if suffering can be stopped with mj,and the doctor knows more than judges,why why why prevent them from using it?

Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Hopefully, within our lifetimes, marijuana will become legal, perhaps with a constitutional ammendment, and we can put an end to this mess.

I have a strong sense of justice, so I think it would be great if the politicians and overzealous prosecutors who opposed legalizing marijuana were forced to pay damages to all of the victims of these absurd laws, ex post facto, for having violated their individual rights, but I know that that's just a fantasy.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
The Dutch seem to have it handled in a good way.

You'll hear many people say that pot is legal in Amsterdam. This is not strictly true. There are numerous restrictions on where and how it may be sold. It's not the Dutch way to go around telling people how to live their lives, and that helps, too, from the other side.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
To those who've characterized her as old, she's 41.

And while I agree with those who think it's a big waste of the court's time and taxpayer's money to be involved in this (let the doctors decide) the decision I read was only that she's not immune from prosecution, have there been reports that she will actually be prosecuted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies