Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 04:08 PM

295 posts, read 320,494 times

Advertisements

Of course not, but a majority? I didn't refer to any race but it seems to me that you got the hint!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM

Default Talk about prejudice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Really?

Come on over then

How about that quote? They can say how much they hate but let us, the historically correct utter hate and we are crucified!
Shouldn't they be worried about all of the traitors today?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
We really just need to agree to disagree about the meaning/symbolism of the Confederate flag.
People should not condemn others as being racist, etc. because of a difference in what the flag represents to each.

What is the symbolism of the American flag to you?
To me, our flag is a symbol of freedom, opportunity and many other positive things.

Hop over to Iraq or Iran, and ask thousands there what the American flag symbolizes to them.

USA Today Posted 11/3/2008
Quote:
Hundreds of Iranian children bused in for the occasion crowded outside the former U.S. Embassy on Monday, burning American flags and chanting slogans to commemorate the 29th anniversary of the building's seizure by militant students. Iranians burn flags, cheer U.S. Embassy takeover - USATODAY.com
BBC News | South Asia | Afghan anti-sanction protest
Iraqis burn US flags on Baghdad fall anniversary | Iraq Updates
Huge Protest in Iraq Demands U.S. Withdraw - New York Times

Of course, I think they are wrong, wrong, wrong, about their interpretion of our flag. But see how one's interpretation of a flag doesn't make it the "right" interpretation.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 AM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,355 times
Traitors? Thats such a harsh word for someone standing up for thier ideals (In a peaceable manner mind you). My understanding is the word "Traitor" has come to mean someone who would do something so as to undermine the government, the safety and security of that particular country, and support and create subversive movements (cells if you will) in clandestine and remote locations. The "Traitor" that comes to mine would be those who hail from a specific region of our country, living and acting the part of a normal everyday citizen, all the while giving information such as military secrets, base locations, personnell information such as numbers of troops and weapons, and soft and hard targets. So.....

How is a person who flys the so called "Rebel" flag a traitor? I'm not sure I follow. True to history the succession of Southern States from the union was prompted by many reasons, but one cannot hide the fact that the biggest was that they believed African Americans were less than human and that they were property that could be bought, sold, and treated in a manner the "owner" saw fit. This included murder, rape, sodomy and many other cruel and evil things. Whats amazing to me is that there are people who forget this little piece of History and feel compelled to put thier own "Spin" on why the South and the North actually engaged in a war.

Say what you want about Abe Lincoln or any of our founding fathers....unless you actually lived in that time period, you will never really know will you?

In my humble opinion, those who choose to fly the "Rebel" or Confederate Flag, should do so knowing good and well that there are some in this country who will be offended irregardless of the flag owners intentions. Its much like the abortion issue Im afraid (In publicity only). I am offended when I see idiots holding signs up of aborted fetuses outside clinics who perform this atrocious act. Still its thier right to display these images and this right is protected under the constitution. Do I like it? Hell no! But I do have to respect that right. When someone flys the Confederate flag, its along the same lines....the meaning that has been created by history still lingers and those who fly it in areas other than thier own should anticipate some negative feedback.

Its your right to fly it and its the right of many to speak out against it. Whos rights are greater in this situation? Neither. Where we run into trouble is when folks cross the line and infringe upon those rights. Sad to say it, but it happens all the time.

Botton line? I neither condone or stand for the different ideologies that represent the "Confederate" flag. Its a symbol to some and a way of life to others. What should be noted, is that it is protected under the constitution whether you like it or not. If you are offended by it then travel the political avenues necessary for its removal. Just bear this in mind, those who forget are doomed to repeat. This is a symbol and nothing more. If you interpret it as something sinister, then perhaps you should look inward.....I'm just saying.

My two cents (three with the stimulus package)

Winter

Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 AM

Default Agree or disagree

I agree with both Vec101 and winterscorpion, instead of making it an issue of hating someone, hanging someone, or even killing someone it is alot easier to just agree or disagree on the issue of the Confederate flag.

To some the flag has a cultural/heritage meaning and to some a flag they see as racist but we must remember when someone or somebody wants a symbol/flag that they disagree with removed or banned you must also remember that one day someone or somebody may not like a symbol or flag of your taste and asked that it be banned or removed!

The greatest thing about this country is it grants us that right to agree with and disagree with others because we do have a constitution.
Let us the American people not allow special intersts groups decide for us what the meaning of a symbol represents!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
Traitors? Thats such a harsh word for someone standing up for thier ideals (In a peaceable manner mind you).
Well that leaves out the confederacy now doesn't it.

Quote:
My understanding is the word "Traitor" has come to mean someone who would do something so as to undermine the government, the safety and security of that particular country, and support and create subversive movements (cells if you will) in clandestine and remote locations.
Luckily we don't have to contend with your personal definition.

Article III Section 3 U.S. Constitution.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

Quote:
How is a person who flys the so called "Rebel" flag a traitor?
Clearly such an act is not treasonous, but it does demonstrate a sympathy for traitors, and a traitorous heritage. Although I find it quite ironic that, and I suspect I am correct, that if one were to burn or abuse the American flag in the presence of a red blooded Rebel flag waver they would miss the connection.

Quote:
True to history the succession of Southern States from the union was prompted by many reasons, but one cannot hide the fact that the biggest was that they believed African Americans were less than human and that they were property that could be bought, sold, and treated in a manner the "owner" saw fit. This included murder, rape, sodomy and many other cruel and evil things. Whats amazing to me is that there are people who forget this little piece of History and feel compelled to put thier own "Spin" on why the South and the North actually engaged in a war.
Thank you.

Say what you want about Abe Lincoln or any of our founding fathers....unless you actually lived in that time period, you will never really know will you?

Quote:
In my humble opinion, those who choose to fly the "Rebel" or Confederate Flag, should do so knowing good and well that there are some in this country who will be offended irregardless of the flag owners intentions.
Bravo.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
It was not treason to secede from the United States....it was a voluntary union.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM

1,009 posts, read 875,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
the Confederate Flag- what does it represent

Treason

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM

1,009 posts, read 875,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It was not treason to secede from the United States....it was a voluntary union.

What free men voluntarily enter into, they can voluntarily leave. To suggest otherwise is to suggest they were never free to begin with. Indeed, I believe Lincoln sought to make the Southern people slaves in their own land.

His "war of liberation" was "liberation" along the lines of a communist revolutions. He would have turned the USA into the first "democratic peoples republic" if he had the chance.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Does anyone really care? Hey South, you lost - not over it yet?
I'm not over it yet sir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies