Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 06:02 AM

39 posts, read 106,519 times

Advertisements

How do people feel about the buy american mantra that is proposed in the stimulus package? I hope with the EU backlash,Obama does not resort to quota system.that will be a complete knee-jerk reaction.
I recently visited Pittsburg and barren look of downtown and complete breakdown of the steel infrastructure was sad.But ppl say it will impact at a global level.Exports could hurt.Other "free" trade countries could respond by saying- import only from "free" trade countries...not sure,just guessing...i know india is not complete free trade and cant imagine china being one.
So,might not hurt being protectionist!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewldude View Post
So,might not hurt being protectionist!...
I'm surprised that Saturnfan has not responded to this thread yet

Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,962 times
I think the real question is "How would this affect our local economy, and what areas of local business would this affect?"

[I'm just curious about this, and don't want to see the thread moved]

Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,635 times
I've never been a fan of legislated/mandated protectionism, BUT I am a fan of buying local when possible as it definitely has a huge impact.

Instead of being legislated, I think retailers and consumers should be given informed choices of what they can buy, not just be presented by default the least cost option.

For example, if a retailer were to comparatively offer a widget made locally side-by-side with a similar widget made overseas, and make a point to market the higher quality(perhaps) and local impact the domestic product has, I'd bet some buyers would be willing to pay a little more for the local product. And for those that still want/need to shop driven purely by lowest price, then can buy the cheaper imported widget. THAT is the American way

The problem I see is that certain big box retailers have driven the American public to choose based purely on low price alone, and only offer the one CHEAPEST widget, such that the customer service, quality, and local impact part of the equation has been ignored... much to our communal loss. If people are instead given the choice, and educated on the impact that choice has, I think we could see some buyers choose local without being forced to by legislation.

And I do agree that protectionist legislation is a risky proposition. It didn't work prior to the Great Depression, and in fact worsened the situation as our trading partners retaliated. That could happen again.

Interestingly a certain big box retailer made a huge marketing push back in the late 80s and through the early 90s about "Made in America". They had price toppers, banners, etc. proclaiming their support of American products. But then sometime in the 90s it just changed, almost overnight, and was all import and low-price driven. The "Made in America" mantra was never heard again. Isn't that interesting??

BTW, as an aside, having been a Pittsburgh resident for many years, it is important perhaps to note that the steel industry has been part of Pittburgh's(and regional) history for a long time now. Although steel continued to be made, and is still made in some areas, that industry went into decline over 25 years ago. It's a shame on the one hand, but is also just part of the evolution of an industry and a region. Regional economies must always look ahead for new opportunities as their local economies will change over time. To rely on one industry permanently being supreme is a doomed proposition, almost by definition. That being said, Pittsburgh itself has reinvented its economy into many prosperous areas. So today it is perhaps less known for being the "center" of any one industry, but has several other healthy diversified economies, which is much healthier and robust than relying on one big industry. Pittsburgh still has its challenges, but I think is actually a model city on how to recover from losing a primary industry and reinventing itself.

Al

Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM

115 posts, read 381,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
I think the real question is "How would this affect our local economy, and what areas of local business would this affect?"

[I'm just curious about this, and don't want to see the thread moved]
...didn't work... Oh, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies