Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

It took me about 4 months of work sending out hundreds of resumes (I lost count of emailed resumes...) to find my job. It's funny... the jobs I applied for that I had tons of experience in I'd be lucky to get a call back and interview. The jobs where I had ZERO experience, I'd get call backs immediately. After I realized that, I just started sending out resumes to anywhere that sounded remotely good. Luckily for me, I got a job that me and my boyfriend were laughing at because the benefits and pay were so good, so I applied for a laugh and nothing else. 2 days later, they hired me and I started my current job and have never been happier Apply for everything in your salary range, you never know where you might be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM

370 posts, read 440,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You can't find a job because you think you can still do your old job but that is one job, America doesn't need right now... I start expanding your focus a bit.... I applied for a manager's job and had zero experience and only half of an education... there were a dozen other people applying for the same job, late 30's to late 40's.... we each interviewed one after another... I was still in college at that time and had NO idea what I was doing there, I was looking for a job, saw an ad and applied for it.... I had ZERO idea what the job duties were but I beat out all of them for the job... they kept calling me and calling me asking me to join their office and manage it... I declined, cause I had no idea what I was suppose to do on the job... perhaps you should start looking to work in a job that isn't what you were doing... there are jobs out there... just not the one you are thinking about...

Im looking into other areas also (thats why I offer to work for free). Ive been in the computer field for the last 10 years but Im trying to branch out into HIT (Health Information Technology). Im also looking into areas like medical coding/billling. I actually took a bartending class to become a bartender. Most bars want experience or will only hire females.

Ive spent thousands of dollars of my own money on IT classes that I thought would help but companies want you to have multiple years experience in many different areas of IT.

So I cannot risk spending more money on classes to get out of school only to be told I dont have experience.

Our country no longer give people an opportunity to prove themselves.

Last edited by mpyne; 02-06-2009 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 AM

370 posts, read 440,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Might be any number of things. What is your job experience and what field are you in?

It can take a lot of time, especially in this economy. Keep your chin up and keep looking.

Good luck!

10 years in the IT field. Helpdesk/Desktop Support & Portal/Network Administration.

Thanks, Ive been out of work for 1 year and 4 months now. I moved out to Arizona for a job that payed $12 a hour but could not afford to live on what I was making out there. (I couldnt find any other job while I was out there). Only place I could live was a hotel that would only lease me a room for 1 month

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I was looking for work in the alternate energy field in the 1980's and I remember how tough it was. Ronnie Reygun crashed the market and there simply were no jobs available. There are a lot of IT folks looking for work. I am glad I am not one of them.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
Thanks for the responses. I realize that every one's situation is subjective and the scenario varies from region to region. There is a common factor though...technology and global economics are eliminating jobs every day. Even college students that have a clear work goal in mind graduate to find they must reinvent themselves for the job market.
I am an artist with some industrial graphics experience so I'm used to being flexible for the job market. It appears I'll have to advance to a totally different field like health care in order to find stability in this part of New England.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 AM

410 posts, read 514,953 times
Just a thought, if every person across the world worked the same amount on a daily basis, it would put an end to slavery across the world. The amount of people sitting on the welfare system compared to the amount working is higher putting stress on all these people that are employed. I do suggest training to be given to every person on welfare to be working and not spending our hard earned dollars laughing in our faces.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 589 times
Thumbs down all about the numbers

The new work search requirements are bull it's all about the numbers the president say unemployment is decreasing of course it is the numbers do not take into consideration the number of unemployed have exhausted their benefits so on paper they are no longer unemployed also the number of people kicked off unemployment because of this stupid work search again on paper they are no longer unemployed. Of course the rate of unemployed is dropping they just think the American public is too stupid to realize what's going on. Look i am on unemployment i work in construction the same job for 13 years when weather gets bad we get laid off til spring usually 12 to 14 weeks every year and during that time we collect unemployment have a job i still have benefits like medical which is played through layoff bymy employer should i search for work i know i still have my job whywould i want apply to other places with less benefits that i might have to pay for I'm not stupid this is ignorant they have records of people just like me that for years have worked for the same employer should it's called fulltime seasonal . LEarn the right to sit on my ass during this time i put a year's worth of hours in the time we are working and my employer pays into this anyhow he'll we are even listed as laid off due lack of work not terminated the company has not folded i am no bum looming for a way out of work you get your vacations played sick leave comp time if i am not at work i am not being payed so spare me the scrap about this program being a good thing if you truly believe that you are one of the dumb asses i spoke of that believes these stupid numbers the politicians cram down our throats every day on the news .

Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,285 times
Send a note to Obama. Maybe he will give you something to tide you over.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The unemployment rate is about 7%, there are still jobs out there obviously for those who want them. This isn't anywhere close to the Great Depression unemployment rates of 25-30%.

UE if going by 1994 calculations is 22% which is pretty darn near Great Depression numbers.

Alternate Unemployment Charts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies