Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
KABUL —
No one knows who brought the book to the mosque, or at least no one dares say. The pocket-size translation of the Koran has already landed six men in prison in Afghanistan and left two of them begging judges to spare their lives. They're accused of modifying the Koran and their fate could be decided Sunday in court.
The trial illustrates what critics call the undue influence of hardline clerics in Afghanistan, a major hurdle as the country tries to establish a lawful society amid war and militant violence.
The book appeared among gifts left for the cleric at a major Kabul mosque after Friday prayers in September 2007. It was a translation of the Koran into one of Afghanistan's languages, with a note giving permission to reprint the text as long as it was distributed for free.
Some of the men of the mosque said the book would be useful to Afghans who didn't know Arabic, so they took up a collection for printing. The mosque's cleric asked Ahmad Ghaws Zalmai, a longtime friend, to get the books printed.
But as some of the 1,000 copies made their way to conservative Muslim clerics in Kabul, whispers began, then an outcry.
Many clerics rejected the book because it did not include the original Arabic verses alongside the translation. It's a particularly sensitive detail for Muslims, who regard the Arabic Koran as words given directly by God. A translation is not considered a Koran itself, and a mistranslation could warp God's word.

Ahh..., those wacky Muslims/Islamics are at it again! And these are the people that Barack Nobama (Barama(tm)) wants to make nicey-nice with so that the US and the Muslim/Islamic world can sit down and have a "meaningful dialog"! WTF!
FOXNews.com - 2 Afghans Translate Koran, Face Death Penalty - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
These stories don't really shock me that much..... remember Islam is 600 years newer than Christianity..... what were the Christians doing 600 years ago? That's right..... burning witches at the stake and hunting "heretics" in the Inquistion...

Eventually the hard line clerics will lose support, but until they do stories such as this don't really suprise me....

Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
These stories don't really shock me that much..... remember Islam is 600 years newer than Christianity..... what were the Christians doing 600 years ago? That's right..... burning witches at the stake and hunting "heretics" in the Inquistion...

Eventually the hard line clerics will lose support, but until they do stories such as this don't really suprise me....
What a creative defense of Islamic medievalism.

I can't believe it'll be 500 more years before Islam discovers fliush toilets.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
I dont know why we're even going there at all, except for the bin Laden holy grail. Strategic location or not, we dont have to worry about the Russians going in again. PLEASE dont go trying to force democracy on them! We did all right with that in Iraq - let them be the example.

BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | UN hails Iraq election results

Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont know why we're even going there at all, except for the bin Laden holy grail. Strategic location or not, we dont have to worry about the Russians going in again. PLEASE dont go trying to force democracy on them! We did all right with that in Iraq - let them be the example.

BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | UN hails Iraq election results
If Obama follows through on this, it'll be LBJ all over again.

I have this terrible vision of Cindy Sheehan camping out in front of Obama's Oak park mansion in the snow. With a down comforter.

Spare us all, Mr. Obama. Don't Let Cindy Freeze.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
This really was more suited for the religion forum until someone tried to throw Obama into it...

I think it makes a weak argument.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Ahh..., those wacky Muslims/Islamics are at it again! And these are the people that Barack Nobama (Barama(tm)) wants to make nicey-nice with so that the US and the Muslim/Islamic world can sit down and have a "meaningful dialog"! WTF!
FOXNews.com - 2 Afghans Translate Koran, Face Death Penalty - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Carefull even by posting that can cause you death treats from muslims....Look at Geert Wilders who just wants to show the world what the Koran stands for or the other Dutch filmmaker who was murdered in the middle of the day riding his bike just because he was in favor of muslims treating their woman equal to the man.....

But your post is great and if we survive this than there is still freedom of speech....not in all countries though.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The planet is the Word of God. All the books are creations of man. End of story.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Carefull even by posting that can cause you death treats from muslims....Look at Geert Wilders who just wants to show the world what the Koran stands for or the other Dutch filmmaker who was murdered in the middle of the day riding his bike just because he was in favor of muslims treating their woman equal to the man.....

But your post is great and if we survive this than there is still freedom of speech....not in all countries though.
With all the pro-freedom and anti-Islamic posts that I've placed on the City-Data Forums, I've run out of space for all the "fatwas" from the purveyors of Sharia Law and all the Imams that protect the purity of the Quaran and the Prophet Mohammad! And thanks for the warning! I'll have to hunker down in my bunker in a non-descript location under a brick and steel building (Mark Levin)!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:50 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Interestingly. 500 years ago; Islam was more tolerant than Christianity.

They sure made up for lost time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies