Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:00 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,618 times

Advertisements

The Earth has long periods of cooling and long periods of heating. We just got out of a mini-ice age in the last couple hundred years.

Global warming is occurring but it is a natural, cyclical process. It has nothing to do with SUVS and the only lunatics out there are the hypocrites that try and force their beliefs on others(Al cough cough Gore cough).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's been 80 degrees where i live (Coastal central California) since fall. We've had maybe 4 days of rainfall in the past 6 months and maybe 10 or less days of being in the 40s or less at night. We had no winter at all, when we used to, at the very least, get a couple of frosty days nearing snow. Bah. The climate where I live has changed drastically in the last 10 years.
Global average surface temperatures have gone up a mere degree in 100 years and this has drastically changed your climate? Your anecdotal evidence is just as meaningless as the observation that these people met in -6 degree weather or that there was a terrible winter storm in Kentucky.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
The Earth has long periods of cooling and long periods of heating. We just got out of a mini-ice age in the last couple hundred years.

Global warming is occurring but it is a natural, cyclical process. It has nothing to do with SUVS and the only lunatics out there are the hypocrites that try and force their beliefs on others(Al cough cough Gore cough).

Well, actually no. Comforting thought though. You need to try to get Al Gore out of your thoughts. You can't have him. He doesn't want you. He is unimportant, especially to global warming and to you. Stalking him is a bad idea. Other people don't find him as interesting as you do.

'We are just recovering from the LIA' | Gristmill: The environmental news blog | Grist (http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/12/22/172523/81 - broken link)

Climate myths: We are simply recovering from the Little Ice Age - environment - 16 May 2007 - New Scientist

'Current global warming is just part of a natural cycle' | Gristmill: The environmental news blog | Grist

Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Here is another viewpoint on global warming..

Quote:
IT IS only a couple of years since scientists first told us we could expect a new order of fires in south-eastern Australia, fires of such ferocity they would engulf the towns in their path.
And here they are. The fires of Saturday were not "once in 1000 years" or even "once in 100 years" events, as our political leaders keep repeating. They were the face of climate change.

Scientists warned us this was going to happen | smh.com.au

I lived in Adelaide and last year we had a brutal heat wave.. I missed the heat wave this year as I moved to Toronto.. but this year it was the hottest in a century. And now the fires in Victoria that may claim over 200 lives..

These scientists who predicted this may be right.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM

67 posts, read 99,431 times
Default Global warming is a hoax

Its all about money.Another way for our government to impose taxes and fines on businesses.More and more companies are shiping there goods in from other ports in the country rather than here in cali, because of the emission laws being passed.It effects people who have jobs in logistics, such as the railroad or dockworkers, more people will be unemployed, but i suppose that doesnt affect you global warming nuts.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Here is another viewpoint on global warming..

Quote:
IT IS only a couple of years since scientists first told us we could expect a new order of fires in south-eastern Australia, fires of such ferocity they would engulf the towns in their path.
And here they are. The fires of Saturday were not "once in 1000 years" or even "once in 100 years" events, as our political leaders keep repeating. They were the face of climate change.

Scientists warned us this was going to happen | smh.com.au

I lived in Adelaide and last year we had a brutal heat wave.. I missed the heat wave this year as I moved to Toronto.. but this year it was the hottest in a century. And now the fires in Victoria that may claim over 200 lives..

These scientists who predicted this may be right.

Yep, its Global Warming all right. The guy they arrested for starting the fires? Smoke and mirrors! Pardon the pun.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Australian man charged with arson

Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,941,690 times
New Mexican Republican if you get a chance read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton he illustrates how we're scaring ourselves to death and how doomsayers manipulate that fear for their personal agenda ie: Al Gore....BTW dont worry the Sky isnt falling...

Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
New Mexican Republican if you get a chance read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton he illustrates how we're scaring ourselves to death and how doomsayers manipulate that fear for their personal agenda ie: Al Gore....BTW dont worry the Sky isnt falling...
I have read it. Excellent book. Should be required reading. The graphs of the actual temperature data are compelling. I have the NOAA site linked. If one looks at small cities and remote areas, the temps are actually going down. This to me is the most compelling argument against man-made warming. If the atmoshpere and planet as a whole is heating up, why is it not heating up in the middle of Iowa, the tundra of Canada, the middle of Africa or Argentina. The temps are rising in NY, LA, Dallas, etc. This could be do to micro climate change, or as some suggest the thermal mass of billions of tons of concrete absorbing and retaining heat.

Regardless, clearly the climate is changing (as it always has). The question really is not of climate change, but how do deal with it. All humans have a carbon footprint. Humans have altered the environment for 20,000 years. Of course, so did the dinosaurs.

The question I have asked, that the GW disciples refuse to answer is: if humans are the cause, which humans should we kill to cure GW?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
LMAO. Oh right. Perfect. Get your information about global climate change from a novelist. Perfect.

Why are so many Americans so stupid?

Nobody but an idiot or an ideologue disputes the anthropogenic causes of climate change in the 21st century. Nobody. Those of you who continue to do so--rooting around deep in the bowels of the internet in search of "evidence"-- succeed only in advertising your membership in the Tinfoil Hat Society.

Carry on. . . .

Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
LMAO. Oh right. Perfect. Get your information about global climate change from a novelist. Perfect.

Why are so many Americans so stupid?

Nobody but an idiot or an ideologue disputes the anthropogenic causes of climate change in the 21st century. Nobody. Those of you who continue to do so--rooting around deep in the bowels of the internet in search of "evidence"-- succeed only in advertising your membership in the Tinfoil Hat Society.

Carry on. . . .

The "novelist" (a Harvard doctor by the way) makes it clear that the book is fiction. On the other hand, every statistic is real and correct. I have the link to the data, but I doubt it would interest you because it is factual data, as opposed to propaganda.

As for your first assertion, there are hundreds of respected scientists that dispute A; Gore and his henchmen. Note that I do not dispute the climate is changing (as it always has). If humans are changing the environment, however, they have been doing so for 20,000 years.

To assert that we can tax or legislate our way out of climate change is a true indicator of one indoctrinated into the Tinfoil Hat Society.

PS, if you are so concerned about it, I suggest you sell that big, inefficient house you were crying about and move into something more eco-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies