Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:04 PM

931 posts, read 3,794,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
In my team at my old company, we all became very close friends. There was 7 other people on the team. ALL SEVEN LIED on their resumes. 6 of them said they had 5 years of experience when they started out, when they really had ZERO years.

It took me 6 years to get to a level of work they were doing because I was stupid and told the truth on my resume. And I ONLY got the job because my husband was working there and the manager LOVED him so she hired me as well.

Honestly, I felt so stupid working for peanuts for years when I could have just done what they did years and years ago.
Sounds like a Micky Mouse Club. Reputable employers would do a thorough background check. What kind of job is it? Wouldn't they expect someone with supposedly 5 years of work experience to be able to perform certain tasks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,039,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Sounds like a Micky Mouse Club. Reputable employers would do a thorough background check. What kind of job is it? Wouldn't they expect someone with supposedly 5 years of work experience to be able to perform certain tasks?
Funny, it's not the mickey mouse club. It's one of the big home improvement retailers.
I guess they don't check because it's too hard to check companies in India.

It's an IT job. The thing is they don't need to know how to perform the task from Day One, because Day One they meet another Indian who speaks their language and that guy will actually DO the work for him AND teach him the ropes. Give him the answers, how to write emails, give him passwords, etc.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
That's not a fair statement. Are they smarter than us? I don't think so. I think we all have similar capabilities no matter where someone grew up.

What would help is training and a support system.

I graduated knowing jack from my CS degree. I had a horrible time looking for a job as I graduated right after the dotcom bust. Yet all these indians were coming from abroad making more than I was. Why? Because they lied on their resume and have a great support system. They help each by moving heaven and earth. We don't do that.

We need to set up a similar training/support system for ourselves, our colleagues and our future generation.
That sounds a little racist.

How do you know they are lying on their resumes? I don't think that is the case. You can see people perform. You either can do it or you can't.

How could you graduate with a degree in CS and not know jack? Did you not study or something? You should have done internships over the summer or something, that would have given you a competitive edge. Oh well. The past is the past. I did 4 undergraduate internships, I wish I could have done 5.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Funny, it's not the mickey mouse club. It's one of the big home improvement retailers.
I guess they don't check because it's too hard to check companies in India.

It's an IT job. The thing is they don't need to know how to perform the task from Day One, because Day One they meet another Indian who speaks their language and that guy will actually DO the work for him AND teach him the ropes. Give him the answers, how to write emails, give him passwords, etc.
How do you know they are doing that? Sounds like a big conspiracy.

Don't they ask questions in the interview that weed out people that don't know their stuff?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
That sounds a little racist.
I sound racist? Can you clarify how my comment is racist? Your comment is saying Indians can do a better job than americans and you are telling me I'm racist?
Quote:
How do you know they are lying on their resumes? I don't think that is the case. You can see people perform. You either can do it or you can't.
I know they are lying because they told me they lied on their resumes to get the job. The managers can't see them perform because they don't see who actually does the coding.
Quote:
How could you graduate with a degree in CS and not know jack? Did you not study or something? You should have done internships over the summer or something, that would have given you a competitive edge. Oh well. The past is the past. I did 4 undergraduate internships, I wish I could have done 5.
The school I went to taught more theory in the cirriculum that's why. I did study and got As and B's thruought college, but what was taught was not useful in the real world. True about the internships, I think the interships I did were too geared towards programming which I didn't want to do. And unfortunately that's all what my school taught. And please spare me the dig, I don't appreciate it.

Quote:
How do you know they are doing that? Sounds like a big conspiracy.

Don't they ask questions in the interview that weed out people that don't know their stuff?
How do I know, I was there and worked with them. It's not a conspiracy, they just help each other. Do you think I'm lying or making this up?
The interviewers who are technical are indian themselves so they bring them in. My friend interviewed his own friend at the company I was at, so at the interview he didn't ask her any questions. And when the manager interviews, a lot of times it's over the phone or if the manager does a face to face, a lot of times the manager only asks basic behavioral questions. It's not technical.

Last edited by sheenie2000; 02-07-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 02:33 PM

Ok I just realized what comment you were referring to when you said I was racist. I don't think it's racist. I didn't say I only want to help white people or black people. I just said I think we should help people who are here in our own communities, our neighbors, etc. They themselves may be Indian, mexican, muslim, black, etc. If our own neighbors are struggling, why not give them job training or a support system? What's wrong with that? The Indian community does it and does it well. It's admirable and it's something we can learn from.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Sweet! I'm friends with a lot of Indians in IT at work. I'm going to ask them about this. haha

I don't know much about the Indian Community though. Indians also don't marry outside their race, so maybe it's the culture.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Sweet! I'm friends with a lot of Indians in IT at work. I'm going to ask them about this. haha

I don't know much about the Indian Community though. Indians also don't marry outside their race, so maybe it's the culture.
Hehe, I don't know if they'll tell you. I only knew because I worked with them day in and day out for years and we got very close. But being born and raised here (and even part indian), and never lying on my resume let alone saying I had five + years experience, it's not fair that we compete for the same jobs and they get it.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,274,285 times
Quote:
Because they are skilled and can perform jobs better than most Americans.

Absolutely not true.
Can they perform jobs better than most Americans at slave wages? Yes. By the way, when is India going to open up its immigration policy to foreign workers? Oh, right. Never.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:18 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,808,508 times
Quote:
Because they are skilled and can perform jobs better than most Americans.

still that makes more americans unemployed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies