Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,610 times

Advertisements

^^I agree with some of this.

This is what happens when the citizenry are overly dependent on an inflating paycheck (Bush tax cuts) to satisfy their irresponsible spending habits. Paychecks should have stopped inflating/stabilized during circa 2000-2008. Unfortunately, the need for continued inflating assets was/is more important to the Banks, the exposed homeowners’ & the spendthrifts.

So now BUSINESS has the bull by the horns. The US Gov’t/Taxpayer are being steered into supplying subsidies for its citizens’ while BUSINESS brings in lower cost, eager, debt-free bodies.

Last edited by DSOs; 02-10-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: added ped to stop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmymoney View Post
I just read an interesting article about how there are literally hundreds of thousands of jobs available, but the companies can't find the proper candidates.

One guy from North Carolina has had a running ad for over 4 months, and only finally got responses when he dumbed his ad down a little...People not using spelling correctly, no references, sh*tty resumes etc.

The problem is...._____________.
I see the same articles regarding manufacturers complaining they cannot find the workers. There are plenty of them out there, they just won't starve for the bosses work. Sounds like a lot of bosses want to have their cake and eat it to.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman24601 View Post
The H1B program will probably not be as desirable in the new social order as it was in the pathological capitalist system of previous years. If Obama dictates that a dishwasher make as much as a ph.d in electrical engineering then the incentive is gone. There may not be the election of vocation either. If Barak needs more dishwashers than engineers then the indian with the ph.d in electrical engineering may be assigned to wash dishes.
The Indian with a PhD in Electrical Engineering is not going to wash dishes. What will happen is that those engineers will stay back in India working on state of the art projects while the US is going turn into a land of dishwashers cleaning everyone's dishes.

Secondly, the H1b debate is so 5 years back!!! The H1b visa category is not used very much these days because of the onerous compliance requirements, it's usage is dipping in favor of the L1 visa. The L1 visa does not have any numerical caps and does not have any requirement to first check if Americans are available to do those jobs. There is also the added benefit that most Americans do not know what L1 is, so while the company can continue importing cheap labor it can show that is reducing H1 use thereby hoodwinking Americans. Offshore companies are bringing workers in droves to work on site at American companies. I know because I work in one - this company had 100 workers just 2 years ago, now there are 2000 Indians working on site. This company has specifically stated that their aim is to wipe out all the IT functions in the company performed by Americans and replace them with L1 workers imported from India...I mean they have released a internal memo to that effect.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 AM

154 posts, read 524,669 times
My perspective is purely from software engineering. I've hired H1-B Visa holders before and I have sponsored/applied for H1-B Visa's for foreign candidates before. As previous posters mentioned there are certain fields (software development, healthcare, etc) where the supply of qualified workers does not meet the demand. I think most employers would share my sentiments - I would rather hire a US based worker especially given our economic status if I could. Note that there are prevailing wage and specialized skill requirements that you have to fulfill as an employer when you sponsor a H1-B Visa.

That said, there are still multi-national firms that sponsor H1-B's that hold the large numbers of visa's. They still are required to pay prevailing wages and they charge handsomely for their consultant's services.

H1-B visa's and unemployment really have nothing to do with one another. I think the unemployment issues are more related to a fundamental shift in how goods are manufacturered as well as general supply and demand pressures from our domestic workforce. Wages are low because of supply vs. demand and lower margins because of global pressures.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
..... I know because I work in one - this company had 100 workers just 2 years ago, now there are 2000 Indians working on site. This company has specifically stated that their aim is to wipe out all the IT functions in the company performed by Americans and replace them with L1 workers imported from India...I mean they have released a internal memo to that effect.
I guess that says it all.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times
In order to sponsor an H1B visa for a foreign worker, an employer needs to file a Labor Condition Application (LCA) that must be certified by the Department of Labor. The LCA ensures that the foreign worker is paid the prevailing wage in that geographic location for his/her particular position. Companies don't hire H1B workers because they are cheaper, that is a big oversimplification. The LCA ensures this doesn't happen and the legal fees that need to be paid to bring in a foreign worker legally make an H1B worker even more expensive to hire.

So why are they doing it? Because that's how you get the best talent. The top American students are always in high demand, and they don't have any issues getting a job, they are the first ones hired. But once the best are hired, instead of hiring second and third class American students, some companies prefer to hire the top students of other countries with high educational standards in the field they're hiring for. Foreign workers are not smarter than American students, and American students aren't smarter than foreign students. But there are always great, average and below average students everywhere in the world. The best will always be hired first, regardless of what their passport says. Americans first because its legally easier, then foreigners...then American average students, then foreign average students, and so on. This helps companies remain competitive. Isn't that how the United States became a powerhouse of innovation? By always bringing in the smarter individuals from all over the world and enabling them to reach their full potential here?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
companies hire more and more foreigners so that salary stay low and profits for CEOs increase. At the end of the day, they look at bottomline of profits.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Because they are skilled and can perform jobs better than most Americans.

Not entirely correct.

They are skilled & can perform the jobs just like any American; not better.
Monkeys are monkeys (as humans are humans)... both can be trained to do most jobs. Hence you need to be in the job specific to be specialized & trained hence get experience.

Now... they COST less than American people...
Great advantage!!!

College... they go to their own country's college (probably all paid for & very very cheap hence have no loans... **** very very important to have no loans because it dictates HOW MUCH you make in order to survive & pay back that loan... make sense????)

So say that $1 that American college grad makes...
He/she does not bring the whole $1 back... ever!!!
That $1 has to be taxed, college loans (if there is), car loans, mortgage/rent taken out & don't forget that interests from all these loans... leaving only that partial sum of that $1. But he/she still needs to make that $1 to pay for all these... = survive.

Now that H1B visa person...
May room & board via the CO (happens where I live alot) so already saves on rent / mortgage (even if on allowance)... don't have any college tuition to pay for... may pay tax (but still get certain returns since they are not citizens), don't have to pay no interests on anything... can & is able to take $0.50 (make half that American makes without no complains or sweat)....

*if* you are that company, and is trying to make tax to the government & see some profits (and there is a government incentive on tax breaks to hire certain people etc.).... who would YOU hire????

Lose, lose situations my friends...
Thus with that college bubble, if one do not think outside that box... yah... you'll be roped into that same vicious circle....

Work at the Mill, Get "trained" (educated) at the Mill (sheep following the Mill's way), Borrow money from the Mill & spend that same Mill currency in that Mill store.... Mill profits & is able to accumulate & build wealth... while you will try to forever borrow money you don't have & spend that money as you borrowed it.
Round & Round you go... like a gerbil.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 AM

126 posts, read 423,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
My perspective is purely from software engineering. I've hired H1-B Visa holders before and I have sponsored/applied for H1-B Visa's for foreign candidates before. As previous posters mentioned there are certain fields (software development, healthcare, etc) where the supply of qualified workers does not meet the demand. I think most employers would share my sentiments - I would rather hire a US based worker especially given our economic status if I could. Note that there are prevailing wage and specialized skill requirements that you have to fulfill as an employer when you sponsor a H1-B Visa.

That said, there are still multi-national firms that sponsor H1-B's that hold the large numbers of visa's. They still are required to pay prevailing wages and they charge handsomely for their consultant's services.

H1-B visa's and unemployment really have nothing to do with one another. I think the unemployment issues are more related to a fundamental shift in how goods are manufacturered as well as general supply and demand pressures from our domestic workforce. Wages are low because of supply vs. demand and lower margins because of global pressures.
False. There is a supply. However, hiring managers in that field specify "10 years experience with x language" and wish to only pay entry level salaries to these people. Pay market rates and I bet you won't find yourself turning to H1-B visas. I know we have no shortage.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Now... they COST less than American people...
Great advantage!!!

College... they go to their own country's college (probably all paid for & very very cheap hence have no loans... **** very very important to have no loans because it dictates HOW MUCH you make in order to survive & pay back that loan... make sense????)

So say that $1 that American college grad makes...
He/she does not bring the whole $1 back... ever!!!
That $1 has to be taxed, college loans (if there is), car loans, mortgage/rent taken out & don't forget that interests from all these loans... leaving only that partial sum of that $1. But he/she still needs to make that $1 to pay for all these... = survive.
Corporations are a for profit business, they will hire labor at the cheapest cost that they can get. It is none of the Corporation's concern that the poor American had to take a student loan and has to pay it back while the overseas worker studied on the cheap.

that is too bad for Americans that they are becoming globally uncompetitive, obsolete and unviable... that is the problem that the government should be figuring out how to solve for it's citizens, instead the government is working on the side of the corporations so...

Americans continue to pay ridiculous amounts for college, amounts in many cases that are unsustainable... I know so many with $70, 80, 100k loans for majors that will not pay anything close to that, it's just a sense of entitlement Americans have that they SHOULD get that exact education because they deserve it even if they cannot afford it.

This last generation of Americans feel like the world owes them and they are entitled to everything, that is the KEY issue that needs to be fixed first. They have been treated like aristocrats by their parents and have developed this inflated sense of ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies