Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I wasn't trying to slam white folks, just simply asking why we hold up underclass white rural culture as the true "American" culture.....
I think you make a valid point, because I for one am sick of Jerry Springer & mouthy shock jocks inciting hatred. Perhaps you've overlooked a huge something, though. Portraits of underclass white rural culture is the republican party sucking up to them because it strategically suits them to do so. They lack volume votes and count on electoral college of rural states so they're obliged to tell them what they want to hear by trying to appear 'down home folksy'. Palin sucking up to rural/ suburban mommies= qualified to deal with hamas? Why would she push such a simpleton message? I rest my case.

Get outside the fray of politics and manipulation of the masses. The question you really need to ask your own self is what does it mean to be a real american? My own answer was respectful of inalienable rights, personal accountability (I'm the architect of my life), and as for the culture at large... ingenuity, determination, and a can-do attitude. Mutt's with heart & gumption. That's my america (minus politics).

I have no idea what these other folks are talking about (church= america?). I believe the founders of our nation would have a huge problem with what some have foisted as america vs our constitution.

I remember you saying you were younger in another thread and I wonder if you've ever seen the old timey films portraying america as apple pie, honesty is the best policy, hard work pays, and looking out for your community is part of being a man. Decency was the rule, not the exception. This too may have been a good deal of hollywood, but the depression era generation tended to be much more straightforward and sensible (not just the candy version in films, in actual real life). Listen to them before they're all gone to know for yourself. Otherwise you'll have to watch Jimmy Stewart movies and stretch your imagination around hollywood sales pitch.

I think they're noble aspirations in need of resurrection, but most of america has no faith that it's possible when too many of our fellow citizens are committed to being scam artists or what's in it for me mentality. The way some folks talk there isn't an honest man left in this world. Sacrifice for greater good is for suckers. America had a cultural heart attack when JKF & MLK were assassinated. It made them jaded, doubt that the power of our nation was being used for the good, and in some ways, that "We the People" really have a vote at all. At least that's my theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 01:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Until the last post, I think this conversation got caught up in semantics due to some poor phrasing in the OP.

There is definitely a glorification of that working class white culture. Not really farmers (whose industry, by the way, depends on major federal handouts to stay afloat) or church goers (I have no idea what that has to do with "real America"), but the culture that drives everywhere and shops at Wal Mart and is stereotyped by politicians as "Joe Six Pack".

I think it's rooted in the fact that so much wealth came to the U.S. and a culture of such limited education would be far poorer in other countries. In the U.S., they collectively became a very powerful and wealthy middle class influence in society. I know a lot of Europeans and others around the world are frustrated that they have such a powerful voice in affecting global policy yet have little intellectual engagement with or understanding of global issues. Palin and Bush (though Bush was just pretending to be one of them) really stoked this frustration into palpable anger.

Now - I've lived and worked in this culture and have a lot of family in this culture. Don't attack me.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:21 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
I agree just about 100% with the OP. Luckily the white trash component of the nation is gradually diminishing, or so it seems if election results are any indication.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I agree just about 100% with the OP. Luckily the white trash component of the nation is gradually diminishing, or so it seems if election results are any indication.
If election results are an indicator, I guess "white trash" are increasing due to the welfare platform that Dems love

Old 02-08-2009, 02:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
If election results are an indicator, I guess "white trash" are increasing due to the welfare platform that Dems love
You might want to look at a map of who pays the most federal tax dollars and who benefits most.

Paying in:
The Tax Foundation - Federal Tax Burden by U.S. Congressional District, 2004 (congressional district)
The Tax Foundation - Federal Tax Burden by County, 2004 (county)

Feeding from:
TaxProf Blog: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed
Yes, this is a blog, but it links to taxfoundation and has a good description of who benefits from tax dollars.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 AM

716 posts, read 1,119,547 times
I know I'm new, but this caught my eye. What really is WT? I guess I always thought of it as more of a state of mind than economic status. I have known some poor white families that were great people and middle class ones who were scumbags. I think most true "white trash" are probably not even registered to vote. Also, while the term has it's time and place, it is pretty offensive and ignorant to refer to all lower income white people as "WT."

Old 02-08-2009, 03:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
I don't think that's what the OP meant.
It was clarified a few posts later to read better.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 AM

716 posts, read 1,119,547 times
I know, I was sort of responding to a few posts where people compared voting results with white trash which is just stupid.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:36 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
not surprised you cant decipher it. if you dont/cant understand move along. read it carefully, better yet why bother

I don't speak White Trash or Ghetto. Whatever your post was, it was not English. Pick up a grammar book next time you go to the library. I can tolerate a typo. Your post was off the chart.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 AM

49 posts, read 136,964 times
The greatest strength America has is its diversity and immigrants, but for some reason it just won't recognise this, and peddles some version of American values that is rooted in bigotry and ignorance.
San francisco gay pride marchers, The visitors to Yasgers farm, Black pentecostalists and Cuban republicans are as much part of America as the Westbro Baptists or the guests on Jerry Springer.
As the film says, America is a big country, the rednecks are a small part of it. The trouble is, some people think that hill billy hooligans are better than Mexican immigrants. They shout this loudly and try to drown out others: this isn't what the American Dream is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies