Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:19 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No, conservative economic theory teaches us that the rise in wages caused by increased union work will draw more Americans back to the work.

Correct, but only in the long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:28 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
The government is making sure that its money goes to American workers and pays them well.
No. The government is making sure that any company that contracts with the government will have union workers.

There are skilled construction workers and businesses that are not unionized, you know.

Why are they being discriminated against?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Dubya would have OUTSOURCED all of THEM to India, China,..etc
Then given a TAX BREAK to the CEOs as a REWARD!
Bush's EO allowed non-union businesses and workers to contract government work.

You can thank Bubba for all that outsourcing, jobs going overseas. Does NAFTA ring a bell? We are and have been experiencing the effects of that legislation for quite a few years now.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
It's just vote buying. Use public money to buy support from the Unions.

If I own a construction company with some non-union workers, now I can't bid for certain govt. contracts? Before this repeal, union, a mix of union/non-union or complete non-union workforce companies could bid for contracts. What is wrong with that?

Sounds like it excludes competition from the bidding process in favor of the unions.

Sounds like the taxpayer is gonna get screwed in favor of the unions.
Exactly. Payback time from obama for the unions support.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:39 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Correct, but only in the long-term.

Thanks for a small concession, really, I'm not cracking wise.

Long term solutions work for me, I think we need a little long term thinking.

Perhaps you mean it will take time for increased pay to draw Americans back to the work, indeed it might. But IMO this will be better for American workers in the long run and good for me and mine in the short one, if I may be excused for nakedly favoring my own interest.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

Long term solutions work for me, I think we need a little long term thinking.
Agreed.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
There are skilled construction workers and businesses that are not unionized, you know.

Why are they being discriminated against?

The workers can join the unions, and the unions will be looking for hands. Then the workers will make more money, have better conditions and get a union controlled pension like mine that allowed me to retire at 55.

Or do you argue that more money, better conditions and an early retirement are not in their interest? If you can make that fly we'll call you Plato.

As for the employers, well they can choose to either go union or lose a chance at this work. It's their choice. Personal responsibility and all that: they makes choices and live with the consequences.

Actually I think Obama's mandate allows project labor agreements, which Bush had banned. I don't think it mandates them. So I think non union contractors can still get Federal work as long as they meet Davis-Bacon, something they've done for a long time.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 PM

What's funny about all this is that when I joined my trade in 1970 union construction guys were living well and many were acting very conservatively, even voting Republican. The conservatives had a happy and complacent working class that was more concerned with bassboats and playing golf than in politics and economics. The same was true of many auto workers, steel workers and other unionized blue collar workers.

But like the monkey who can't get his fist out of the jar the conservatives couldn't leave well enough alone. They had to push and push and force down the wages and conditions of American workers and now American workers are again heavily Democratic and many are radicalized. And this now holds true for many white-collar workers too; once heavily Republican now the screws are being put to them and they resent it.

Hell, I know fellas who dislike Black people but voted for Obama: why? Because they now realize their economic interest is far more important than disliking Blacks; racism is a luxury people can't afford. Now they've taken a step forward that they'll never step back.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
The workers can join the unions, and the unions will be looking for hands. Then the workers will make more money, have better conditions and get a union controlled pension like mine that allowed me to retire at 55.
Who says they will make more money? Who says they will be better off unionized? We have all heard the stories I'm sure - lazy union workers pulling 8 hours pay for 5 hours worked, destroying companies with their legacy benefits that make it virtually impossible for companies to compete.

Quote:
Or do you argue that more money, better conditions and an early retirement are not in their interest? If you can make that fly we'll call you Plato.
Have they earned any of this? Have they worked for it?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Who says they will make more money? Who says they will be better off unionized? .......blah, blah, blah

Having again failed to make sensible arguments you're once again just flinging unwarranted assertions and being contradictory, like the Monty Python sketch. You're not to be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies