Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 AM

40 posts, read 73,666 times

Advertisements

I guess Hollywood isn't doing its job so well. They expected everyone to say Harvey Milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Buddhism!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I once asked a Mormon, who was trying to get me to vote for George Wallace, how the Mormons established holiness-ranking in their congregational temple structure. I didn't get a clear answer....
Most interesting. Mormons, like all other religions, conduct themselves as if THEY ALONE have all the "right" answers when it comes to "faith" and matters of religion. Yet here was a Mormon trying to get you to vote for the avowedly racist George Wallace. I find it impossible that any religion would align itself with racism and still be a valid religion. Or at least the people in the religion are not valid, which gets at your next remark, that religion, or "religious" people, are hypocrites. Interesting to note is that Utah, a largely Mormon state, voted overwhelmingly (63%) for McCain (the highest vote of ANY state besides OK) an indication that racism is alive and well in the Mormon population.

Quote:
....It just seems to me that religion is hypocrisy.
My opinion too; they are quick to condemn others but sweep their own dirt under the rug. There are countless posts and threads in this forum pointing out the hypocrisy of politicians and religious types, mostly those of the far right.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Buddhism!!!!!!
I like it - except that I've never seen it defended well from the hypocrites.

Maybe that is what Government should be for.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM

40 posts, read 73,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Most interesting. Mormons, like all other religions, conduct themselves as if THEY ALONE have all the "right" answers when it comes to "faith" and matters of religion. Yet here was a Mormon trying to get you to vote for the avowedly racist George Wallace. I find it impossible that any religion would align itself with racism and still be a valid religion. Or at least the people in the religion are not valid, which gets at your next remark, that religion, or "religious" people, are hypocrites. Interesting to note is that Utah, a largely Mormon state, voted overwhelmingly (63%) for McCain (the highest vote of ANY state besides OK) an indication that racism is alive and well in the Mormon population.

My opinion too; they are quick to condemn others but sweep their own dirt under the rug. There are countless posts and threads in this forum pointing out the hypocrisy of politicians and religious types, mostly those of the far right.
Do you realize how many religions are based on race? tribalism? Judaism is probably the most well known. Christianity and Muslim religions are multi-racial and open, and the term catholic (with small c) means everyone. Kwanzaa is racist. I doubt the American Indians would have allowed a white man to become their "chief" or wise man.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Buddhism!!!!!!
So this Buddhist walks into a hamburger stand and says "Make me one with everything."

Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So this Buddhist walks into a hamburger stand and says "Make me one with everything."
Don't make me come back there!

I'll turn this car around and take you right back to your sandbox!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Don't make me come back there!

I'll turn this car around and take you right back to your sandbox!
Just pass me back a cold beer and everything will be fine.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Just pass me back a cold beer and everything will be fine.
You may find your experience leaves you sadder, Bud Wiser....

Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdL View Post
Do you realize how many religions are based on race? tribalism? Judaism is probably the most well known. Christianity and Muslim religions are multi-racial and open, and the term catholic (with small c) means everyone. Kwanzaa is racist. I doubt the American Indians would have allowed a white man to become their "chief" or wise man.
Apparently they all are racists and bigots. Thanks for making the point that all religions are a bogus bunch of hypocrites. WHY don't people quit putting their "faith" into "faiths" that really have no "faith" in their fellow man? Oh wait, never mind, I've got the answer: Because it's the American Way. Yaaaaay for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies