Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times

Advertisements

I know, we go through these cycles and we pull out. I know the world has always had natural disasters and so on. But does all this feel different to anyone else?

I believe the economy will not rebound and we are indeed heading into at least a new era, if not the end of life as we know it. The modern world economies have been built on a system much like Amway, or an MLM, or like Madiff's ponzie scheme. Same concept. It's all falling down folks. Bailouts, stimulus, spending bills won't and can't stop this mess. It's real and as we get further into it, the mess will compound upon itself and spiral out of control. I assure you at the very least, this will happen.

And at the same time, too much tension in the world and pressure on Western world nations to do something. 3rd world countries want 1st world status, modern era countries do not wish to give up power and so on. Liberals, (sorry liberals) want to give credence and support to terrorism rather then just taking it on and being done with it.

I think there is something to the year 2012. The world won't end, but I believe a new day will emerge and much pain will there through the passage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM

272 posts, read 730,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
....much pain will there through the passage.
I have to agree with this part. Yeah, it looks like we've come up on Armageddon without realizing it. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth, you betcha!

Will be interesting to see if this Rapture thing happens and then the 1000 years of purgatory. Wish it had come when my knees were better than they are.

No need stocking up on Spam. We're vegetarians.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I know, we go through these cycles and we pull out. I know the world has always had natural disasters and so on. But does all this feel different to anyone else?

I believe the economy will not rebound and we are indeed heading into at least a new era, if not the end of life as we know it. The modern world economies have been built on a system much like Amway, or an MLM, or like Madiff's ponzie scheme. Same concept. It's all falling down folks. Bailouts, stimulus, spending bills won't and can't stop this mess. It's real and as we get further into it, the mess will compound upon itself and spiral out of control. I assure you at the very least, this will happen.

And at the same time, too much tension in the world and pressure on Western world nations to do something. 3rd world countries want 1st world status, modern era countries do not wish to give up power and so on. Liberals, (sorry liberals) want to give credence and support to terrorism rather then just taking it on and being done with it.

I think there is something to the year 2012. The world won't end, but I believe a new day will emerge and much pain will there through the passage.
Well its not like we're all asking for it. Ursury which drives the banking system is forbidden in Judaism,Christianity and Islam.
Taking on terrorism also means taking on state terrorism like that practised by Israel - will you conservatives support the liberals if they carry that out?
The world will stumble but it will dust itself and carry on its journey...until the day God decrees that our time's up

Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
I recently watched the film 'Children of Men', and frankly it scared the **** out of me. For those who have seen it-you know where I'm coming from...the chaos, the breakdown of civilization, war, homeland security rounding people up...

I don't really buy into the "World is going to end on 12/12/12" thing or whatever it is but I definately feel that we are headed into a new era and things are going to CHANGE all right-but not for the better...IMO it's spiraling downhill fast from here.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
This is so absolutely hysterical. The folks who stood by, in fact encouraged, the policies of the last 8 years are NOW dropping to their knees because a someone is trying to undo the policies that got us to this particular place. How freaking bizarre is that?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:06 AM

345 posts, read 643,189 times
If there's one thing this forum has taught me, it's that if a giant, unavoidable asteroid was on a direct collision course with earth, liberals and conservatives would find ways to blame each other for it.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I recently watched the film 'Children of Men', and frankly it scared the **** out of me. For those who have seen it-you know where I'm coming from...the chaos, the breakdown of civilization, war, homeland security rounding people up...

I don't really buy into the "World is going to end on 12/12/12" thing or whatever it is but I definately feel that we are headed into a new era and things are going to CHANGE all right-but not for the better...IMO it's spiraling downhill fast from here.
About 10-years ago or so I read a book called "Behold a Pale Horse" - it was written by an ex CIA guy. The book is somewhat hard to read, almost cryptic. However, it was worth it. It's mentioned in the book about the "rounding up." Really disheartening.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCowboy

Did you just travel from the year 1930? Peace! Calm thyself!

While I'm not afraid of the world ending, I am afraid that we're repeating the 30s. I don't think it'll be as bad as then, but it will be bad enough. I'm also afraid that the crisis could lead to the rise of extremist governments in some very important countries. And that could create some major, MAJOR problems down the road, of course.

It's like peering into a long, dark tunnel. You can't not go through it. You don't know what's in the tunnel, nor do you know what's on the other side. But you have to go through it to get there. Quite unnerving.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is so absolutely hysterical. The folks who stood by, in fact encouraged, the policies of the last 8 years are NOW dropping to their knees because a someone is trying to undo the policies that got us to this particular place. How freaking bizarre is that?

"Most Japanese economists have tended to take a bleaker view of their nation’s track record, saying that Japan spent more than enough money, but wasted too much of it on roads to nowhere and other unneeded projects."
"Dr. Ihori of the University of Tokyo did a survey of public works in the 1990s, concluding that the spending created almost no additional economic growth. Instead of spreading beneficial ripple effects across the economy, he found that the spending actually led to declines in business investment by driving out private investors. He also said job creation was too narrowly focused in the construction industry in rural areas to give much benefit to the overall economy."

Learning from Japan’s Big Debt Spending Failure » The Foundry

This never works and it really won't work now because we have no one to borrow this money from. That means the only way to fund this spending package is to print worthless paper. That means Stagflation (Carternomics) and that is something those of us who lived through it really do not want to have to go through again. But hey, whatever it takes to buy votes, Right?

By the way, those policies of the last eight years that you feel led to this, could you point one out for us so we can all better understand what you're talking about? You know, when you make a general statement like that without any sort of details or supporting materials, people tend to get the idea that you're just a mindless liberal parrot.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
As a rational person I hate to agree,Cowboy, but there are a lot of indications that the world we know of, the economic, social, cultural structure, has numbered days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies