Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 PM

416 posts, read 712,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Yeah, but very rarely are they overturned because the offender was innocent...

Either a court declares lethal injection "cruel and unusual punishment" and spends half a year halting executions for no reason..

Or there is a minor legal technicality, I guess one will always pop up if you have 30 years of appeals before the sentence is carried out

Or SCOTUS tramples state's rights... declaring child rape non capital, thereby forcing states to allow monsters of off death row....

Perhaps if we actually used the death penalty effciently , we wouldn't be bickering about the "unreliability" of it...
This is not true. Exonerations based on DNA evidence are increasing at a rate that ought to make anyone who cares about justice queasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
This is not true. Exonerations based on DNA evidence are increasing at a rate that ought to make anyone who cares about justice queasy.
Most DNA exonerations are for rape, not murder. They are quite rare in any case, they are just hyped up to the stratosphere by the media when they occur..

And most of the "exonerations" aren't because a totally innocent person was convicted, more often it's because so and so was an accomplice to the murder instead of the actual shooter.... it's still murder.

Most overturned sentences aren't form "exoneration", far more often it's a legal techincality......

Example:

Troy Victorino is asking for his death sentence to be overturned because he was tried at the same time as his codefendants, therefore his trial was "unfair".... sounds like a technicality to me...

Doesn't change the fact that he murdered 6 people in a violent killing spree over an XBOX...

Old 02-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Most DNA exonerations are for rape, not murder. They are quite rare in any case, they are just hyped up to the stratosphere by the media when they occur..

And most of the "exonerations" aren't because a totally innocent person was convicted, more often it's because so and so was an accomplice to the murder instead of the actual shooter.... it's still murder.

Most overturned sentences aren't form "exoneration", far more often it's a legal techincality......

Example:

Troy Victorino is asking for his death sentence to be overturned because he was tried at the same time as his codefendants, therefore his trial was "unfair".... sounds like a technicality to me...

Doesn't change the fact that he murdered 6 people in a violent killing spree over an XBOX...
First, you pretend that we're only talking about murder, when the entire thread has been about crime in general. Nice try.

Then you explain that sentences are overturned without exoneration, when I never claimed anything different. Friends of mine work for the Innocence Project. I understand the difference. One example of a non-exoneration does not change the fact of exonerations ... there have been hundreds of exonerations based on DNA, including 17 from death row. In addition, over 100 people have been exonerated while on death row for a variety of reasons. I'm talking about post-conviction exoneration here, not overturning a sentence for procedural reasons, nor introducing DNA evidence at trial.

I'm talking about proof that people who were found guilty - and in many cases sentenced to death - were NOT guilty.

Last edited by Unstable; 02-11-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
One thing could be done to reduce the prison population. Decriminalize marijuana and other drug use. The prison population is full of people with substance abuse problems, and if given the chance, many of them would become viable members of our communities. Take a bit of the money you would have spent housing inmates, and put it into scholarships for substance abuse counselors, buildings for substance abuse programs, and paying counselors.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
First, you pretend that we're only talking about murder, when the entire thread has been about crime in general. Nice try.

Then you explain that sentences are overturned without exoneration, when I never claimed anything different. Friends of mine work for the Innocence Project. I understand the difference. One example of a non-exoneration does not change the fact of exonerations ... there have been hundreds of exonerations based on DNA, including 15 from death row. In addition, over 100 people have been exonerated while on death row for a variety of reasons. I'm talking about post-conviction exoneration here, not overturning a sentence for procedural reasons, nor introducing DNA evidence at trial.

I'm talking about proof that people who were found guilty - and in many cases sentenced to death - were NOT guilty.
I thought we were talking about the death penalty.... therefore murder is the only way to end up on death row....thanks to SCOTUS trampling state's rights...

Then we should make the system more efficient... I'm not willing to abolish the entire system because of a couple of mistakes.... and with all the appeals and reviews the inmates get it is next to impossible to slip through the cracks....

Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
One thing could be done to reduce the prison population. Decriminalize marijuana and other drug use. The prison population is full of people with substance abuse problems, and if given the chance, many of them would become viable members of our communities. Take a bit of the money you would have spent housing inmates, and put it into scholarships for substance abuse counselors, buildings for substance abuse programs, and paying counselors.
Not gonna be too effective in CA. I doubt a large amount of their prison population is there for pot anyways, CA is already one of the most lenient states...... ticket or the county slammer at most..

Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Alright, good point about murder. I confused myself as the argument gradually evolved.

It's one thing to improve the system - if it can be improved - it's another to get on the internet claiming that the system works as it is and any evidence to the contrary is a liberal hoax.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Not gonna be too effective in CA. I doubt a large amount of their prison population is there for pot anyways, CA is already one of the most lenient states...... ticket or the county slammer at most..
Three strikes contributes a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies