Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Gosh i wish City Data would allow Vasinger to come back as we need a laugh on here. He was like the modern day version of Mr Rogers .
maybe he's already back? He has that habit...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
maybe he's already back? He has that habit...........
LOL, that would be too damn funny . Let's see he was Vasinger and then Richmonder27 and now ................... ?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
It doesn't make sense, and its an insult to those born in this country.

Anyone born in the United States is a "native American"

The proper term for Indians in the US, is "American Indian".

And I'm 1/8th American Indian. When someone says "native American" it drives me nuts!
Indian initially referred to East Indian but they didn't know what to call them so that's what came about.

American is usually thought of as someone born here. Native American is someone whose heritage originated here. Non-First Nations peoples (non-Native Americans) heritage originated elsewhere. It's not that big a deal.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Well my ancestry is Tsalagi (Cherokee) and that's what I call myself but you can call me anything you want as long as it isn't late for dinner...

Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Quote:
It doesn't make sense, and its an insult to those born in this country.

Anyone born in the United States is a "native American"

The proper term for Indians in the US, is "American Indian".

And I'm 1/8th American Indian. When someone says "native American" it drives me nuts!
Because, as far as we know, they were the first people here before the land stealer, Christopher Columbus, and his crew, decided to bum rush the land and call it their own..

I personally think you should be proud of the name "Native American" and embrace it. But, I sort of understand where you're coming from because I can't stand the term "African-American", either. Caucasians can call themselves "African-American"....I am BLACK...a BLACK American. If I'm filling something out, and they have "African-American" down as a choice instead of "Black", I'll mark 'OTHER'....

Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM

80 posts, read 155,975 times
LOL @ bump a 2+ year old thread.

It's even more of an insult to label themselves as Indians.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
The proper term is American Indians.
Before responding, let me clarify that I am an American Indian or a Native American. Like you, my preference is "American Indian." Others of my people prefer "Native American."

Strictly speaking, there IS NO proper term. You and I were taught that "American Indian" is correct, while others have been taught that "Native American" is correct. Which is truly correct? Depending on one's origins it can be either, neither, or both!

My suggestion is to let folks know how you, personally, prefer to be addressed, and stop worrying about the rest. The behavior of others is one of the many things we cannot control.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I have family on the Res and they often refer to themselves as "Native" I just know we all peoples.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I have family on the Res and they often refer to themselves as "Native" I just know we all peoples.
Interesting sun...In the GWN people say native, Aboriginal, or First Nations, First Peoples. We don't use the term Candian Indian. Most people would identify as Aboriginal or First Nations. People say I live on the "rez". Because I am mixed race, I use the term Metis. In the end we are all people...

Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Interesting sun...In the GWN people say native, Aboriginal, or First Nations, First Peoples. We don't use the term Candian Indian. Most people would identify as Aboriginal or First Nations. People say I live on the "rez". Because I am mixed race, I use the term Metis. In the end we are all people...
And from your name...I thought you were a girl from Thailand who now lives in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies