Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

So nice to see the ignorance of those who never served in the military show their contempt and hatred of the military and those who choose to serve. I'm not a fighter so I joined the Navy to work in the engine room of a ship. I still serve my country without getting into direct combat. There are many jobs in the military one can join up for that would not be in combat. Oh, and for those who like to think our military enjoys murdering innocent people like the example he gave in the article, try to think about this for a moment;...suicide bombers. Get close enough to the military and then detonate the bomb. If the locals obey the order to stop or step back then they aren't shot. If they continue to rush forward then they are a potential threat and must be shot before they can get close enough to kill them. Some things that happened in Vietnam included the Communist using women and babies as suicide bombers. The woman is given a baby and a handgrenade. She walks towards American soldiers. They miss their babies at home and crowd around the baby making baby noises to try to get the baby to laugh. While they're doing that, she pulls the pin blowing up herself, the baby, and the soldiers. Funny that islamic terrorist are using the same method used by Communist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
He said he hopes the Army shows some leniency since Cornell avoided the war because of his political convictions
And as a result, someone else had to cover for your ass. Once again...WHY THE **** DID YOU JOIN THE MILITARY?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Very sad. The recruiters don't tell these children that they might actually have to kill people. They just tell them about the 100+ different jobs they can do and all the money they'll have for college when they get out.

Sure, the firearms practice and time in the gas-chamber should have clued him in to the fact that maybe, just maybe the army was spending a lot of money to make him a soldier who might have to face other soldiers on a battlefield. They most likely didn't tell him that he might be shooting at families who run check-points in Iraq because they are trying to escape the wholesale destruction of their homes.

The fact remains, he signed the contract and should have tried to work within the chain of command rather than running away.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
"I didn't join the military to kill innocents."

I'm interested in what people think about this.

US soldier who abandoned unit returns from Canada - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090210/ap_on_re_us/war_resister_5 - broken link)
SAVANNAH, Ga. – Sporting a dragon tattoo on his forearm and skulls on both biceps, Cliff Cornell looks tough. But he dissolves into tears as he reflects on his return to the Army four years after he fled to Canada to avoid the war in Iraq.

Read the full story at the above link.
I think he should have thought of that before he enlisted. I have sympathy for someone that has been drafted and does not believe in the cause. I have little sympathy for someone that enlisted in the military knowing full well the possibilities of war.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:45 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
There might be a few, don't know for sure, but knowing the history of the Vietnam War, it seems like it was happening over there, so there's a good chance it may be happening again. As for intent, if you lob a grenade or shoot a building full of holes, and you have a pretty good idea there might be possibility there are civilians inside, is that not still a form of murder?
BINGO! Now shut up!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:49 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So nice to see the ignorance of those who never served in the military show their contempt and hatred of the military and those who choose to serve. I'm not a fighter so I joined the Navy to work in the engine room of a ship. I still serve my country without getting into direct combat. There are many jobs in the military one can join up for that would not be in combat. Oh, and for those who like to think our military enjoys murdering innocent people like the example he gave in the article, try to think about this for a moment;...suicide bombers. Get close enough to the military and then detonate the bomb. If the locals obey the order to stop or step back then they aren't shot. If they continue to rush forward then they are a potential threat and must be shot before they can get close enough to kill them. Some things that happened in Vietnam included the Communist using women and babies as suicide bombers. The woman is given a baby and a handgrenade. She walks towards American soldiers. They miss their babies at home and crowd around the baby making baby noises to try to get the baby to laugh. While they're doing that, she pulls the pin blowing up herself, the baby, and the soldiers. Funny that islamic terrorist are using the same method used by Communist.
Thank you for your service.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
They'll never understand, Dave. All these punks have on their mental hard drives are the photos of General Thieu executing the VC during Tet and the kids running down the road after having been napalmed by the RVN air force. To them, all Vietnam vets are Lieutenant Calleys. Thanks MSM, Oliver Stone, and the whole gang of kiss-mod cut-language Hollywood/media pimps.

Their only interest in the military is Abu Ghraib and how soon gays can wear rainbow uniforms. The idea of military SERVICE never occurs to them, except as something to mock and despise.

If our country ever faces a determined foreign enemy, these mod cut-language might end up being drafted and asked to defend us. Good luck to the country with that.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 02-12-2009 at 03:04 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 04:16 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Are you saying America's military men and women intentionally kill innocent women and children?

How much do you think it matters whether the killing of innocents is intentional? What if it's mostly due to carelessness of the attackers? Carelessness does not absolve the attacker from responsibility. Carelessness versus intention--that would be a good discussion.

How much care goes into attacks planned by officers and carried out by the enlisted ranks?

Within the military, what are the ramifications on the planners of attacks when innocents are killed?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Quote:
Are you saying America's military men and women intentionally kill innocent women and children?
You surely must be joking. Are you really that naive? Haven't you been paying attention AT ALL for the last 6 years? OF COURSE AMERICAN SOLDIERS HAVE KILLED INNOCENT MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN FOR FUN AND PROFIT. It happens in every war.

LiveLeak.com - US Soldiers Celebrating Killing Iraqi Civilians (Apparently)

The intelligence and bravery of American soldiers on grahic display. Our brave men in uniform celebrating the murder of innocents.

IRAQ: US war veterans: ‘Killing Iraqi civilians is policy’

US war veterans: ‘Killing Iraqi civilians is policy’

“The killing of innocent civilians is policy”, Iraq war veteran Mike Blake told a public meeting held on January 19 at the Different Drummer Cafe in Watertown, New York State, near the Canadian border.

“It’s unit policy and it’s Army policy. It’s not official policy, but it’s what’s happens on the ground everyday. It’s what unit commanders individually encourage.”

Iraq war veteran Matt Howard concurred: “These decisions are coming from the top down”, he said. “The tactics that we use, the policies that the military engages, will create situations, create dynamics, create — ultimately — atrocity.”

Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Quote:
What a pile of cr@p. Bottom line - our military invaded countries that were no threat to us and butchered, maimed & slaughtered hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians. Americans are the invaders; those who oppose and attack the American terrorist invaders are heroes and patriots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies