Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM

172 posts, read 279,053 times

Advertisements

People watched Obama because they wanted to hear what he had to say that's why I watched.... Beat watching re-runs and infomercials on the other 92 channels my cable company offers.

Put Idol on at the same time though and as many channels and he would lose the numbers game!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Umms, ahhs, and pauses are very common when intelligent people speak.

It generally means they are taking a little time to think prior to responding to a question.
Does this mean that liberals are taking back all their screeches, insults, and lies about George W. Bush's speaking style?

Wisdom comes to us all, some later than others apparently.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
The most surprising part of this to me is that Obama wasn't on American Idol.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What does that mean? If someone could not find an alternate channel to view, they could just shut the TV. I assume people tuned in to hear Obama because they chose to.
Or were just waiting for their regular program to come back on. I've done that plenty of times when something was on all four channels. It wasn't a slam on Obama.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Don't forget all the umms and ahhs and pauses and mistakes...
Don't forget, if you can continue to focus on something so insignificant and ridiculous, people might actually start taking you seriously.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Once Obama got finished reading his opening statement off the teleprompter he had set up, and people began asking questions, he paused, stuttered, said "Um" and "ah" innumerable times,
Yeah, you're right. It is great having a president that thinks through his answers - that has the security to think through answers.

I watched the press conference and didn't notice excessive verbal stumbles, though. I've seen that in the past, but that's just what smart people do when they're processing the best answer on the spot.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Does this mean that liberals are taking back all their screeches, insults, and lies about George W. Bush's speaking style?

Wisdom comes to us all, some later than others apparently.
There's a fundamental difference between "um"s and "ah"s interspersed with intelligent concepts and an indivual, such as Bush, who struggled not with ideas in his mind but with words and sentences.

Obama is working on a higher level.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
The most surprising part of this to me is that Obama wasn't on American Idol.
He was voted off

Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
One of these years, we probably won't even have a Presidential election. We'll just have some sort of special version of "American Idol," where television audiences will select the next President according to nothing more substantial than popularity. The candidate who sings better, and doesn't dress too badly, will win four years in the White House. And the judges will make their decisions right after this important commercial message.

When that happens, nobody will have to start threads wondering when the world is going to end; it will be imminent!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Gee, one would hope that when the new president is going to spend $800+ billion dollars above and beyond the usual defecit, people would want to tune in to see what is going on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies