Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Under HIPPA regulations - you will have to give permission.

You have shown absolutely nothing from the bill regarding it being mandatory.

Back it up like I did.
You know, you keep pointing to HIPPA but do you have any idea who has access to your records under HIPPA and exactly what that "form" you sign means? Would you be surprised if you found out that form you sign doesn't mean much at all?

This has become a circular argument and no one on here will ever convince people blinded by want of government freebies or that the government should be the nannies of us all that it is NOT a good thing for career pols to be in control of your most intimate info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Paying income tax is voluntary....

Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You know, you keep pointing to HIPPA but do you have any idea who has access to your records under HIPPA and exactly what that "form" you sign means? Would you be surprised if you found out that form you sign doesn't mean much at all?

This has become a circular argument and no one on here will ever convince people blinded by want of government freebies or that the government should be the nannies of us all that it is NOT a good thing for career pols to be in control of your most intimate info.
Yes, I do. I work in the healthcare field. I have to take a course on this every year. If this was as huge of a threat as you're making it out to be, believe me, we'd be flipping out because it would be affecting our bottom line.

You must be informed of whom your information is being shared with, and you have the right to opt-out.

I don't have any "want" of Government freebies, nice generalization. Just stating the facts as actually presented in the bill, not hyperbole from talk show hosts. The fact is: it's not mandatory.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

By the same token the right wing paranoids will not be convinced either

It's really absurd. Do people really think they are important enough for the government to care about THEIR personal medical records Seriously..LOL..

I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever of allowing MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS who will treat me having access to my medical records.. NONE WHATSOEVER!

Why does everyone suddenly think that because there is a database employers who have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with your healthcare decisions will have access?? It's just silly! OF COURSE they won't have access.. becasue their access has NO MEDICAL VALUE whatsoever!

However, having my information available for a healtchare professional to access should I be unconcious or unable to speak.. and it may save my life.. go for it.

Really.. LOL. some people on here must think so highly of themselves that they actually think the gov't cares about them and their personal information.. it's silly.. reallly really silly.

And..it's pointless.. becasue as Newtoli pointed out it is not something that is mandatory etc.. LOL

ANd.. btw.. UHC and medical records digitilized or modernized are NOWHERE NEAR the same thing anyway. The OP needs to educate themselves on WHAT a UHC is.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

You must be informed of whom your information is being shared with, and you have the right to opt-out.
Was this right to opt out in the Hipaa bill?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 AM

I also find it hilarious that no one has brought up the fact the Bush is the one who spearheaded this campaign back in 2004... but it's the evil Dems right?

Bush is the one who actually set the 2014 deadline.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0308/032708bb1.htm

Quote:
The NHIN is a key component of a project that President Bush kicked off in 2004 to create a system that eventually will provide electronic health records for every American. Bush set 2014 as the deadline to have the majority of the public's electronic health records available to any doctor's office, hospital or clinic hooked up to the network.
What's funny is the Bloomberg Opinion piece calls this a "New Bureaucracy", even though it's been in place since 2004.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Deadline for what???

Nothing is mandatory.

Also in the Hipaa rules,is it written that a patient can opt out?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Should have put it as "Deadline".... but if you read the article, it stated "for most records to be in the database".

HIPPA is a monster. I'm not going to try and explain it in detail, there are boatloads of rules and regs about what must be disclosed by a HCP. You must be notified of every which way your information will be used and shared, and you can then request that it not be shared in any way you do not want it to be.

You want to know more? It will bore you to tears, but here it is:

Health Information Privacy

Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 AM

No...this is pretty simple,under the Hipaa rules and regulations,is it written that the patient can opt out?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No...this is pretty simple,under the Hipaa rules and regulations,is it written that the patient can opt out?
If you had visited the link and tried to educate yourself, you would be able to answer it for yourself, but:

HIPAA deals with privacy related to health records.

Yes. You can tell the provider exactly how you wish your medical information to be treated, and whom you wish it to be shared with. Have you been to a doctor lately? They give you a HIPAA form to sign. Read it next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies