Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 03:55 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Just because you haven't heard of such a thing doesn't make it ridiculous.

OK, so you've heard of no such thing. So, tell us what kind of plan it will be. I asked what country's socialized medicine is going to be the model for this country's health plan, but you didn't answer. So, what WILL the plan give us?

By the way, I know a physician who is British who spoke quite candidly about why he came to the US to practice medicine and it was pretty clear which country he thinks has a better system.

So, on your wish list for universal coverage, what kind of benefits are you envisioning you will have?

I've already stated it several times throughout several threads on the issue... go back and read them .. models are examples that could be fine tuned to meet the needs, requirements of the people within it. Would it be perfect.. absolutely no such thing.. BUT.. there is BETTER.. and IMPROVEMENT.. AGain.. countries with socialized medicine are not calling for a U.S run system of healthcare AT ALL. As a matter of fact they look to us as a what NOT to do in healthcare..

Their system is far better and far more efficient than ours is. Leaps and bounds. One physician you spoke to from the UK does NOT mean that they all feel that way.. as their are many physicians who feel many different ways about the U.S system here.

Bottom line. they manage to have care for all their citizens.. with excellent preventative medicine at 1/2 the GDP we have in the U.S AND we still have 47 million plus uninsured at DOUBLE the GDP. As someone pointed out we have higher mortality rates..etc... it's quite pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 04:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I have a friend with access to Westlaw who will search for me.

What's the name of the Statue?
Sorry for the delay - we are on the road to New Mexico and while traveling through the Salt River Canyon, I lost signal -

The Statute does not have a "name" - It is numerical.

Thanks for the offer but I prefer to do my own research - found out the hard way years ago when I let someone else do it - got reamed by a judge for it too.

When I get back to the office - I'll be sure to look it up for you.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:07 PM

Once again - here is the bottom line regarding upcoming changes to make access to health insurance more affordable:

Legislation will be drafted that, if passed, would:

Allow Health Insurance to be sold across state lines.

Mandate insurance companies provide immediate coverage for pre-existing conditions (eliminate waiting periods) - and allow the companies to surcharge pre-existing conditions with a cap (to be determined)

Tort reform to limit medical malpractice PUNITIVE Damages (not Compensatory)(This is an important distinction - and PI lawyers will lobby against this as this is where they make their money when they accept a case on contingency)

Access to the Federal insurance system will be made available

Having Health Insurance will not be compulsory

Subsidizes for those in severe economic distress, in the form of a grant like program, will be made, with a means test, that will allow the individual to purchase insurance from the insurance company of their choice.

Illegal immigrants will not be able to qualify for the subsidized health insurance.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Article | The American Prospect

Excellent article FULL of information about different systems and the American VHA system..

Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Article | The American Prospect

Excellent article FULL of information about different systems and the American VHA system..

Good article - but obviously with a Liberal persuasion. It would be nice to see a Centrist, non political analysis though for a change.

The info is actually not applicable though to the current state of things in the United States.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Once again - here is the bottom line regarding upcoming changes to make access to health insurance more affordable:

Legislation will be drafted that, if passed, would:

Allow Health Insurance to be sold across state lines.

Mandate insurance companies provide immediate coverage for pre-existing conditions (eliminate waiting periods) - and allow the companies to surcharge pre-existing conditions with a cap (to be determined)

Tort reform to limit medical malpractice PUNITIVE Damages (not Compensatory)(This is an important distinction - and PI lawyers will lobby against this as this is where they make their money when they accept a case on contingency)

Access to the Federal insurance system will be made available

Having Health Insurance will not be compulsory

Subsidizes for those in severe economic distress, in the form of a grant like program, will be made, with a means test, that will allow the individual to purchase insurance from the insurance company of their choice.

Illegal immigrants will not be able to qualify for the subsidized health insurance.

Yeah GD.. we got that the 100 times you mentioned it..

Doesn't mean we can't argue the benefits of a UHI.. I still hold out hope .. maybe not now.. but in the future.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Doesn't mean we can't argue the benefits of a UHI.. I still hold out hope .. maybe not now.. but in the future.
IMO, you, your children and your grandchildren will be long buried before there will be any "chance" of a UHI scheme.

For now, making health insurance more affordable, so that more can access it, is the important thing.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IMO, you, your children and your grandchildren will be long buried before there will be any "chance" of a UHI scheme.

For now, making health insurance more affordable, so that more can access it, is the important thing.
I have reasons not to trust insurance companie. We all have reasons why we don't trust the fed. I think the bill as you stated to be proposed will be watered down. I smell a rat with this "Mandate insurance companies provide immediate coverage for pre-existing conditions (eliminate waiting periods) - and allow the companies to surcharge pre-existing conditions with a cap (to be determined)". Also, tort reform may harm the greedy lawyers, but benefit the greedy insurance companies while the person who lost both legs and an eyeball because of malpractice is given a fixed sum like a few hundred thousand bucks which is chicken feed these days. But, I suppose its a start.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I have reasons not to trust insurance companie. We all have reasons why we don't trust the fed. I think the bill as you stated to be proposed will be watered down. I smell a rat with this "Mandate insurance companies provide immediate coverage for pre-existing conditions (eliminate waiting periods) - and allow the companies to surcharge pre-existing conditions with a cap (to be determined)". Also, tort reform may harm the greedy lawyers, but benefit the greedy insurance companies while the person who lost both legs and an eyeball because of malpractice is given a fixed sum like a few hundred thousand bucks which is chicken feed these days. But, I suppose its a start.

I agree with you.. it will be watered down.. and it will help but only slightly.

For one the mention of "caps" are vague. How are those "caps" determined..by the insurance company? Based on what? What is a reasonable surcharge to one, means someting completely different to another. It all depends on how much money you make.

I think it's a bandaid. The insurance companies, who's ONLY interest is self preservation and profit, had a HUGE hand in this..more so than any "citizen". And then there are GD's who want to keep their "perks" THEY enjoy because they percieve that a UHI will take it away from them. It is designed to appease the "little guy" while the insurance companies continue to rake us over the coals and give it to us in the rear end. It falls far short of what I expected.

Now.. we'll have to take this reform and then watch it fail or have little affect before we actually do something REAL to fix the problem.. if I end up being wrong.. I'll say I'm wrong..but I highly doubt it.. highly.

As far as not in my childs lifetime.. I do believe it will come within his lifetime. I know it won't within GD's.. and maybe at the tail end of mine. It's not as far away as GD would like to think.

Eventually this country will wake the hell up and realize that providing care to ALL of it's citizens is doable and important. Just sad that the most powerful country in the world is lagging so far behind. WE , meaning the U.S, are not as forward thinking as some would like to think. in a lot of ways.. we are ass backward.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
For one the mention of "caps" are vague. How are those "caps" determined..by the insurance company?
The cap percentage will be determined in the legislation. It will be a percentage above the "normal" premium for a person based on their age (as it is now)

So, the Cap will be determined by the Congress.

BTW, are you aware that the premiums insurance companies charge must be filed with, and approved by, your states insurance department? One of the things that will result in lower costs to the insurance companies, which by the legislation will have to be passed along to the consumer is, instead of having to file premium applications with, and get approvals from 50 different states, the Ins Co's will only have to file ONE application - with a new federal agency (that will probably be out of HEW)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies