Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:50 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I'm curious about the thinking here. If medical care is a basic right, then isn't a right for all human beings? Ethically and morally, shouldn't all people have a right to care when they need it?

Or, is it only for those who are paying for it?
I'm afraid that health care is now classified as "Luxury Goods" in the USA now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
I'm curious about the thinking here. If medical care is a basic right, then isn't a right for all human beings? Ethically and morally, shouldn't all people have a right to care when they need it?

Or, is it only for those who are paying for it?

Ah. I wasn't saying , in any way , that a person who isn't legal shouldn't be treated.. no.. I would never condone such a thing.

I was talking, however, about generally in regards to being able to get by without being reported as illegal..not neccesarily where medicine is concerned..but in other things.. like in some states.. geting Drivers Licenses etc.

BTW.. it IS a right..if it weren't.. than we wouldn't treat people in an ER that were sick who didn't have means to pay for it.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Personally what I would like to see if verification of residency status of anyone who comes to the ER - and if they are in the country illegally, treat them - but when they are released - be it an hour or a day - ICE is waiting to take them into custody and deport them.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I'm afraid that health care is now classified as "Luxury Goods" in the USA now.

Horse s hit

Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,320 times
Most of the money spent on a person is the last 5 years of there life, so where do you stop, at age 65 or 70 and just send the person home to die. That is the reality of everybody entitled to healthcare on the taxpayers dime. A government worker ( without a medical degree) bean counter will say it cost to much for that end of life saving surgery besides chances are they will die in the next 3 years anyway.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
Most of the money spent on a person is the last 5 years of there life, so where do you stop, at age 65 or 70 and just send the person home to die. That is the reality of everybody entitled to healthcare on the taxpayers dime. A government worker ( without a medical degree) bean counter will say it cost to much for that end of life saving surgery besides chances are they will die in the next 3 years anyway.
What you say may be equally true for the 6-year-old as the 60-year-old. Expensive, terrible disease knows no age barrier. My dad died at 62 with no previous health problems. Mom is 97, and still going strong. A young mother in her early 30's is dying of cancer. She's been lingering for a year now. I know a family with a child with a serious health problem. Who's to say at what age one should be denied care? Should they be denied because that treatment will prolong their life only a few years?

If medical care is a right (ethically and morally speaking), then it is a right at any age, not just when the prognosis says that the patient will definitely 'make it' and is sure to live another "x" number of years.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
Well, that's because people tend to be sicker the last 5 years of their life. See below for some examples.

Quote:
What you say may be equally true for the 6-year-old as the 60-year-old. Expensive, terrible disease knows no age barrier. My dad died at 62 with no previous health problems. Mom is 97, and still going strong. A young mother in her early 30's is dying of cancer. She's been lingering for a year now. I know a family with a child with a serious health problem. Who's to say at what age one should be denied care? Should they be denied because that treatment will prolong their life only a few years?

If medical care is a right (ethically and morally speaking), then it is a right at any age, not just when the prognosis says that the patient will definitely 'make it' and is sure to live another "x" number of years.
No one can say that, and no ethical health professional will. There are differences in treatment to consider when the patient is of advanced age.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Horse s hit
How can i argue with the leading expert on "Horse s hit"

Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
From the WSJ:
WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration will propose $60 billion in new tax increases over 10 years on wealthy estates, businesses and others to make up for shortfalls in its fund to pay for an expensive overhaul of the health-care system.
The measures go beyond plans the White House has announced in the past few weeks. Officials said that upon further analysis they realized that they had overestimated savings proposed in February to help pay the bill.

How to pay for a health-care overhaul estimated to cost more than a trillion dollars over a decade is one of the trickiest questions facing the administration and Congress. The White House has proposed a combination of health-care spending cuts and tax increases.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:45 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
What I heard this morning is a 1.5% decrease in premiums each year for 5 years. My fear is what you'll see instead are increased group health premiums over that time instead. Their argument would be the increases would have been larger if not for the 7.5% total decrease over 5 years. I heard nothing of the pre-existing clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies