Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

San Diego is upside down due to an underfunded pension system caused by secret deals put in place for years to give employee unions benefit increases in years there wasn't money to do standard pay increases.

Without fixing the real issue should San Diego Govt be given money to keep on doing what it's been doing? I'm thinking that we are going to be revisiting this again.

Is your City or County upside down due to pensions and benefits for employees?

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 02-10-2009 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
San Diego is upside down due to an underfunded pension system caused by secret deals put in place for years to give employee unions benefit increases in years there wasn't money to do standard pay increases.

Without fixing the real issue should San Diego Govt be given money to keep on doing what it's been doing? I'm thinking that we are going to be revisiting this again.

Lee County does have a budget problem, but I'm not going to blame pensions/benefits.

IMO, the sheriff's deputies and firefighters that put their lives on the line every day deserve the pensions/benefits they get.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:08 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I live in San Diego, I was born in San Diego, I grew up in San Diego, my family lives in San Diego, and I own a home in San Diego. I've been here a long time and I pay attention to local politics. San Diego's budget problems go way deeper then your simplistic "it's all the union's fault" rhetoric. The big problem is that for 30 years the city has been run by the same Republican good old boy network who claims no one has to pay any taxes and yet magically the police will get paid, the firemen will get paid, the schools won't suck, and the roads will get repaired. It isn't true.

We pay some of the lowest property taxes of any big city in America thanks to this "we won't pay any taxes" mentality and the result is the city is ALWAYS starved for fund. We have half as many police per capita as any other top 50 city in America, we have less then then 40% of the firemen per capita of any top 50 city in America, we have some of the highest school class sizes... Name the catagory and San Diego is near the bottom of the list. This isn't a spending problem this is the result of three decades of simply ignoring the basics and letting things like parks, public buildings, and roads rot away until now it is hard to find a road which doesn't have a pot hole large enough to damage a car's wheel.

Despite this low tax environment San Diego has a hard time attracting businesses because we've ignored the basics. We need to stop ignoring the basics and invest in our future or simply give up and let the city slide into 3rd world like conditions in all but the wealthy exclusive areas. That's the course we are on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies