Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
If I'm not mistaken--and it's possible that I am--the people of Scandinavian countries do not keep guns in their homes, and those societies are much less violent than ours.
You are mistaken Norway and Finland at least have very lax gun laws and high rates of gun ownership. That is why Finland has one of the highest murder rates in Europe. Norway has a middle of the pack homocide rate for Europe. Greece on the other hand where guns are highly restricted, despite their culture of street protest, aka rioting, has one of the lowest homocide rates in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomstudent View Post
you are mistaken norway and finland at least have very lax gun laws and high rates of gun ownership. That is why finland has one of the highest murder rates in europe. Norway has a middle of the pack homocide rate for europe. Greece on the other hand where guns are highly restricted, despite there culture of street protest, aka rioting, has one of the lowest homocide rates in europe.

"yawn"

Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
"yawn"
Yawn all you want. However from all the evidence I have seen the fewer gun laws you have the less crime you will have, but the more murders you will have. I have never been pro or anti gun control I think it should be up to the people who live in a particular area to decide whats more important and what they think is best. Most states and areas have a know what is best for them.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,771 times
Quote:
better to be able to use your head, have a firearm available and call the cops, and use the firearm if you feel threatened for the loss of life or limb.

please do not equate children with all children. my daughter knows how to shoot to hunt and defend if needed. she also owns a AR15 (military lookalike hunting rifle), and a glock 17 with high cap mags, and she shoots both very well.

all it takes to have children from abusing firearms, is to have a responsible parent sit down with their children and teach them that some things in life are not to be played with. hence the fact that there are no toy guns in my home at all, not even a cap gun.

ps. my daughter is 9 years of age.
I could disagree with you all day and you would still be congratulating yourself for having such a well informed kid who would never do something as dangerous as misuse a firearm. No disrespect intended, most parents think the same thing.

But if that's all it took, is for parents to explain the dangers and that some things shouldn't be touched, kids from good homes would never do drugs or drive drunk, right?

And again, there is no way I am convinced that most gun owners are doing an exemplary job of keeping guns locked up in the manner recommended and educating their kids as thoroughly as you have.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yawn all you want. However from all the evidence I have seen the fewer gun laws you have the less crime you will have, but the more murders you will have. I have never been pro or anti gun control I think it should be up to the people who live in a particular area to decide whats more important and what they think is best. Most states and areas have a know what is best for them.

fewer gun laws is always better, no gun laws would be best, as a armed people is a polite society.

people have to remember that guns dont kill, people do.

after all, show me any statistic that shows any firearm in the USA that has commited a murder by itself, without any human involvement at all.

not there, because firearms require a human being to pull the trigger to kill another human being.

no firearm shall ever murder another human being by sitting on the nightstand.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I could disagree with you all day and you would still be congratulating yourself for having such a well informed kid who would never do something as dangerous as misuse a firearm. No disrespect intended, most parents think the same thing.

But if that's all it took, is for parents to explain the dangers and that some things shouldn't be touched, kids from good homes would never do drugs or drive drunk, right?

And again, there is no way I am convinced that most gun owners are doing an exemplary job of keeping guns locked up in the manner recommended and educating their kids as thoroughly as you have.

the only time my firearms are locked up is if I am not at home, all other times I have a pistol on my side, 2 rifles and a shotgun close by.

I teach my daughter the best that I can, and since firearms is a daily part of my life, then I teach her both gun safety and the desructive capability of firearms.

maybe if parents took the time out to spend with their children and learn some gun safety, then maybe children would be learning not to play with firearms.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
fewer gun laws is always better, no gun laws would be best, as a armed people is a polite society.

people have to remember that guns dont kill, people do.

after all, show me any statistic that shows any firearm in the USA that has commited a murder by itself, without any human involvement at all.

not there, because firearms require a human being to pull the trigger to kill another human being.

no firearm shall ever murder another human being by sitting on the nightstand.
You do not have to convince me of anything about fire arms in general. All you have to convince me of is why someone from Wisconson should create the fire arm laws for the District of Columbia, or any other state/region and why you know better then they what their gun laws should be. Or why anyone from any state or region would know better than another state or region what the second state/regions gun laws shoud be.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You do not have to convince me of anything about fire arms in general. All you have to convince me of is why someone from Wisconson should create the fire arm laws for the District of Columbia, North Carolina etc. and why you know better then they what their gun laws should be. Or why anyone from any state or region would know better than another state or region what their gun laws shoud be

I dont think that anyone should be able to make any law at all against the private ownership of privately owned firearms. not state or goverment control and no serial numbers either.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Arizona has a rather high murder rate; I'd definitely stay armed if I lived in an environment where people were killing each other with such abandon.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I dont think that anyone should be able to make any law at all against the private ownership of privately owned firearms. not state or goverment control and no serial numbers either.
Even though the vast majority people in places with strict gun control like DC and San fransisco favor such regulations. Why should anyone who does not live there tell them they cannot make such laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies