Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times

Advertisements

To most of us, Rush Limbaugh is just another laughable, far-right, racist, drug-snorting buffoon with a radio show. But, according to an L.A. Times story, Limbaugh is now the ideological leader of the Republican Party and its ever shrinking base. President Obama has tried (maybe too hard) to help congressional Republicans save themselves from themselves. Instead, the party of Limbaugh has taken advantage of Obama's efforts at bi-partisanship and is holding education hostage in the stimulus funding debate. They are calling public education "pork" and are chopping billions of dollars from the education part of the bill

• $98 million for school nutrition
• $1 billion for Head Start/Early Start
• $600 million for Title I (No Child Left Behind)
• $16 billion for school construction

I guess only intelligent people value EDUCATION!

The only PORK are the Neocon Republican Pigs which is why they relate to "The Pig Man" Rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
If you are brain damaged and then any spending automatically becomes "pork" which is why Republicans have yet to get anything right about stimulus. In fact education pays HUGE dividends for 60 years plus as better educated people make more money and there for pay more taxes. It literally pays for itself so it is just sensible policy. Naturally Republicans are against sensible policy, they always are.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
To most of us, Rush Limbaugh is just another laughable, far-right, racist, drug-snorting buffoon with a radio show. But, according to an L.A. Times story, Limbaugh is now the ideological leader of the Republican Party and its ever shrinking base. President Obama has tried (maybe too hard) to help congressional Republicans save themselves from themselves. Instead, the party of Limbaugh has taken advantage of Obama's efforts at bi-partisanship and is holding education hostage in the stimulus funding debate. They are calling public education "pork" and are chopping billions of dollars from the education part of the bill

I guess only intelligent people value EDUCATION!

The only PORK are the Neocon Republican Pigs which is why they relate to "The Pig Man" Rush.
Come on don't you know that spending is pork. If its not tax cuts its pork. Anything that isn't advantageous to those with more is pork.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Come on don't you know that spending is pork. If its not tax cuts its pork. Anything that isn't advantageous to those with more is pork.
Just more proof positive that they want to keep the masses stupid and ignorant. Who cannot see right thru this blatant disregard, disrespect and contempt for the American people and a truly American way of life.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Just more proof positive that they want to keep the masses stupid and ignorant. Who cannot see right thru this blatant disregard, disrespect and contempt for the American people and a truly American way of life.
The real question is how do we aply the smelling salt to those that have fallen for the propoganda? They seem like if it doesn't fit what they are told by faux news or conservative talkers then it is liberal.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,515 times
I think Obama got it right when he said the problem with accusing the stimulus bill of just being a spending bill is that it kind of misses the point of a stimulus bill: It's a spending bill!

And no, education is not pork.

Off-topic, but urgent: For those who might be interested in donating, please go to Alaska forum, to thread on rural Alaska in crisis, for information on where to donate. These folks really, really, really need help. Freezing and starving go to the top of the list, in my book. And in yours, too, I'm sure. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Right wing media and politicians will call anything that isn't tax cut to the rich, fulifilling their dream: pork. They just chose the easier targets from the bill to stir things up while presenting it to the simpletons, knowing most won't have a clue what it is about. Deception at its best.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Right wing media and politicians will call anything that isn't tax cut to the rich, fulifilling their dream: pork. They just chose the easier targets from the bill to stir things up while presenting it to the simpletons, knowing most won't have a clue what it is about. Deception at its best.
So true. In Krugman's column today, he said the Republicans want TRILLIONS of dollars in tax cuts, instead. He thinks they're insane. I'm beginning to agree with him.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
Quote:
They are calling public education "pork" and are chopping billions of dollars from the education part of the bill

Isn't the Title I No Child Left Behind program the same one that George Bush was ridiculed for implementing in Texas and producing no positive results? I don't know the details, but you called it by the same name. If it was a fiasco under Bush, why would it suddenly be a worthwhile program under Obama?

I can see how buying foodstuffs from American farmers would be a good stimulus effort, but don't most schools buy cheap processed food products from overseas now? I know that the products pushed by the industrial food suppliers in my area of the country are not fresh farm products.

What is the impact on the economy from Headstart spending? I am not familiar with how that helps boost the economy aside from increasing school administrator salaries.

School construction is a good idea as it improves our infrastructure, but is it really a good choice over new roads, airports, ocean ports, railways, etc? This country needs a lot of things, but economically we need to improve our ability to compete with foreign nations in manufacturing and distribution. Spending in these areas would create the same amount of wage and construction spending and benefit us with more effective production capabilities at the same time for the same money. Isn't that a more economically sound approach?

From my perspective "pork" is any spending that does not directly correlate to the purpose of the bill, no matter how enlightened or socially worthwhile it might be. Saving spotted owls might be a great idea, but it has no place in a emergency war funding bill any more than appropriations for stem cell research have their place in a road construction funding bill. If the project is worthwhile, it can pass in a bill of it's own and does not need to hiijack another bill for survival.

I think education spending is worthwhile, but I don't see how it generates an appreciable economic impact significant enough or readily enough to resolve this serious economic situation in a timely fashion. We must dedicate these funds to those endevours that will provide the greatest effect on our current economy, not spend just to spend without consideration of our intended goals.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
So true. In Krugman's column today, he said the Republicans want TRILLIONS of dollars in tax cuts, instead. He thinks they're insane. I'm beginning to agree with him.
I have been studying Keynesians and they are the only accurate economist. No other economic theory has succeeded in a recession. Even Reagan turned Keynes when monetary theory made things worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies