Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And another question for conservatives: If you think public schools are infested with "liberal values" why don't you try to influence your public school to reflect your views--or better--make them neutral? No one's saying you can't.
I'm a libertarian of the fiscal conservative social liberal bent, but as far as parents trying to work with their schools - perhaps you didn't see my earlier response regarding parents who have tried to work with their public schools on the horrendously weak academics and flawed ideology and pedagogy, but weren't able to get anywhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Quote:
...my school district gave me an excellent, well rounded education that rivaled any private school. Liberal values were not pushed down my throat. Many of the surrounding districts provided a decent education too. While I support parental choice with their kids' education, they have the additional option of getting involved in their district to make the schools better.
If that's true, you're lucky. Things aren't so great in Illinois. The following website provides a lot of information to parents who aren't happy with their schools.

"All across Illinois parents are talking about very startling developments:
  • First graders not taught the mechanics of reading, and instead told to guess at words by their shapes
  • Second graders asked what "color" math is, and "working in groups" on "strategies" -- but not learning basic arithmetic
  • Fourth graders who have yet to be exposed to any real substance in history or geography...
  • Graduating eighth graders who can't do math without a calculator, who are unable to identify major cities, states or nations of the world on a map, and who have never heard of Copernicus, Renoir, Napoleon or Frost"
Illinois Loop: Introduction

...and information on school districts' use of the Delphi technique on parents who seek to become involved in their schools to improve the community's children's education:
Illinois Loop: School Committees

The Delphi technique (website of a Reading, MA parents group that is dissatisfied with their school district because of weak and ineffective curriculum Reading Massachusetts Education):

"The goal of the Delphi technique is to lead a targeted group of people to a predetermined outcome, while giving the illusion of taking public input and under the pretext of being accountable to the public.

The Delphi Technique is a calculated method some administrators (such as school superintendents), committees (such as a school committee or school building committee), group facilitators and special interest groups (some ballot question groups and less-than-honorable architectural firms) use to achieve "consensus." Through the use of the Delphi Technique and the promotion of an "us" vs "them" mentality among the citizens of a community, dissenting voices are identifed, marginalized and discredited and the (often hidden) agendas of various groups and controlling individuals promoted."
Delphi Technique Reading Massachusetts

There are parent groups all over the country besides Illinois Loop that are trying to improve their public schools - it either doesn't do a damn bit of good, or it is extremely difficult to effect change. Just a few examples:
NYC HOLD on Mathematics Education Reform
Mathematically Correct: California Issues
Parents for Evidence Based Education
IVBE Home Page
Education Data from Richard Innes
OSPI recommends inferior Core Plus curriculum
What do YOU have to say to the parents who are involved in their children's education, have TRIED to work with their public schools to improve the education their children are receiving, but get nowhere with that because of majorly flawed public school ideology (documented here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/7455327-post155.html ) and therefore are STILL STUCK with academically weak, ineffective public schools?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Now I know public schools have problems, and there needs to be reform, but why are so many conservatives wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater?
It's not just conservatives who have problems but the reason is simple.

My 2008 tax rates:

Independent School District = $1.37 per $100 appraisal
Farm to Market Road = $0.105 per $100 appraisal
Hospital District = $0.40 per $100 appraisal
Water District = $0.00794 per $100 appraisal
City = $0.7573 per $100 appraisal
County = $0.6255 per $100 appraisal

Old 02-14-2009, 09:44 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,996,527 times
Quote:
Now I'm not talking about all Republicans. But ever since I got my teaching degree, I noticed that conservatives, in general have a much more hostile attitude toward public ed. than liberals. My Democrat friends have always encouraged me in my career choice, while some conservative friends act like "well...whatever floats your boat man...". One friend even tried to get me to switch careers because public schools were so "anti-God". I got the impression that you can't be a true conservative and agree with universal public education. I really believe that what I'm doing is very beneficial to society.

Now I know public schools have problems, and there needs to be reform, but why are so many conservatives wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Look at the region which is their power base: the states of the old Confederacy. Those states are again seeking to keep from educating black pupils by abandoning their public ed systems.

Thats why vouchers, to lilly-white private schools, are an integral part of the conservative agenda.

Last edited by Geechie North; 02-14-2009 at 09:52 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
When I spend money on something, I like it to be spent on something that works. Public education does not work in a lot of places because some children do not go to school to learn and disrupt the class so no one can learn. If public education is to work, discipline needs to be restored to the schools and the troublemakers should be removed from the classroom. The sooner this can happen the better; time is running out for our nation.

As for parental involvement, the school has to accept it before you can give it. Our church is doing the best for our members; we just bought a private school and are keeping the costs down with volunteers, etc. If our children's education is to be saved, our churches will have to do the job. Things they are taught in public education are not acceptable.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
.. I believe very strongly that parents being involved in schools at the local level has a huge impact. Rather than whine about how bad it is.. DO SOMETHING about it!
I've already explained how parent involvement is futile in FAR too many public school systems (see my post above, Why do Republicans/Conservatives hate Public Education so much? ).

Quote:
IMO it's the rich peoples way of isolating themselves and further pushing those less fortunate as they down.
I hope you realize that what you just said cuts across ALL party lines. Democrats/liberals send their kids to private schools, too. Why? ...to get a better education. Why don't ALL kids have the opportunity to learn to the best of their ability?

The nationwide dissatisfaction with our country's public school system ISN'T a democrat/liberal vs. republican/conservative political/moral values dispute - it's class warfare in which democrats/liberals want to restrict choice and republicans/conservatives want to open up choice and a chance at a better education for everyone, purposely including the low- and middle-income segments of society.

Now ask yourselves why democrats/liberals are so heavily invested in keeping an underclass.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Look at the region which is their power base: the states of the old Confedracy. Those states are again seeking to keep from educating black pupils by abandoning their public ed systems.

Thats why vouchers, to lilly-white private schools, are an integral part of the conservative agenda.
Lol! Now that's got to be the most ridiculous comment I've seen this morning on C-D.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When I spend money on something, I like it to be spent on something that works.
Oddly C-D would not allow me to add to you reputation but I would say "bingo" to your statement.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Only problem is it happens to be true.

We know how to make education work- pay for it in the form of high taxes; provide decent jobs at decent wages so that students have decent resources to come to get said education with.
Look at where the public education system does work, and you'll see those factors are in place.

But that is against the southern ethos which has always been against educatiing the masses. Tell you what, look up when the Southern States began their public ed systems (vs when they were settled) and when it happened in the North.

Last edited by Geechie North; 02-14-2009 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Only problem is it happens to be true.

We know how to make education work- pay for it in the form of high taxes; provide decent jobs at decent wages so that students have decent resources to come to get said education with.
Look at where the public education system does work, and you'll see those factors are in place.

But that is against the southern ethos which has always been against educatiing the masses. Tell you what, look up when the Southern States began their public ed systems (vs when they were setteled) and when it happened in the North.
As a Southerner, I have no innate desire to keep the masses uneducated. I ask you to read my previous post of my 2008 tax rates.

I repeat that your reasoning is ridiculous and add that your "truth" is easily perceived as narrow-minded prejudice of an entire national region.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 AM

I am also from the South.

I know the region very well.

Again, there is considerable literature on this subject. So it's not just 'my" truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies