Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,839,210 times

Advertisements

Hate public education? I tend to hate things that don't work and trillions have been thrown at it as well as new regulations and such.. guess what? They STILL don't work.... I hate to keep throwing trillions of dollars at a solution that DOES NOT work... its time for a new strategy but unfortunately nobody got the balls to do it right... oh well.... but then you get leftist ideology that says "Continue the course, even if its been ending in failure.".... I don't get them sometimes...

Old 02-15-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, let me get this straight. You're basing your argument that public and private schools teach the same curriculum on the experience of people who live on one residential block, and extrapolating that to the rest of the country?
Don't you like anecdotal evidence? I hear EinsteinsGhost is a big fan of it...

Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,239,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How do you explain the achievement gains noted by the Harvard political scientist and others?
Public v Private? I wonder the ratio of kids going on to college.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:06 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,450,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Hate public education? I tend to hate things that don't work and trillions have been thrown at it as well as new regulations and such.. guess what? They STILL don't work.... I hate to keep throwing trillions of dollars at a solution that DOES NOT work... its time for a new strategy but unfortunately nobody got the balls to do it right... oh well.... but then you get leftist ideology that says "Continue the course, even if its been ending in failure.".... I don't get them sometimes...
A new strategy is necessary. Throwing more money will not help. The key is redirecting the money....I still do not feel in any way that the money should be redirected to private schools.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
A new strategy is necessary. Throwing more money will not help. The key is redirecting the money....I still do not feel in any way that the money should be redirected to private schools.
I offered a solution to the problem already... and its a win-win solution... schools win and education wins... and best of all taxpayers and parents win...

Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,016,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
So basically if a school's curriculum is not meeting parents expectations they need to take that up on a state level.. period. Has nothing to do with the Federal government nor the fact that it is private vs. public.

So the parents in Illinois need to go to their state and lobby for a revised curriculum..as to all those in other states that are not satisfied with the curriculum. AND if the state has a minimum curriculum but on a local level want to exceed that minimum then that should be taken up on a local level.
100% accurate. Don't fall for the excuse that it is a federal mandate. The only reason Federal Accountability levels came in to play was because so many schools were failing. Standards for the most part are a floor not a ceiling and districts and states can exceed minimum expectations. You may as well lobby for what you believe to be important, your neighbors are. Just be aware of the cost associated with developing curriculum in house as opposed to purchasing curriculum already developed. Affluent suburban districts and larger districts are more able to develop their own.

Last edited by TuborgP; 02-15-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 AM

Remember also that many industrialized nations only practice universal public eduction until age 16 or approx 10th grade. After that it is for those students who have excelled in their first 10 years and met certain bench markets for continued public education.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Public schools are the largest single component of state and local budgets. They are the beneficiaries of increases in good times and as a consequence can't avoid being the focal point of cost containment in difficult times. On average 60% of taxpayers don't have kids in public school/school age children and that makes their stake in public education questionable at best for local government. It is impossible in this economy for state and local government to cut their budgets without impacting education.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Most States Are Cutting Education
Education is by far the largest component of state budgets. Some 46 percent of all state general fund expenditures is devoted to elementary, secondary, and higher education.

Nearly all states are required to balance their general fund budgets. When large budget deficits develop, education often is cut deeply.
The above is from the link.

This is not a Republican/Democratic issue as much as it is a liberal/conservative issue in the area of fiscal policy. A Democratic fiscal conservative and Republican fiscal conservative are more likely to be in agreement on this topic. If you believe in the minimization of state and local taxes then it is impossible to be a strong advocate of continued increases in education expenditures. It is just to much of the pie to ignore. If you want to advocate in this environment for the continued expansion of education programs how do you finance them at the state and in most cases local leve?

The link gives a breakdown of state by state budget cuts or possible cuts in education.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Remember also that many industrialized nations only practice universal public eduction until age 16 or approx 10th grade. After that it is for those students who have excelled in their first 10 years and met certain bench markets for continued public education.
In Germany, at least, most students attend school until age 18 or 19 when they graduate from Gymnasium (academically rigorous high school) or vocational school.

Students are not 'zoned' to any particular school in a community, and in more populated areas they may choose the school that offers the curriculum they wish to study. Most schools are state-run, but schools run by a church also receive public funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.