Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There is more evidence to tie the unions to the organiozed crime than than wal-mart to the evil capitalist that people imagine.

Hell, Wal-Mart IS organized crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
H***, yes! Many businesses do this! How do you think WM could get anyone to work there if they were the only one who had such policies?
This is true. I'm a moron. You just never hear about these other companies...at least I don't. Wait...I've been known to shop at Target, just because I hate the evil Wal-mart....are they on the same gross level as Wal-mart do you know? I mean in terms of the whole benefits & only allowing part-time work.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
CHARLES PLATT GOES UNDERCOVER AT WAL-MART - New York Post

I think he is absolutely right - Walmart is providing jobs and stimulus to the economy. This company is vital to the working poor, both in terms of where they shop and where they work.
Funny, the "working poor" are not only are employed at WallyWorld, they are also this country's largest employer. A stepping stone for the middle class? Of course not. Wallyworld is smart enough to know the average sheep is only worried about the lowest price, and its been proven to be true. Wallyworlds "Always Low Prices" have a hidden cost. Check out what they did to American jobs at Rubbermaid. Wal-Mart is evil and ruthless. I havent set foot in one for many years. Proudly, I might add. If every state were as smart as Vermont this scourge would be limited in its range. As it is they drive others out of business, family stores and locally owned businesses.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM

208 posts, read 605,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You think that policy is unique to Wal Mart? My friend's son worked for Best Buy, they did the same thing, right up to the 39 hours.
True...also, it's pretty common in other retail stores, eating and drinking establishments, and hotels.

I've worked in all three industries too. Generally pay is low (traditionally pay is low in the service sector) and the hours aren't that great. But with those types of jobs, that is expected. That's why I finished my accounting degree quickly.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
True...also, it's pretty common in other retail stores, eating and drinking establishments, and hotels.

I've worked in all three industries too. Generally pay is low (traditionally pay is low in the service sector) and the hours aren't that great. But with those types of jobs, that is expected. That's why I finished my accounting degree quickly.
That's good that you got your degree. Although I've never worked in a restaurant/bar, it seems that the tips more than make up for the hourly wage. I've heard many people tell me about what they make at a bar in one night & I'm like DANG! I need to be a bartender!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,121 times
After reading all the above posts, my question is, if working for Walmart is so bad, why do so many people continue to work for walmart?
I'm assuming over a million Americans are not masochists.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM

208 posts, read 605,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's good that you got your degree. Although I've never worked in a restaurant/bar, it seems that the tips more than make up for the hourly wage. I've heard many people tell me about what they make at a bar in one night & I'm like DANG! I need to be a bartender!
I worked at a pretty nice hotel in room service some years ago and did ok money-wise (minimum wage+tips). Some nights were better than others. I didn't like the hours though, and had to work virtually every weekend. The benefits weren't great either. I filled in as a server at the restaurant from time to time and actually made more tips in room service.

Yeah, you are right, some servers at restaurants/bars make pretty good money though. It just seems like it can be very tiring to me and dealing with the public all day can be frustrating. But some are great at it and make a decent living.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
I worked at a pretty nice hotel in room service some years ago and did ok money-wise (minimum wage+tips). Some nights were better than others. I didn't like the hours though, and had to work virtually every weekend. The benefits weren't great either. I filled in as a server at the restaurant from time to time and actually made more tips in room service.

Yeah, you are right, some servers at restaurants/bars make pretty good money though. It just seems like it can be very tiring to me and dealing with the public all day can be frustrating. But some are great at it and make a decent living.
Dealing w/the public is the WORST job in the world. I used to work retail & I used to work at a hotel, it was not fun to say the least. But hey, if someone is good at it & can make a living & not get drained, then more power to them. Personally, I don't think I could do that ever again. Yet, one of my dreams is to open a bar

Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
CHARLES PLATT GOES UNDERCOVER AT WAL-MART - New York Post

I think he is absolutely right - Walmart is providing jobs and stimulus to the economy. This company is vital to the working poor, both in terms of where they shop and where they work.

These are the people with little to no education and skills, who are provided an opportunity of a good job, and if they have a mind to apply themselves can work their way up the ladder to even better jobs.

Why is this staple of the American economy so villified by the Left?

Ah, here we come to the reason for the smear campaign.
Here's why Wal-Mart is bad for the economy, and bad for the country:

Wal-Mart is the largest company in the world. 7.5 cents of every consumer dollar spent in the U.S. goes to Wal-Mart. Nobody can sell at lower prices than Wal-Mart. But there is a HUGE price to pay for their success:

1) They have a noose around the neck of product suppliers. Because Wal-Mart is so huge, suppliers need to contract with them. But Wal-Mart calls all the shots. Businesses have gone bankrupt because of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart has a habit of demanding lower prices from its suppliers every year. The suppliers try to comply, but increasingly fail. In one case, a supplier asked for a 5% price increase from the year before. Wal-Mart said No, we want a 5% price decrease. Bring us another number. The supplier reworked the numbers and then asked for a 2% increase. Wal-Mart replied that they would go with a Chinese supplier, instead. The American supplier was dropped. This is an increasingly common scenario with Wal-Mart, so much so that it has drive suppliers--to stay in business--to outsource their own manufacturing. When Chinese workers are paid only 20 cents/hour, how can American workers compete with that? This is precisely what happened with Levi Strauss, which closed all its American factories: 2500 Americans lost their jobs. Wal-Mart is a big player in decreasing job security for American workers.

2) Wal-Mart doesn't offer health insurance to the majority of its workers. In turn, health insurance rates increase for everybody because, increasingly, American families have no health care. Remember: Wal-Mart is the biggest company in the world.

3) To compete with Wal-Mart, other major supermarket and low-end retail stores are cutting back on labor costs. Just to stay in business.

In effect, Wal-Mart is forcing a reduction in the standard of living for workers and is driving other businesses out of business. Wal-Mart is Orwellian. It is absolutely absurd that one company should have this level of leverage power over American workers and American business. It's a form of "rogue capitalism" that is destroying the American economy. We saw this with the Carnegies in the last century. It's the reason that laws against monopolies had to be passed. Too many lives were being destroyed. And then: Reagan. And then: Bush.

If people want to shop at Wal-Mart, they should know the real costs of those super-low prices: outsourced jobs and a monolithic stranglehold over American business and American lives.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ha, I'm a contract employee that makes 6 figures because my talent says I'm worth it. You couldn't do my job but I'm pretty sure I could do yours can stacker.
The cost of living is the same for everybody. Furthermore, can-stackers, maintenance people, and garbage collectors should be making more than just about everybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies