Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times

Advertisements

To those who support the stimulus plan, I have an honest question - I'm not sure if the president has said anything about this, but how are we going to pay the stimulus money (not only the 800 billion, but the trillions we are borrowing to bail out the banks) back to the nations that we are borrowing it from - China, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
That is the biggest concern in the financial market today. If you were the average Chinese investor with a few billion dollars, would you want to invest in US treasuries paying less than 1%? No! In order to fund this debt (including Bush's), rates will have to rise. At that point, all hell will break loose. Expect rising rates and inflation in the next few years. The guys in DC know this...they just don't want you to know they know. They are still trying to figure out how to keep Larry-Liar-Loan in his house without collapsing the market further.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
That is the biggest concern in the financial market today. If you were the average Chinese investor with a few billion dollars, would you want to invest in US treasuries paying less than 1%? No! In order to fund this debt (including Bush's), rates will have to rise. At that point, all hell will break loose. Expect rising rates and inflation in the next few years. The guys in DC know this...they just don't want you to know they know. They are still trying to figure out how to keep Larry-Liar-Loan in his house without collapsing the market further.
Yeah, that's why I really am puzzled that no one in the media has asked this question. They can raise taxes on the rich all they want, and it won't make a dent in this debt. I am genuinely interested in the point of view on this issue from those that support the stimulus.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Investment returns (yes some of this and other bailouts is a direct investment with returns expected)

Future tax increases (though nothing world-changing as some would suggest)

Inflation (not horrible inflation, but not slight inflation either)

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but that is how I see it. It's better than the alternative, however. Being someone with little cash savings and being someone who will be taking out a fixed mortgage soon - I cannot complain much about inflation as it could possibly help my type, as long as I have a job when it eventually hits. Feel bad for the baby-boomers though.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Well maybe we can sell Hawaii.I'd say Alaska but it is more strategic.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well maybe we can sell Hawaii.I'd say Alaska but it is more strategic.
I'd be down for selling California, and I'm a semi-lefty.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
How are we going to pay the Civil War debt back? We haven't gotten around to doing that yet either. Meanwhile, the yields on US Treasury securities are currently as low as they are specifically because so many people want to hold them, including the Chinese. Don't forget that the US is China's customer of last resort. They make everything they can, then we buy everything that no one else does. China needs growth rates of 8-9% in order to continue adding to its middle class while keeping the lower classes from revolting. The very last thing they want is for the US economy to collapse. Without us and our ability to consume all their stuff, they are flat out sunk.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
To those who support the stimulus plan, I have an honest question - I'm not sure if the president has said anything about this, but how are we going to pay the stimulus money (not only the 800 billion, but the trillions we are borrowing to bail out the banks) back to the nations that we are borrowing it from - China, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, etc?
Honest answer- we ain't gonna pay it back! What we will do is just keep trading old paper for new paper (treasuries) until inflation eats it most of the debt up.
But if the Chinese are stupid enough to keep buying worthless paper, we are smart enough to keep selling it to them.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Yeah, that's why I really am puzzled that no one in the media has asked this question. They can raise taxes on the rich all they want, and it won't make a dent in this debt. I am genuinely interested in the point of view on this issue from those that support the stimulus.
If the bush tax cuts cost $1.6 trillion through 2008 (which we borrowed money to pay for) ... isn't it reasonable to assume that repealing those taxes would generate a like number in tax revenue over a similar period ($200 billion / year is a big chunk)?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
No we aren't gonna pay it back.America at some point will be like the homeowners who just said frack it,I'm not paying the mortgage anymore go ahead repo the house.

I wasn't kidding about Hawaii.Land we have,we don't have much else left.Our industry is long gone.We have food and land that's about it.We'll probably be selling the U.S.S Bush and U.S.S Obama aircraft carriers to the highest bidder at some point,if they aren't used in a world war first.

About the only thing I can think of that is still quality American made is guitars and amps,guns,music and movies and the music and movies are questionable sometimes...

When the masses decide it isn't worth going to work when the government takes 60 or 70% of their paycheck and there isn't the money to cover the healthcare,welfare,Social security and medicare and whatever else there is and people decide F it,I'm not working just to support those anymore well then all I can say by then I'll be like Snake Pliskin and just smoke a cig and take a sip of whisky and watch the world go dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies