Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Aint it funny how life is.....those like me who do not fall into your categorization above are the "weirdos"; and the potheads mumbling incoherently, damaging themselves physically, emotionally, becoming a drain on their families and society in lost man-hours and wasted dreams - these and their sympathizers are the sane majority!! Wow, what a conclusion.

Hopefully your theory is inaccurate.
Miles, I never meant to imply,nor do I feel that anyone who doesn't agree with me on something is a "weirdo." I don't know how you took what I said to imply that and I am sorry that is how you interpreted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:41 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riv View Post
No, that junk destroys brain cells and reduces reaction time so it's both dangerous to the mind and dangerous while driving or even crossing a street.
Wrong

Old 02-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
disagree.
wrong

Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Good Day NooYowkur, my fellow poster. The reason I'v been mono-syllabic on this thread so far isn't because I'm listening to one of my favorite artistes, Rita Marley, sing her enchanting "One Draw," or because I'm hanging listlessly in Central Park, mumbling to myself, indolently waiting for the reefer man to show up and make my day.

Nah, it's because the OP used to be a good friend of mine and I still like her. Plus so many of my colleagues like you and justfarr are advocating something that I don't feel, however well-intentioned you are, will solve the problem of reefer use.

Sure, weed isn't as bad as crack or LSD, but it has ben proven to damage brain cells, create inertia, listlessness, affect one's attention span and focus, make one less productive in society.....and worse yet, can eventually lead to heavier drug use. We need to be telling our kids to stay away from these harmful drugs not that we should legalize them.

By extension of the logic presented on the board today, if we decriminalize drunk driving the problem of road fatalities, broken limbs, devastated homes, destroyed lives will be solved. Yeah, we can't stop something by laws against it....so what do we do? We make the abhorrent act legal, and bingo, problem is solved....it goes up in a puff of smoke - pardon the pun.

How can we prove that DUI laws don't help anyone because DUI crimes still continue? How can we prove that marijuana/other drug laws don't help anyone because the problem still persists? I don't know how to prove a negative but my common sense tells me that a whole lot of people out there are thankful for laws to protect them against the demoralization caused by drugs and the lost lives and promising futures derailed - whether via drunk driving or illicit drug use.
No sources for any of that eh?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Is it a menace to society if a stoned driver isn't able to hit the brakes fast enough?
source? proof?

Quote:
Well the point is that you can't have that cannibis in your system and then get behind the wheel of a car. The stuff stays in your system for several days and slows your reflexes up.
this shows you know nothing about marijuana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
If it is legalized you may see people outside blowing it in your face. Imagine the teens, and the adults out in the park at lunch time, inhaling away. The subway ride after work with teens getting out from school will be even more fun. I can't wait.
Ever heard of laws against public intoxication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
Legalizing it would be a terrible idea. Alcohol is legal and how many people get killed by drunk drivers everyday in this country?? Even more people would be killed by those under the influence of this drug. People who want it legalized are regular smokers or people who have not thought things through.
Alcohol is legal and has been for decades. Has the consumption dropped? No, it has not. But people all over this country will be killed by drunk drivers this weekend. That is a fact. If you add pot you will have more murders on the highway. Legalizing it will increase availability and usage. It is a horrible idea.
Sources? Proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZENC View Post
That's why people are scared to legalized weed because they think it will have a domino effect on other drugs. It will be stupid to legalize all drugs just for the simple fact of you thinking you might save money on enforcement. Also you can OD on all the other drugs except weed. Last time I checked you can't OD off of alcohol and cigarettes.
You're dead wrong.

Quote:
I wonder if we decriminalize rape whether rapes will decrease? How about if we kill any kind of prohibition that creates a blackmarket, maybe that will be the way to go, no? Yeah, let's no longer have laws against anything that creates a blackmarket, let's allow everyone to walk around and do anything they wish as all the laws against anything society collectively deems harmful don't seem to stop the proscribed acts.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:55 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee1bajan2 View Post
I dont think ALL drugs should be legal. I do not believe in the use of drugs but I have worked in the court house and have seen so many man hours wasted on cases regarding "weed". We got bigger issues I guess. But my man is an ex weed smoker and good God sometimes he just dumbs out.
god created weed it's pure and natural strait from the bush to the pipe ....the world would be a lot beter off if people did not drink alcohol and only smoked weed... damn it's a win win solution.. just legallize it and stop this ridiculous loosing war against gods burning bush.... look at bob marly he smoked weed and he was one of the most ceative musicians that ever lived... he preached love and happiness to the masses and was a true legend to be remembered

Old 02-14-2009, 01:43 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

YouTube - Peter Tosh - Legalize it live

Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Legalizing marijuana will be great for the economy i mean its already thew largest cash crop in California and its ILLEGAL imagine the money if it was LEGAL......Bottom Line legalize weed a majority of the people who smoke it are responsible americans just looking to relax
Responsible people don't use that junk in the first place.

Better to "relax" by doing something healthy, like going for a bike ride, or joining in a basketball game or volleyball.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Legalize it and tax everyone who sells it. This could fund our stimulus plan. The money will flow smoothly to hard working Americans from all the lazy thugs on welfare who drive Range Rovers and Escalades while living in subsidized housing. Save further money by reducing the money spent on the war on drugs.

Time to bring back the middle class. Get the barbecue grills out and block party like its 1992.

Ron Paul 2012

Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Legalize methamphetamine and make sure the drug addicts have an unlimited supply of it. That will solve many societal problems.
I don't think it's a good idea to legalize methamphetamine (or crack) as the effects of the drug cause damage, not just its illegality. I'd support legalizing heroin before I'd support legalizing meth just because junkies who can regularly get their fix are docile (as opposed to when they can't) whereas the effects of meth itself generate violence and would even if it was legal. One can't compare meth to weed - any problems caused by marijuana are exclusively caused by its illegality. However when pharmaceutical methamphetamine was legal by prescription in the 1950s and most of the 1960s (before LBJ introduced the earliest stages of what would become the War on Drugs) and when doctors freely wrote those prescriptions (e.g. the Beatles' song "Dr. Robert" is a paean to one such doctor) there certainly were fewer problems. Having observed the effects of meth, though, and continuing to observe its effects, I'd be wary of legalizing it (or any other hard upper drug). OTOH purely punitive based solutions don't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies