Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 04:25 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Perversion of Justice

I saw this film Sunday and was pretty shocked.

Perversion of Justice - a film by Rev. Melissa Mummert

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
Thank you for sending this along for posting. I suppose I should be shocked but I am not, sadly enough. As a victim of violent crime, what I found terribly disheartening, was how the system failed me. I understand that there are laws which we must abide by; many make sense, some do not. I also understand that some things are truly black and white however, many many shades of gray fall in between.

I know there are times that the system does work, and rightfully; and I also understand that sometimes there is such public outcry about a case, situation, that the pressure on law enforcement, prosectutors and judges is such that they do in fact do everything by the 'chart' and that include unfortunately, those who have no records, have not been in trouble, ever.

I also understand, as I was certainly one of them, that believed completely in the system, sort of the Law and Order/Perry Mason kinda thing. As such, I personally put on my faith in that very system which did not work. I know that I am probably still and will continue to reel with my situation, not only because nothing happened to my offender but because the system, and I hate to use this term, victimized me again.

I think this particular woman, sure, she knew what was going on, sure might have done a couple of things that were not completely legal, perhaps a little of the gray, however, to give her a life sentence because of 'charting' and thus, quite possibly, repeating another situation where her children do not have all the guidance they may need....it is one of those vicious cycles that somehow must stop.

Clearly, I do not have all the answers, I probably have a .01% answer/solution to how the system could be changed. However, what I feel is very important for everyone to do is to learn about legislation in their states, go on their legislative sites and read the bills and what is being piggybacked on some of these potential laws. And, when there are public hearings over these bills, attend them. Speak up. Sometimes laws just have to make sense. I have learned, as I have become a strong advocate on behalf of victims in my state, that the majority of the time, legislation is presented as a reaction to something, not as a pro-active position. This, I believe, can create serious problems because a bill is not throroughly researched; not even questions asked and not enough... "what if's"...one of the big debates with minmum-maximum sentencing laws...Jessica's Law as an example.

Another aspect of this conversation is how many people, I have learned, have no idea, which can be a good thing what is involved in a prosecution...victims' right...sentencing laws, plea bargaining and thus, make assumptions which are not necessarily constructive.

I would hope, in this particular case, somehow, the life sentence can be set aside; she pays a price in some way for perhaps misguided loyalty, or for stopping at Western Union more than once to wire funds. Consequences for that, perhaps so, life in prison, I think that might be a little over the top.

My friend's mom was murdered; after a long period of time with pre-trial motions, continuances, etc. what was supposed to have been a trial turned into a plea bargain. The woman who murdered her mom, and it was premeditated, was sentenced to 15-life. She had been incarcerated for 3 years before the trial/plea agreement. With the 'good time served' law, she ended up serving 8 years and has been released. So, for murdering a woman, 8 years and wiring money with Western Union, life sentence. Not quite sure I can understand the rationale behind the sentences for these two crimes.

And, interestingly enough, regarding the offender in the murder case, she has a list of conditions of release, she has already violated a few of those conditions and although there is a 48 state warrant out for her arrest, the likelihood of finding her is slim...and with the promise that she does get caught, she will have to serve her full time, maybe. Clearly, to me, a person who murders is a bit more of a risk to let out of prison than the woman in this documentary.

For whatever this is worth....
Thanks for letting me vent!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM

9 posts, read 25,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post

YouTube - Perversion of Justice

I saw this film Sunday and was pretty shocked.

Perversion of Justice - a film by Rev. Melissa Mummert

Comments?

I think it's sad when you see a situation like this one but the sick truth of it is that this system was made of the people, by the people, and for the people! when in reality it should read: but not for ALL people! It really sickens me when a child molestor can get 4 months probation, here in indiana, and someone who is caught merely driving with no license trying to get back and forth to work recieves a 20 year sentence! This womans case- sad as it may sound -does not surprise me at all. My heart does go out to her and her family especially her little ones. In a more perfect world the person dealing the drugs and the person who abused her causing her to seek shelter elsewhere should have recieved the life sentence with no chance of parole! You cant make a more sound family structure or " quick fix" especially in african american family's by seperating them and essentially punishing the children by sending them to completly different homes. Speaking as an african american male it seems like we as a people we are doomed to forever be oppressed by the SYSTEM amongst other things. I have worked hard all of my life and not once have I ever sold drugs for any reason. I have four little ones and a wife whom i love entirely to much to jeopardize losing or ruining their lives with such an stupid act. The relative should have been smart enough to tell her what he was doing so she could make the right choice before allowing her to move in with them then if she still chose to move in all responsibility falls solely on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies