Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this recession worse than the 70s & 80s recessions?
Worse 54 63.53%
Better 26 30.59%
About the same 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times

Advertisements

I would go with worse, but only on some counts(the gas lines in the 70's= horrible). I was young, but not in diapers. Back then my savings was earning something like 8%, I think. Now so many are hoping that retirement accounts don't lose 8%.. I can't imagine how good the rates on those used to be (my paper route didn't have a 401K).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 AM

285 posts, read 927,595 times
I don't think that this a recession anymore...I believe that this now a depression. This recession has been running for a couple years already with not even a hint that the economy is on rising or hedging upword.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
So far its nothing compared tot eh 70's but it has the potential to be worse. Especially debt incurred by government effecting future years.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:52 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Everything stinks.

What don't you have? Even folks on welfare have cable TV.

Find a job, there are jobs out there. Even gas is cheap.

This is not a depression -- unless you want it to be.

Get outside and do something. You might find value in that. You might meet new people, make new friends and realize new opportunities that you may never have had if you decided to sit on the couch all day, and complain about the depression.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
So far not yet. We're only beginning to see the unemployment rates rise, but not yet to the level they were in the 1970's.

People here seem to think if they can't buy a new $600 Nintendo Wii player ever year that times are very tough. Or their middle school age kid can't have an iPhone and instead has to make do with unlimited text messages on a plain camera cell phone so things are getting tight.

We're not even close. People have internet service, the latest computer with all the options to complain about how bad things are. They haven't seen bad.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Everything stinks.

Get outside and do something. You might find value in that. You might meet new people, make new friends and realize new opportunities that you may never have had if you decided to sit on the couch all day, and complain about the depression.
The malls and Walmarts here are packed full with shoppers.

People today have no idea what hard times are. My grandfather told me that back in the depression, it wasn't a matter of what you were going to buy, there was nothing to buy.

We've got welfare recipients out right now choosing what size big screen television they'll buy next. Like you said welfare recipients have cable television and internet service. They have cell phones, and new clothes.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:33 AM

138 posts, read 369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So far not yet. We're only beginning to see the unemployment rates rise, but not yet to the level they were in the 1970's.

People here seem to think if they can't buy a new $600 Nintendo Wii player ever year that times are very tough. Or their middle school age kid can't have an iPhone and instead has to make do with unlimited text messages on a plain camera cell phone so things are getting tight.

We're not even close. People have internet service, the latest computer with all the options to complain about how bad things are. They haven't seen bad.
I agree. I believe this is because the dominant generation today (those born between 1982 and 1995) have never lived through a real recession, and Generation X was still in school when the last big one hit. Unlike most of my generation who are oblivious to anything before they were born, I know my history very well. The 1991 and 2001 "recessions" were jokes from a historical perspective. Even the Nixon and Carter recessions were mild compared to the Great Depression. When Obama says this is the "worst economy since the Great Depression" he is playing on fear.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
I agree. I believe this is because the dominant generation today (those born between 1982 and 1995) have never lived through a real recession, and Generation X was still in school when the last big one hit. Unlike most of my generation who are oblivious to anything before they were born, I know my history very well. The 1991 and 2001 "recessions" were jokes from a historical perspective. Even the Nixon and Carter recessions were mild compared to the Great Depression. When Obama says this is the "worst economy since the Great Depression" he is playing on fear.

Yes, I believe Obama is trying to stoke the fires, cause people watching him on their big screen televisions to believe it's time to panic.

Unemployment is creeping up to about 6%, there were times in the Great Depression where it was 30%. That was back when many more families relied on just one income, today, one spouse could be making $100,000 and the other is laid off and counts as unemployed.

There are no soup lines, people today can collect unemployment until it runs out, then they can apply for welfare or disability, food stamps, Medicaid. That wasn't the case in the 1930s.

I have not heard of anyone starting a backyard garden from any necessity, it's still a hobby for those who enjoy it, no one feels a real need to garden and that was quite common in the 1930s.

In the 1930s, people wore coats that were so worn and bare, they would insert newspaper or cardboard to stay warm. They would put cardboard in the soles of their shoes which had holes. Their children even wore hand-me-downs -- gasp!!

Kids didn't have $500 game players on their Christmas lists, they were happy to get a hand-carved toy, a single doll, even oranges at Christmas were considered a treat.

It's almost funny to hear people still living high-on-the-hog complain about how tough times are because they really don't know what tough times mean.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
In your opinion is this current recession worse, better or about the same as the recession of the 70s and 80s?

Why This Recession Seems Worse Than '70s and '80s - Real Estate * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

I don't think we are as bad off as we were then, but if things don't improve, and sooner rather than later, then that might change.

What do you think?
I wonder how many people responding were working adults during the 70's recession. Those of us who were are probably in a different stage of life right now anyway.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Everything stinks.

Have you been looking through the posted jobs? There isn't much out there with the exception of fast food unless the previous poster has a bachelor's and then the competition would be stiff. It was big news locally that an amusement park was having a job fair and I live in a fairly hevily populated area. I work in HR recruting at a 3,000 person facility and we do not have anything posted externally or internally. With the number of people in the unemployment lines, I think it was a tad insensitive to say... go get a job..my company is cutting 7,000 out of 180,000 nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies