Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:16 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
It's still 21 months until the 2010 election and Americans aren't known for their long memories but if Republicans keep up their obstructionism then every person in America will have a daily reminder of the mess they caused and how they're refusing to take action.
Agreed.

And for people who might ordinarily agree with and support Republican members of Congress, hopefully they will realize and remember that every last House Republican, and most Senate Republicans, voted against the biggest tax cut EVER. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 AM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times
I much preferred my republican president's Bush $1200 check last summer to bo's buck or two extra in my paycheck. So where is the money bo promised to working families. As usual, the dems always have spending your money on their mind on useless, pet projects. I didn't agree with any of the bailouts and I am proud of the few courageous republicans that held on to values of fiscal responsibility. The dems and moderate republicans will disappear when our country has a financial meltdown from all this stupidity. That is when the majority will realize you can't run your household let alone the government in the red forever. The federal government should have a balaced budget admendment in place to protect the taxpayers.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:25 AM

112 posts, read 172,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Americans blames the Republicans far more than Democrats for the economic disaster that Dubya has left us...

And they (Republicans in Congress) have the absolute gall to grandstand and fight the Economic Stimulus Plan and not lift a finger to fix the problem they caused.

They are committing party suicide - and betting that their opposition will help Obama fail - and remember - he's only trying to fix the mess the Bush Republicans left for him. They want Obama - and the country - to fail because they only care about being re-elected - and feel their chances of regaining the majority are improved if Obama and the nation fail... such is the sickness of their political calculus.

Well, their political strategy is going to explode in their faces.

The country knows that they could care less about the average American, blacks, hispanics or the poor and middle class...

We are going to succeed in spite of this pathetic lot of obstructionists...

And then we are going to sweep them out of office to such an extent in 2010 that the defeats they suffered in 2006 and 2008 will look mild by comparison.

There are plenty of smart people who will tell you that this mess was in progress way before Bush took over....face it.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Come election day in 2010 voters will look in their wallets and then go vote. You know, am I better off today than I was January 19, 2009? When's that hand out gonna clear the bank?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM

773 posts, read 1,214,893 times
I believe that the Republicans in congress voted no based on the strategy that if the economy continues downhill, they will be able to gain disaffected voters.
We live in an age where more people want results now, and can be fickle in support of politicians who for many reasons are unable to comply with pie in the sky promises.
I think it is very possible that this strategy could work for them. They will blame the democrats for not fixing the economy.
A lot will depend on whether the various stimulus options in infrastructure will work and whether congress can perform the balancing act between revenue and expenditures.
Either way is fraught with taxation revolt or a devalued dollar.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
I believe that the Republicans in congress voted no based on the strategy that if the economy continues downhill, they will be able to gain disaffected voters.
We live in an age where more people want results now, and can be fickle in support of politicians who for many reasons are unable to comply with pie in the sky promises.
I think it is very possible that this strategy could work for them. They will blame the democrats for not fixing the economy.
A lot will depend on whether the various stimulus options in infrastructure will work and whether congress can perform the balancing act between revenue and expenditures.
Either way is fraught with taxation revolt or a devalued dollar.
Agreed. The Republicans who are using this economic meltdown for political gain should be exposed--by the conservatives, not the liberals. After all, there are some Republicans who are honorable.

On another note: I'd like to thank you for posting the info on Real News Network. Great site.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Has anyone discussed the opening scene to SNL last night and the Republican strategy session?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i thought a principle part of the manly man was admitted our mistakes and changing direction.
marlboro men acting in strange ways.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KySS View Post
There are plenty of smart people who will tell you that this mess was in progress way before Bush took over....face it.

To be fair - yes, there were problems with easy credit and unregulated derivative markets before Bush came in...

But Bush closed the door on regulation of subprime, and financial instruments, and almost all aspects of finance and business. He was blindly against business regulation of ANY sort, and made sure his agency heads ignored problems that were brewing in the economy and on Wall Street.

He was fully aware of the storm clouds that gathered - he just made sure his elite backers benefited - and counted on the entire situation blowing sky- high after he left office.

So - Yes - problems were building before he took office.

However, it is very fair to say that he was a super-enabler of the problem and was hugely influential to the extent of the damage that was done...

Face it...

Old 02-15-2009, 01:09 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
By all but three Republicans voting against the stimulus package, they are basically banking on (pardon the pun...) the economy still being a mess in 2010 and then blaming it on the Democrats. It probably will still be a mess in 2010 and the neocons are counting on the people being dumb enough to forget all they did to dig us into this hole.

If the GOP stay this course, I think they'll lose 10 seats in the Senate and perhaps 12 more in the House (would be more if not for so much gerrymandering).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies