Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:42 PM

267 posts, read 725,711 times

Advertisements

Most of what i saw wasn't shocking. Single mothers, not to many husbands but alot of boyfriends, high school dropouts, crime ridden, drug users, majority of the residents were on welfare was to be expected. For example I heard a man say selling drugs is the only way alot of people. Think they can make money in order to have a good life. You can find a man in the hood or barrios who think the same thing. That selling drugs is the only way to make it out. A couple things I did find shocking though was. The mountain dew mouth. Kids drinking mountain dew since they were a little baby. Who puts mountain dew in baby bottles? When the doctor from India said people are poorer in this part of the world than were he grew up in India. Especially since America is the richest country on earth. I also found shocking that oxycottin goes for $120 dollars on the street. That's crazy for a simple painkiller. Also the incest thing was disgusting.

What were your thoughts and opinions on the show?

Do you think it will shed more light on rural poverty. Since in america everytime we bring up on the poor. Its always focused on large cities. Even though most poor americans live in small towns and not large urban cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 01:09 PM

220 posts, read 622,596 times
I watched and enjoyed the show. I felt sorry for the kid who had to sleep in his car. Then made it to college but had to dropout and come back home. Also my heart really went out to the little girl who mother is a drug addict. But I don't think it will change much as far as. When people think of poverty urban area's still will come first to mind. Part of the reason has to do with race. Some area's are looked at as more black and hispanic. Compared to other's which are white. White people for the most part especially some white conservatives. Would rather much focus on and talk about the blacks and hispanics who are on welfare or commiting crimes. Than people in their on race. Sad but true. Watch fox news anyday of the week. Who do the whites usually bring up the statistics about. And always a negative stat they never do any postive statistics on diffrent races. Do they ever bring up any stats for their own race. No only about other's. Look at how many whites in america can give you a stat about black men, black women, hispanic men or women. But ask them to give you a stat about white men or women. They don't know any.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeme View Post
I watched and enjoyed the show. I felt sorry for the kid who had to sleep in his car. Then made it to college but had to dropout and come back home. Also my heart really went out to the little girl who mother is a drug addict. But I don't think it will change much as far as. When people think of poverty urban area's still will come first to mind. Part of the reason has to do with race. Some area's are looked at as more black and hispanic. Compared to other's which are white. White people for the most part especially some white conservatives. Would rather much focus on and talk about the blacks and hispanics who are on welfare or commiting crimes. Than people in their on race. Sad but true. Watch fox news anyday of the week. Who do the whites usually bring up the statistics about. And always a negative stat they never do any postive statistics on diffrent races. Do they ever bring up any stats for their own race. No only about other's. Look at how many whites in america can give you a stat about black men, black women, hispanic men or women. But ask them to give you a stat about white men or women. They don't know any.

But ask them to give you a stat about white men or women. They don't know any

That could be simply because lawmakers and the pc (politically correct) groups don't focus on Whites living in poverty. Their focus always goes to minorities. Don't ya know all us white folks are filthy rich? Yeah, sure.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo2 View Post
Most of what i saw wasn't shocking. Single mothers, not to many husbands but alot of boyfriends, high school dropouts, crime ridden, drug users, majority of the residents were on welfare was to be expected. For example I heard a man say selling drugs is the only way alot of people. Think they can make money in order to have a good life. You can find a man in the hood or barrios who think the same thing. That selling drugs is the only way to make it out. A couple things I did find shocking though was. The mountain dew mouth. Kids drinking mountain dew since they were a little baby. Who puts mountain dew in baby bottles? When the doctor from India said people are poorer in this part of the world than were he grew up in India. Especially since America is the richest country on earth. I also found shocking that oxycottin goes for $120 dollars on the street. That's crazy for a simple painkiller. Also the incest thing was disgusting.

Do you think it will shed more light on rural poverty. Since in america everytime we bring up on the poor. Its always focused on large cities. Even though most poor americans live in small towns and not large urban cities.
Just as an FYI, Oxycontin goes for $1 a milligram here so a "normal" prescription is worth about $400 on the street.
We get many indians off the res (I've stood there and watched them) who come to town with a wad of cash, fill 'em up for 300 pills or more and then you'll see them next month with another wad of cash filling up again. I guess you can figure out what's going on right?

I've seen that kind of poverty in Mississippi,Alabama,Arkansas and extreme rural Georgia as well as appalachia so it didn't surprise me a bit. What does tick me off is we can send all this money to other countries and we have some third world living conditions right here, it's just nobody ever talks about them, and even with a "new" administration they STILL DON'T.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Nope, we don't focus on color.
We focus on helping people out of poverty, if they're interested.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
But ask them to give you a stat about white men or women. They don't know any

That could be simply because lawmakers and the pc (politically correct) groups don't focus on Whites living in poverty. Their focus always goes to minorities. Don't ya know all us white folks are filthy rich? Yeah, sure.
Yea, I'm sure the average white person on the street can quote you specific statistics about poverty for certain racial or regional groups. Just as many people you meet on the street can accurately describe to you Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo2 View Post

What time did that show come on?

Also, where did they report from? Any specific area?

Old 02-14-2009, 02:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Maybe if they legalize cannabis they would give up the more destructive drugs. I was not surprised to see those poor living conditions. The US is no longer the nation of upward mobility as the system is far too controlled. Those left behind will have to fend for themselves. Hopefully after that special someone will step up to help the kid wanting out of that hell hole.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
You can watch the entire show on line, FYI. The parts that bothered me the most are the 11 year old talking about getting her mother out of there. no kid should have to worry about that. it should be the other way around. And the football player who dropped out of college. He really had a chance, but may end up like the rest now. I noticed the manager at the mine said they had 100 openings, but no one wanted to work. There may not be a lot of types of jobs available, but there ARE jobs.The whole thing was just sad.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:53 PM

39 posts, read 107,755 times
Excuse me but when did "whites" become the majority again?? If anything we are slowly but surely becoming the minority day by day. In reference to the Applalachians ignorance begets ignorance, most of these people grew up with proverty coal mining and farming isn't Wall Street, then the textile mills used and abused these people and left. The older ones didn't value a education in most part so anyway their children could get by was ok with them. There are more meth labs and pot farms in those there hills plus illegal liquor is still being served . heck country people will survive after all they have always gotten the short end of the stick government wise. Most of the politicians are Republicans in North Carolina ,Virginia,Tennessee, South Carolina . What did Elizabeth Dole ever do for her own home state. Virginia Foxx just voted against the stimulus. So much easier to stay with what you know and have corn bread and greens and mountain dew because help ain't coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies