Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Some people are just threatened, period. Any guy who's threatened by a woman being turned on by another woman just has a limited imagination.
I don't agree with this. Imagination has nothing to do with it. I'm sure there are many things you can imagine but don't want to actually see.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:42 PM

345 posts, read 642,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I work with all races of people at my current work, including black people.

Some of the people in my apartment building are black!

This semester I am attending an English Composition class at college which is taught by a black professor.
I just wanted to single out these lines because, honestly, this is just incredibly cliche of the white guilt mentality. "Hey, I'm not racist, I have black friends!"

As for the topic...

Quote:
why is it Black models still have a hard time getting on to covers of the magazines "that really count"?
I think a lot if it has to do with image and attractiveness...a lot of that being simply skin tone. Within mainstream modeling, and media in general, there are obviously ideas of what is attractive and what isn't. Look at it this way: Halle Berry and Beyonce don't have a hard time getting on the cover of popular women's magazines. A big part of that is because their skin is lighter end of the spectrum. I think a lot of people (in particular, the mainstream media I mentioned) don't find that very dark skin tone to be attractive. Is that the only reason more black women aren't on magazine covers? Nope. Am I justifying it? Nope, but that's part of the reality of it.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
I have no guilt over anything I've posted. I can't fix the mainstream media, or other people's experiences in life. I just posted truths of my life. I can't make you or anyone else think or feel a specific way. I learned a good lesson here. Thank you for the lesson!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
I just wanted to single out these lines because, honestly, this is just incredibly cliche of the white guilt mentality. "Hey, I'm not racist, I have black friends!"
There is no 'white guilt'. That's something fabricated by people who wish Whites felt guilt for something that they had no part of. The only White guilt you'll see now is from someone who used to be racist but has since turned from it.

The pity of it tho' is even when Whites do something that the majority of Blacks agree with--like voting for Obama--they're put down for that too, as one goof (on tv) said regarding the White vote, "They voted for Obama b'c they feel guilty (b'c of past slavery. They need to get over their anger". LOL Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:07 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Sexuality is sexuality. Once you stop qualifying it and self-segregating, maybe there will be more acceptance. As a white female, it's intimidating, because there's this sort of attitude that it's a whole different thing. It's not.

There is no white America or black America unless you make it that way. But with vapid magazines like Ebony cheapening the life and will of black females, it makes it hard to have much respect for that "individualized" sexuality. And when most of white/Latino/Asian American females exposure to "black sexuality" is being harassed by thugs at the mall, a lot of people look down on it. I don't think objectification is a good thing. I think if the cultural identity were a bit less in your face and aggressive, it would be respected a lot more.

Self-segregation and victimization as a whole is what creates these controversies. Stand up and be proud of your heritage, but don't place it above everyone else. Maybe black America should stand up for the intellect, self-worth, and beauty of all the strong women in the world...black, white, or any color in between.

Most of the young black women I know don't read Ebony. It is archaic and I find it to be stodgy and stale. Some read Essence when their favorite celebrity is featured. I read neither for my own personal reasons. They do serve a purpose. If you were a black female with natural hair or locs, you'll need the expertise given in those magazines because Cosmo won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I used to read all the style magazines, from Vogue to Marie Claire. Page after page of women who look very similar, except maybe their hair color. Does Cosmo need to be chockful of black women? No, but it would be nice to be represented. It would be nice to see a woman of color who isn't a celebrity on the cover of a major magazine. I'm not even going to bring up the skin color (no one likes dark skin garbage) issue. Black women of a lighter shade are hardly in mainstream magazines much.

I understand your concern about separatism, but in a way it is needed. Some people have no idea what it is like for a young girl too look at page after page of blonde hair and blue eyes when that is something she can never duplicate. At least not without judgement and ridicule. A young brunette can dye her hair (after all, her mom probably does that anyway- so it is natural to her) or get contacts to be a part of the American beauty standard if she so desires.

It is difficult for quite a few young women of color not to internalize this and take it personally. It isn't just magazines, it's movies, media, etc. Even worse if her parents lack the tools to circumvent these constant messages.

One thing I always liked about children's tv is how there is usually always a group of kids from all different backgrounds playing and interacting with each other. It is like that is most of the shows, movies and magazines. I wonder why that changes as the consumer gets older?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
There is no 'white guilt'. That's something fabricated by people who wish Whites felt guilt for something that they had no part of. The only White guilt you'll see now is from someone who used to be racist but has since turned from it.

The pity of it tho' is even when Whites do something that the majority of Blacks agree with--like voting for Obama--they're put down for that too, as one goof said regarding the White vote, "They voted for Obama b'c they feel guilty". LOL Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Amen.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
One thing I always liked about children's tv is how there is usually always a group of kids from all different backgrounds playing and interacting with each other. It is like that is most of the shows, movies and magazines. I wonder why that changes as the consumer gets older?
I never thought of it that way, but yes, it makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM

199 posts, read 663,157 times
We're threatened by their gorilla-like looks.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:18 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,361,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I don't agree with this. Imagination has nothing to do with it. I'm sure there are many things you can imagine but don't want to actually see.
It was a joke. Though the idea of two attractive women together is an image most men don't mind.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifikate View Post
We're threatened by their gorilla-like looks.
Hmm that's the best you could come up with? *eye roll*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies