Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,629,690 times

Advertisements

Beans, Bullets and Gold- Bullets to protect your beans and --gold for the future when things start to turn around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,499,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
If you have enought food to last 90 days you have a good chance of making it. After 90 days most of the people will have starved off.
I hadn't thought about that!! Okay, I'll have 90 days worth of food. If a lot of people start starving or are killed, they can just become food themselves if things really get bad.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,053,009 times
This is terrifying, despite its mild title: Sharpness of Global Downturn Alarms Economists - washingtonpost.com

Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,499,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyT View Post
To read TimeBomb 2000 & Tree of Liberty you'd swear we as a nation are in the process of collapse at this very moment w/ empty market shelves and rioting in the streets by next week. Is all this just pure hogwash by a bunch of doom-and-gloom fanatics or are we really in the beginnings of a fast-moving meltdown?
The thing is, grocery store shelves are constantly replenished. Two or three days without shipments arriving, some items will be gone.

If there are food shortages, or the food stamps don't arrive on time, the riots will start. People could probably stay relatively calm without new clothes, only the welfare crowd would riot over the loss of cable television. Teens would have a very difficult time without their cell phones but many would get through it.

I would not like to be in the city if electricity gets shut off at times. But food is the big thing.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,984,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
A lot of it is just politics and media b.s.
It's bad out there but I wouldn't worry about living in a tent city.
If it gets "tent city" bad I will be relocating to a nice big mansion with a few friends and fortifying the hell out of it. Tents are for the unwashed masses.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,214,150 times
Quote:
>>>>If you have enought food to last 90 days you have a good chance of making it. After 90 days most of the people will have starved off.

I have my doubts. The have-nots will take from the haves. Only the strongest will survive. Pack mentality will be the rule of law if this gets as bad as the doomers are making it out to be.
And that, sir, is why many of the doomers prefer to live in the country away from the cities.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 PM

76 posts, read 133,159 times
Quote:
To read TimeBomb 2000 & Tree of Liberty you'd swear we as a nation are in the process of collapse at this very moment w/ empty market shelves and rioting in the streets by next week. Is all this just pure hogwash by a bunch of doom-and-gloom fanatics or are we really in the beginnings of a fast-moving meltdown?
I have a stone cold serious request. Please revisit this post April 1st.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,214,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The thing is, grocery store shelves are constantly replenished. Two or three days without shipments arriving, some items will be gone.

If there are food shortages, or the food stamps don't arrive on time, the riots will start. People could probably stay relatively calm without new clothes, only the welfare crowd would riot over the loss of cable television. Teens would have a very difficult time without their cell phones but many would get through it.

I would not like to be in the city if electricity gets shut off at times. But food is the big thing.
The port in California just stated that shipments INTO the country are down 23%. The BDI is down too (Baltic Dry Index). That will give you a inkling of what is to come.

Just remember how much of our goods, including food is NOT MADE IN THE USA anymore !

Maritime - Weak US port traffic dampens energy demand
snippet:
"The number of loaded shipping containers going in and out of the busiest US port complex in Southern California fell 23% in December from a year earlier, and 16.4% from the previous month, according to data from the Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach.

Together the ports – the two largest in the country – handle more than 40% of US imported goods."

Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,700,139 times
I'm going the Cheerios and beef jerky route.....along with many gallons of water, and cheap bottles of vitamin supplements from Wally world. No refrigeration required, and you can buy a ton of the stuff for a few hundred bucks. Various types of condensed soups, and a few pounds of M&M candies for a little variety. Oh, and many rounds of hollow point ammo for the guns. If things havent started getting better after 90-100 days after a total meltdown, it might be time to reconsider the whole concept of survival
I would think days 6-40 might be the roughest. Lots of hungry, desperate people starting trouble.....

Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,700,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411man View Post
I have a stone cold serious request. Please revisit this post April 1st.
Let's hope that we can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies