Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The same one that you inhabit. Take Florida for example, the largest number of defaults are in those brand new shinny white gated communities and condos. From what I have seen in Arizona the case is the same. I can guarantee that the house flippers and speculators weren't banking on houses in Liberty City.

Regions facing another huge housing default in Florida - al.com

South Florida Housing Bubble: "Unusually high default rates" (http://www.soflahousing.com/2008/03/unusually-high-default-rates.html - broken link)

South Florida Housing Bubble
Everything you posted was great, except that list of "affluent non minority" areas. Although affluent, I would think they also have a large immigrant population. I'm not lookig at stats, or anything. Just my own observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Everything you posted was great, except that list of "affluent non minority" areas. Although affluent, I would think they also have a large immigrant population. I'm not lookig at stats, or anything. Just my own observation.

I know that it is hard to come to grips with the fact that there is no correlation between income and defaults, that the attempt to blame the current crisis on low to moderate income home owners, more specifically people of color is a bit hard for "Real Americans™" to come to grips with. I realize that having to accept the fact that shiftless fast talking mortgage lenders, bankers and bond analysis who looked the other way, and the cream of the Harvard and Wharton's business schools devised a house of cards built out of bizarre mortgage back financial instruments are the actual culprits. Because I know how sacred the belief that the markets, when left to their own devices, will create good and plenty for society. For having to dissuade you of your beliefs, I apologize. No one likes having the emperor exposed and naked for all to see.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
I know that it is hard to come to grips with the fact that there is no correlation between income and defaults, that the attempt to blame the current crisis on low to moderate income home owners, more specifically people of color is a bit hard for "Real Americans™" to come to grips with. I realize that having to accept the fact that shiftless fast talking mortgage lenders, bankers and bond analysis who looked the other way, and the cream of the Harvard and Wharton's business schools devised a house of cards built out of bizarre mortgage back financial instruments are the actual culprits. Because I know how sacred the belief that the markets, when left to their own devices, will create good and plenty for society. For having to dissuade you of your beliefs, I apologize. No one likes having the emperor exposed and naked for all to see.
More info:

"The recent sharp increase in mortgage defaults is significantly amplified in subprime zip codes, or zip codes with a disproportionately large share of subprime borrowers as of 1996. Prior to the default crisis, these subprime zip codes experience an unprecedented relative growth in mortgage credit. The expansion in mortgage credit from 2002 to 2005 to subprime zip codes occurs despite sharply declining relative (and in some cases absolute) income growth in these neighborhoods. In fact, 2002 to 2005 is the only period in the last eighteen years when income and mortgage credit growth are negatively correlated. We show that the expansion in mortgage credit to subprime zip codes and its dissociation from income growth is closely correlated with the increase in securitization of subprime mortgages."
SSRN-The Consequences of Mortgage Credit Expansion: Evidence from the U.S. Mortgage Default Crisis by Atif Mian, Amir Sufi

More from the above:

"The sharp rise in U.S. mortgage default rates has led to the most severe financial crisis
since the Great Depression. A salient feature of the mortgage default crisis is that it is
concentrated in subprime zip codes throughout the entire country. A comparison of subprime and
prime zip codes, which are defined to be zip codes in the highest and lowest quartile based on the
fraction of borrowers with a credit score under 660 as of 1996, reveals that subprime zip codes
experience an increase in default rates since 2006 that is more than three times as large as prime
zip codes in the same metropolitan area."

Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
The same one that you inhabit. Take Florida for example, the largest number of defaults are in those brand new shinny white gated communities and condos. From what I have seen in Arizona the case is the same. I can guarantee that the house flippers and speculators weren't banking on houses in Liberty City.

Regions facing another huge housing default in Florida - al.com

South Florida Housing Bubble: "Unusually high default rates" (http://www.soflahousing.com/2008/03/unusually-high-default-rates.html - broken link)

South Florida Housing Bubble
My reply was to your "non-minority" "affluent" statement. That comment doesn't hold water.

Miami is over 87% minority.
Los Angeles is over 87% minority. (wierd almost the same as Miami)
Phoenix is about 39% minority.
Las Vegas 37%
San Diego 54%

These are all very conservative #'s, we all know alot of "minorities" are unaccounted for. Also as far as affluence goes, all of these areas are real close to or below state averages for income.

None of the areas you mentioned as "the worst" for price decreases are affluent or "non-minority". They seem rather poor and minority rich. Which would make them historically and statistically less educated areas. There are always exceptions though.

To say that the CRA had no effect on housing prices and lending practices in these areas would be false.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 02-18-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Nice abstract and interesting from a micro perspective but it says very little regarding the overall picture of sub-prime lending. In fact all that it states, which is not news, is that subprime lending increased regardless of income decline in pre-selected communities. We all know that there was an increase in sub-prime lending in the period between 2000-2005.

McDash Analytics, compared localized data from March 2007 and March 2008; and found that default rates for all loan types rose significantly over that 12-month period, with subprime defaults vastly outstripping prime defaults but found that among subprime borrowers, income level had little correlation to foreclosure rates: in short subprime borrowers in more prosperous communities defaulted at nearly the same rate by March 2008 as those that defaulted in impoverished areas.

Foreclosure Rates Not Determined by Income

Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
My reply was to your "non-minority" "affluent" statement. That comment doesn't hold water.
If you want to blame non-white Cubans as a minority go for it. I concede your point although I have no clue as to what it is.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 PM

My research tells a different story.

Key findings of the Department of Housing and Urban Development analysis show that: 1) From 1993 to 1998, the number of subprime refinancing loans increased ten-fold. 2) Subprime loans are three times more likely in low income neighborhoods than in high-income neighborhoods. 3) Subprime loans are five times more likely in black neighborhoods than in white neighborhoods. 4) Homeowners in high-income black areas are twice as likely as homeowners in low-income white areas to have subprime loans.
Unequal Burden: Income and Racial Disparities in Subprime Lending in America

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Well my research tells a different story.
You mean your abstract.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
If you want to blame non-white Cubans as a minority go for it. I concede your point although I have no clue as to what it is.

Quote:
You mean your abstract.

Cubans wouldn't be a minority? Re read my post (#27), I accidentally hit post before I was finished. You are quick on the trigger!!
My point is that the CRA increased SPL to minorities and poor people with bad credit because of the fear of being fined by the federal govt.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM

340 posts, read 704,455 times
next --- look at credit scores and actual numbers ---a tenfold increase does not a trend make

house of cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies