Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:40 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Do keep in mind that there had been an escaped chimp, shot by police, all over the news in the NYC suburbs days before this cartoon appeared. It wasn't as if the chimp imagery was random.

Just throwing that out there.
Yeah but the imagery itself isn't the real problem so much as its (not-so) subtle connection with Obama (via the stimulus bill). At the very least it is very tasteless.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
If you understand how goverment works you SHOULD know CONGRESS wrote the bill as it is with all the changes and pork thats in it. THEY are a group of idiots, a monkey could do a better job at what was wrote. its not Obamas bill just because he was voted prez. Its his because he signed off on it. its that simple, enough of this white folk indignation BS .
So why didn't they show a bunch of monkeys being gunned down then? They still could've gotten their point across this way and frankly if the reference was indeed Congress this would've made more sense.

But they knew better. They knew it was Obama's from the start - that he proposed it, championed it, sold it across the US. It was his baby.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,329 times
I don't buy that this was a racist prod at Obama. Some of the responses are similar to when Howard Cosell said "Look at that little monkey run" while referring to Alvin Garrett and being lambasted for it. Some people will read what they want into any kind of statement.

I certainly can't say there haven't been times when I've likened members of congress to lower life forms.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,187 times
This "cartoon" from the NY Post was blatantly racist and all Americans know this to be the case, 400 hundred years of history cannot be overlooked. But reading the backwards thinking and thoroughly unenlightened attempts at defending such a "cartoon" can only lead one to a startling conclusion: the US is heading towards civil war. Conservatives have long left conservative ideology and values and embraced savagery of tribalism. This is as plain as the light of day as represented by many of the posts appearing on C-D, written by those who either identify with or define themselves as conservatives.

The south may have lost the war militarily, but they never lost it culturally. This fact has burdened America with an embarrassing contradiction that is finally coming to a head, after almost 150 years.

Last edited by Nietzschean Gangsta; 02-19-2009 at 03:20 AM..

Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I'm looking at the chimp drawing right now. It's stupid but it is not racist. I think some black people and white people are looking for something that isn't there.
400 years of American history disagrees with you.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:07 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
There is nothing racist about comparing Bush to a chimpanzee, since there is no historical context in which to read that comparison as racist.

It is, however, rather insulting to the chimpanzee.
That is a racist comment

Old 02-19-2009, 03:34 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
[quote=mark6052;7523605]theres noway that when the person drew it he MEANT that maybe any monkey in CONGRESS could write the next bill. nah, a public paper just lets this picture out to make its skinhead readers happy. I am so fed-up with the over sensitive, progressive minded thinkers in this world. and where in this picture does it say Obama? and when did the president write the stimulis bill? I thought congress did that. but there I go with facts.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

Old 02-19-2009, 04:10 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
[quote=redwine;7527574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think all of you who see a chimp depicted and jump to the conclusion someone is making fun of black humans are actually the racists. Why do you think blacks look any more like monkeys than whites? That's your own problem I think.

Thank you! I would love to see someone answer that one?
Looks like a bunch of folks know NOTHING about American history.

I don't agree that the cartoon is racist, but it is in poor taste given the HISTORICAL context.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
How about the Bush bashers comparing Bush to a chimp (http://www.bushorchimp.com/ - broken link)? Does that count...or is that okay?
Nice find

Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I think the cartoon was in bad taste. A woman was horribly attacked by that animal, the second such attack in about a year( when will people learn?). There was nothing racist about it, it was just a slam on the stimulus bill being poorly written and rushed through in a wild frenzy. But again, it was not funny and now its being used for political reasons by the other side which is just as bad.
We've seen such callousness and indifference to suffering from liberals and neocons before, and we'll see it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies