Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Interesting thread. Would you mind doing a thread about liberal white guilt? Thanks
We had a LONG thread about White Guilt on this forum, 8 or 9 months ago...MANY pages. Should still be on the record...under "White Guilt"..

Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
It's an aggregate. On average would you rather be a white person applying or a black person applying?

Wise again:

I see the point they are trying to make. And Im not saying there's no racism, etc.

Got one more point that needs to be looked at though.

He's saying that for every 1 black person that didnt quite meet the normal qualifications but got some sort of "special consideration" due to being a minority, that there were 2 whites that didnt meet the normal qualifications but got some sort of "special consideration".

Now, he didnt mention anything about overal numbers or percentages. Is the reason that twice as many whites get "special consideration" when not meeting normal requirements than blacks because there are twice as many whites applying at that school? Is he using %'s? What if whites account for 85% of the applications and blacks make up 15%? Then the 2:1 whites:blacks getting special consideration doesnt seem bad.

If whites accounted for 50% and blacks for 50% (applications) and whites were 2:1 on the special consideration...there would be a problem.

I just didnt see that get addressed and it would be interesting to see ALL the numbers. (not counting out me overlooking it though, I could have missed it)

Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 PM

362 posts, read 774,596 times
I think this country has come a very long way when it comes to race relations. I can't say I've witnessed any type of racial discrimination becuase I'm Latino and maybe I just don't see it like blacks do.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:11 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I've recently discovered the writings of Tim Wise, I think this excerpt from a recent blog post is brilliant:

Mod cut-copyright Please click on link for rest of quote

Source: Explaining White Privilege to the Deniers and the Haters | Red Room

The myth of white male privilege is a tool of the left used to avoid the ugly truth that blacks fail to achieve all by themselves. After placing every single possible obstacle in the way of white males while simultaneously giving every conceivable advantage to blacks, blacks still come up short on standardized tests, fill our prisons and kill each other. So what could possibly be the reason for disproportionate black dysfunction? Racist police? Inadequate schools? Whitey in general? Sure, Why not? Cling to your victimhood if it's all you have, but you deceive no one. Racially biased tests? CIA created crack and HIV to destroy the black community? Gimme a break.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Im not saying there isnt some white privilege. There absolutely is. In certain situations. Just as there is some black privilege in certain situations, mexican privilege in certain situtations, chinese, japanese, southern, northern, etc, etc, etc.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 PM

42 posts, read 59,787 times
This is such a complex issue, but at the same time, quite simple.

By and large, whites have been the power brokers, independent of their relative populations. That we refer to those of color as "minorities", is fast becoming a semantic misnomer.

That whites have been the excusive power brokers is one thing, that they singlehandedly subjugated an entire race of people is another.
My grandparents, and to a lesser extent, my parents, recall a time when a white person could own a black person.

I don't think this resonates with many people in they way it should.
Whites bred blacks as thought they were animals.
Whites denied blacks whatever inalienable rights our constitutions guaranteed us whites.
Whites raped black women and permitted the children borne of those rapes to be absorbed into the slave ownership/trade.

They did this for generations to over ten million blacks. For generations, to millions of people, for hundreds of years. Imagine the long term effects of an entire race of people being the possession of another race of people...being owned by them. It's unfathomable.

So when I hear whites being dissmissive of the history of slavery, of the real essence of what slavery meant to this race of people and what the long term consequences of those centuries of subjugation, subordination, abuse, rape, implementation of LAWS which denied them any education or rights etc did for an entire race, I lose my ability to comprehend them.

When you hear that blacks have all these advantages because of affirmative action policies, educational opportunities from Brown v. Board of Education, from the liberation resulting from MLK, or the designation of an entire month to recognize black history, the ACLU, you really have to sit back and absorb what a different history blacks have had, and how different their collective history is with whites in America. And I'm not talking about ther history as an isolate incident in the 1600, I'm talking about 400years of successive generations subjected to sub or anti-human treatment. It's a long time....enought to program or reprogram an entire race to be whatever the programmer wanted to have as their result.

Now, imagine, not only from an sociological perspective, but also an anthropological and genetic one, what the lasting effects would be on this race of people in just a few generations after the chains had been broken. 400 years of oppression is supposed to be negated and righted in a few decades, or a few generations? Its' supposed to be negated by a half black president?

Some of you need to take a trip to the south, to the heartland to witness how little "progress" has been made to truly liberate the black people of America, adn how truly deliberate the white people are in failing to progress beyond a 17th century mentality. Actually, just read some of the gems posted in this thread.

Some of you are almost proud of your bais against and hatred for blacks, and I'm disgusted to be classed in the same species with you.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Although I'm not one to let some archaic thought system hold me back from what I want to do, I definitely am the witness of "White Privilege." If you need a picture to sum up the proof of "white privilege," here ie is:

Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limited60 View Post
This is such a complex issue, but at the same time, quite simple.

By and large, whites have been the power brokers, independent of their relative populations. That we refer to those of color as "minorities", is fast becoming a semantic misnomer.

That whites have been the excusive power brokers is one thing, that they singlehandedly subjugated an entire race of people is another.
My grandparents, and to a lesser extent, my parents, recall a time when a white person could own a black person.

Whites denied blacks whatever inalienable rights our constitutions guaranteed us whites.
Whites raped black women and permitted the children borne of those rapes to be absorbed into the slave ownership/trade.

They did this for generations to over ten million blacks. For generations, to millions of people, for hundreds of years. Imagine the long term effects of an entire race of people being the possession of another race of people...being owned by them. It's unfathomable.

So when I hear whites being dissmissive of the history of slavery, of the real essence of what slavery meant to this race of people and what the long term consequences of those centuries of subjugation, subordination, abuse, rape, implementation of LAWS which denied them any education or rights etc did for an entire race, I lose my ability to comprehend them.

When you hear that blacks have all these advantages because of affirmative action policies, educational opportunities from Brown v. Board of Education, from the liberation resulting from MLK, or the designation of an entire month to recognize black history, the ACLU, you really have to sit back and absorb what a different history blacks have had, and how different their collective history is with whites in America. And I'm not talking about ther history as an isolate incident in the 1600, I'm talking about 400years of successive generations subjected to sub or anti-human treatment. It's a long time....enought to program or reprogram an entire race to be whatever the programmer wanted to have as their result.

Now, imagine, not only from an sociological perspective, but also an anthropological and genetic one, what the lasting effects would be on this race of people in just a few generations after the chains had been broken. 400 years of oppression is supposed to be negated and righted in a few decades, or a few generations? Its' supposed to be negated by a half black president?

Some of you need to take a trip to the south, to the heartland to witness how little "progress" has been made to truly liberate the black people of America, adn how truly deliberate the white people are in failing to progress beyond a 17th century mentality. Actually, just read some of the gems posted in this thread.

Some of you are almost proud of your bais against and hatred for blacks, and I'm disgusted to be classed in the same species with you.

I've met holocuast victims, Khmer rouge escapees, Soviet citizens and others who have escaped horror. The fact is that when you have a child, you have a responsibilty to try and make that child's future brighter than your own. I live outside a mostly Black city, and anytime a black child shines at their brightest, the "community" rallies around them to remind them that they're Black and succeeding in America makes you a "Sellout"

As a mixed person, when I see successful Blacks and successful Whites, the difference is night and day. My successful white friends are proud and boastful of their successes. Their families rally around them and encourage them to improve themselves and compete in the world at large. They are far more secure in themselves and feel they deserve to achieve their fullest potential.
The successful Blacks I meet feel ashamed of their success. They either desperately cling to hip-hop or urban culture to try and prove to the world how "Authentic" they are. Or, they go the opposite way and shun their culture entirely. Some have told me they cannot go back to their homes becuase being college educated is considered to be a blight on their families "cred". They often feel culturally unsure of themselves now that their communites have banished them. And for you Black ladies out there, this banishment also is a driving factor in dating White/Asian women.

White people, as a general rule, vaule success. Black communites, from what I've seen, consider it to be an abandonment of the victimization-role they've clung to. Alot of this actually has nothing to do with Blacks at all, but with the fact that communists infiltrated the Civil Rights movement during the early 70s and sought to permanetly wed "leftism" with "civil rights".

It's not skin tone, it's leftist politics.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM

974 posts, read 1,586,760 times
to the person who posted about "substandard schools". I went to one of those schools. I came out just fine. I put my nose to the grindstone and now have a great job, own my home, have 10 acres of land around it, and have a very happy family life. So poor education is a choice not a point of racism. The reason some students have problems is because my class size in high school in 1990-94 was almost 40 kids per class. Now imagine trying to single out people having problems with your class and you can see what happens. It is not racism, it is a case of under staffing. I was a tutor at school, how many people do you think volunteered for tutoring? None did, because they were embarrassed to be thought of as stupid, that is not racism, thats individualism and peer pressure. I am not saying that racism from all groups is not there, but its not as affluent as you pretend it to be.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limited60 View Post

Putting aside for just a moment your claim that your grandparents...or your parents...remember slavery (they must be EXTRAORINARILY long-lived people, because anyone in the US who remembers slavery, would have HAD to have been at least 5 or 6 years old in 1865), and the problem of how white people could "breed" a fellow human being (unless he WANTED to be 'bred'). I'll nevertheless give you the benefit of the doubt...and I'll agree with you. The nightmare of slavery and segregation IS unfathomable, indefensible, and can never be fully understood by one not involved in it.

My question to you then becomes, what do you expect ME to do about it?...remembering that I'm a white guy, descended from immigrants who arrived from Europe to California AFTER slavery was ended; who has NO roots in the South; who's a Catholic; and who has NEVER engaged in an act of oppression or unkindness toward a black person; who has a black god-daughter, a black President, and has NO say over who does, and does NOT, get admitted to college, OR who gets put in jail.

I'm just "me"...what can I do to address the complaints and concerns in your post? How can I 'make things right', while keeping YOUR dignity intact, and without totally destroying MY life and compromising what I have worked for?

If there's a way I can help, let me know. If you just want to VENT, I'll listen,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies