Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones1980 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Whites are a minority in the world, comprising less than 13% of the world's population. By 2050 there will be more people in Africa alone than the World's entire White population... Hell, nearly half the world's population is in Asia.

Also -- in predominately Black countries is there Black privilege?

And finally, don't African-Americans have the highest standard of living in the world compared to Blacks in overwhelmingly Black countries? Seems to me that things can't be too tough considering they are benefiting from living in a majority-White built country -- with amenities that Whites created such as a written language, wheel, electricity, etc (When European explorers went to inland Africa these people were still hunting large game with spear)... and are able to live under a rule of law where conditions are relatively safe.
Actually, the majority of this country was built by slaves owned by whites. Those slaves were forced to forget their heritage and accept that forced upon them. You ignorance is palpable.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
You said this in another post:

"Trying to get a 'grip' on this...really. So whites...(ALL whites)..are, by definition and by their classification as a 'group', and by their common ancestry..are "privileged". Blacks, on the other hand, by the same parameters..by their 'definition' as blacks; by their classification as being part of the black 'group', and by virtue of their common ancestry....are "discriminated against" (the 'flipside' of privilege)..OK, I THINK I've 'got it'."

Yes. The answer to your questions are all YES. Yes, even today.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
coolhand68 makes a number of good points. Whites are just as often discriminated against depending on where we are speaking about. Have a number of friends living in Hawaii who have encountered discrimination by Asians and native Hawaiians for many years.
I went to high school in Hawaii (Leilehua HS). There was discrimination against us whites. There were bathrooms that I couldn't go in. There were groups of kids that I couldn't walk past - if I saw them, I'd turn right around and head in the opposite direction. But there was a huge difference. If there was a fight or dispute brought to the teachers - they knew who to believe. We were still privileged there.

In fact, the subjugation of the asian races by the whites was exactly what lead to the hatred expressed towards whites by the locals. Your example proves the point. In America as a whole, whites have privileges that blacks and other minorities don't have. Men have privileges that women don't (even though women outnumber men).

Tim Wise's point is that we need to recognize that. We need to see how subtle racist pressures have shaped our institutions - such that we whites receive benefits that we are unaware of.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 PM

26 posts, read 19,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Here in New Mexico where we recently moved, I have spoken to a number of people who are very vocal about it. I am hearing about definite and open discrimination against whites. Try and get a job in state, city or county government here, and unless you are Hispanic of Native American you''ve got the slimmiest of chances to get the job. And then, even if you get it be on guard, because if someones family member wants the job, whether they are qualified or not, you will probably be replaced.
It's Whites who are voluntarily doing it to themselves -- whether the U.S or Europe, etc... Whites are 90% of the U.S population in the 1960-70s until the pushing of the 1965 immigration act which changed everything...

Why are we doing this to ourselves and why is it in our benefit? I see no benefit from what's going on around me and the decline in quality of life...

Old 02-19-2009, 05:08 PM

410 posts, read 514,953 times
I was wondering why you call yourself white all the time instead of your ethnic background that you come from. it offends me so i wonder why it doesn't offend you. anyways, i think that lighter skin color isn't favoured when it comes to getting what they want in life. i think it is equal in every race. i think the better looking ones in each race have an easier time getting what they want.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:08 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Perhaps you have other flaws that counter the white privilege.

Seriously - it's not a valid argument to point to anecdotal evidence (you too, sweetclimber - your girlfriend's word isn't worth anything). Look at the statistics. Blacks have much higher unemployment rates in almost every region, and almost every sector. Blacks are almost absent at the top ranks of companies and institutions - that's why we celebrate the few who do make it.

I'll tell you my criterion for deciding that racism is over and affirmative action isn't needed. I have black kids, and I belong to a group for adoptive families with cultural differences. I'll know we've made it when the first black parents show up with a white kid.
Sure her word is worth something. She is actually out there in the corporate word. The "front lines" so to speak, unlike some social scientist with a bone to pick who wants to make race more of an issue than it really is anymore.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:10 PM

26 posts, read 19,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Actually, the majority of this country was built by slaves owned by whites. Those slaves were forced to forget their heritage and accept that forced upon them. You ignorance is palpable.
Wrong, TANK. It's YOUR ignorance that is 'palpable.'

It may be easy to scream 'oh we had slavery so this country is built by slaves..'

Many countries in Africa still have slaves and those countries certainly arn't being built up..Why? Because the slaves worked in agriculture fields not building complex buildings and doing engineering tasks.

This country became a superpower based on industry, northern industry.

What a joker.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Sure her word is worth something. She is actually out there in the corporate word. The "front lines" so to speak, unlike some social scientist with a bone to pick who wants to make race more of an issue than it really is anymore.
So you don't consider this to be an issue?
Quote:

So, for instance, studies have found that job applicants with white sounding names are 50% more likely to receive a call-back for a job interview than applicants with black-sounding names, even when all job-related qualifications and credentials are the same.

Other studies have found that white men with a criminal record are more likely to get a call-back for an interview than black male job applicants who don't have one, even when all requisite qualifications, demeanor and communication styles are the same.

Others have found that white women are far more likely than black women to be hired for work through temporary agencies, even when the black women have more experience and are more qualified.
Or is it that you just deny it? And if the latter, then on what grounds?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
C'mon..Haven't you heard enough? We went through about 30 pages discussing this very topic. Stop kidding yourself, you don't really want to understand it.
Why, yes..I DO recall our conversation now, and your patient, respectful efforts at tutelage, bringing me your insight, your enlightenment, and your suggestions. I recall that well. I DO remember your admonishing me for my ignorance then, as you're doing now...and our failure to 'get on the same page'. Wish I could share your amazing abilty to see into the darkest recesses of the "white mind"....I can barely go there myself !!

Guess my 'privilege' just doesn't extend to 'insight'....still learning, though. Please be patient.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
One thing I will never understand is the time and energy black people waste on this topic. They spend their best years proving that they are at a disadvantage because of their skin color. (proving to whom?)
However, even if you are correct, how will such complain improve your situation? You can invest the same time and energy bettering your life, studying, working, ect.
If the complain is intended to change laws, elect a black president (Gee, I forgot, we already have one) or anything practical, go ahead. Otherwise, how telling us the same thing for the 400000 time is going to help?
Like my neighbor, who complains to everyone that he is poor. Some will tell him that they are also poor, others will try to convince him that he is not that poor (he owns a small house). One way or another, he feels bad about himself all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies