Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Politics and religion in the same sentence???

Popcorn please!
actually, religion has very little to do with the topic of this thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:04 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Moved from Christianity

Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm neither Republican or Democrat, but I appreciate the fact that at least the Dems don't keep up the pretense of being a "christian" party. The GOP just says so to get our votes, and for several years they used us as pawns. I don't support people who use me to further their own political ambitions.

You're right..instead they use "tolerance" when they are very, very far from having any.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
such a fun mixed tonic..

VIDEO: Group counters stimulus with Jesus in TV ad - Jonathan Martin - Politico.com

What I find so laughable about this is the following:

1. It was ok to spend a bunch of money on banks in 2008

2. Now a stiumulus program that supposedly will help some people.. is a bad thing.

What baffles me is this..

The GOP is not made up of just millionaires.. The GOP has everyday hard working people in their ranks and I bet they make up the majority of that party. Why they continue to sell their soul to the rich is beyond me. I just don't get the martydom stance that of making $50K a year and fighting for people who make over $200K a year to have a tax break...

I feel like everyday folk are being hoodwinked.. bamboozled.. etc because they buy this crap from some conservative think tank since it has Jesus in it..

Tell me I'm wrong.. Please..
No, it wasn't. The rest of your post is irrelevant, due to your opening thesis point being incorrect. No true conservative supported it. Only the far lefties, who also happen to support this nonsense.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
No, it wasn't. The rest of your post is irrelevant, due to your opening thesis point being incorrect. No true conservative supported it. Only the far lefties, who also happen to support this nonsense.
Really? I'm pretty sure Bush is a conservative.. and he signed it.

I'll wait for the appropriate "Bush wasn't a REAL conservative" response that is bound to follow..

Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
such a fun mixed tonic..

VIDEO: Group counters stimulus with Jesus in TV ad - Jonathan Martin - Politico.com

2. Now a stiumulus program that supposedly will help some people.. is a bad thing.

The GOP is not made up of just millionaires.. The GOP has everyday hard working people in their ranks and I bet they make up the majority of that party. Why they continue to sell their soul to the rich is beyond me. I just don't get the martydom stance that of making $50K a year and fighting for people who make over $200K a year to have a tax break...

I feel like everyday folk are being hoodwinked.. bamboozled.. etc because they buy this crap from some conservative think tank since it has Jesus in it..

I have been wondering that for a long time.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
So the two of you dont mind the fact that Obama and the rest of the Dems told you one thing during the election process and now they are doing something else? Neither of you must be truly informed if you do not know the subtle facts. I did not agree with the bail out when Bush proposed it and I still do not agree with this bail out. Have you ever listened to Barney Frank, he came straight out and said they stopped Bush from distributing the first 350 billion, which somehow disapeared and neither side will admit where it went, and then Frank said they were freezing the second 350 billion until Obama got into office. Then he has the nerve to turn right around in the same interview and accuse Bush of wasting the first 350B with zero evidence where it went, but yet the Dems then come out and say they gave the money to the banks and the banks wasted it.

Honestly I am neither republican or democrat because both sides are full of manipulative liars, but I do have conservative values and I do pay attention to who is doing what and how they are doing it and I am sorry but between Clinton and his policies which Bush had to work thru because many of the laws Clinton signed did not expire until close to the end of Bushs administration which is about the time the Dems took over Congress and the House.

If Clinton admitted to the deregulations that led to our current crisis then people need to leave Bush alone. Remember back when Bush got in office and much of what Clinton did made his start difficult and the Dems kept crying that you couldnt look back at the previous admin? They even went so far as to start the "MoveOn.org" crap to keep people from blaming Clinton for anything. Well why cant this administration just Move On.

We are SCREWED people and the Dems have manipulated everything so well, we are not even supposed to realize we are srewed.
what?

Old 02-20-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
You're right..instead they use "tolerance" when they are very, very far from having any.
let's not go there again. Just because we don't AGREE with you does not make us intolerant.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
such a fun mixed tonic..

Yep, you nailed it. Only you and liberals like you understand complex economic policies like taking from one group to giving to another group. We have this wonderful responsible government that always looks out for the interests of the common man. Why not trust them to distribute our collective incomes fairly? It's not like they've done anything in the past that would cause me to question their motives in wanting to control more of our money. What is wrong with these conservative simpletons? The just don't get it.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I'm not christian, nor athiest not agnostic. I share most of the beliefs in principal of most Christians though and yet don't like the idea of the religion itself getting some kind of official nod. And we need to not look at any politician or party in terms of what they say but what they do and to whom. Forget the speeches. Look at who gets money for what. On that standard all of them fail miserably. And put 90 percent of the weight on the individual politician over the party they belong to.

And when one religion gets a kind of official nod then all its beliefs get them including those which are no business of government to claim as morality. Governments are there to support personal liberty to choose, and believe in whatever choice is made, not to impose the one that has a tacit official stamp.

As to politics we need to loose the Democrat and Republican labels. Make a list of what you believe, define those beliefs and look at any one individual (not even mentioning party) in terms of that. Vote and support the *people* who share the issues that matter to you no matter *what* they are. And consider skills, the ability to work with people, levels of experience, if they are attached at the hip to the old ways of doing things...

There are many many more things that matter than party and one reason we get bad leaders is people vote for the one with the blue or red button and never get passed that. Only if we start considering who we are voting for in terms of individuals will we improve the quality of our leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies