Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
To the posters who said that banning gay marriage is violating a gay person's civil rights the same way that black people's used to be.....it's vastly different. Being black is not an action...sexual activity (with ANY person) is an action that is a choice. Feeling a certain way may not necessarily be a choice...but acting on that feeling is.
Forgive me if you have answered this question -- but I have asked it numerous times, and didn't see an answer yet.

Just how does two men having sex affect you? Especially in the confines of a state sanctified monogamous relationship?
Just what do you imagine would happen if gay marriage was legalized across the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:58 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Forgive me if you have answered this question -- but I have asked it numerous times, and didn't see an answer yet.

Just how does two men having sex affect you? Especially in the confines of a state sanctified monogamous relationship?
Just what do you imagine would happen if gay marriage was legalized across the country?
I wasn't trying to argue that anyone (gay or straight) having consensual sex should be criminalized. I was just saying that it's not the same as being black because there's a difference between your identity and your actions.

And, if gay marriage was legalized, I don't know what would happen. In my state, we have a constitutional amendment against it so I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. I believe this should absolutely be a state issue. The federal government has intruded into states' rights way too much already.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route_66_traveler View Post
Homosexuality is a choice/lifestyle.

Yes I am against homosexual marriage. I am also a Christian, and believe the Bible is God's Word. The Bible tells me, homosexuality is a sin.
Having sex is a personal choice. Seeking love/completeness from members of the same gender is not. The Bible doesn't offer anything on that conundrum. Christians never address that issue because if homosexuality is indeed innate, Christianity's foundation would begin to crumble. Can't have that, can we? Can't have any part of an outdated and irrational system become exposed for what it is. But go ahead and adhere to it. It's as much a dead end as any other unprovable belief system.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
To the posters who said that banning gay marriage is violating a gay person's civil rights the same way that black people's used to be.....it's vastly different. Being black is not an action...sexual activity (with ANY person) is an action that is a choice. Feeling a certain way may not necessarily be a choice...but acting on that feeling is.
Believe it or not, there are gays and lesbians who are celibate.
Since they don't "act" on their feelings, will they be the ones to receive marriages?
I wish people would get over the whole sex part when it comes to gays and lesbians and realize hey, we pay taxes too. We contribute to a system that discriminates against us.
We should have the right to make medical decisions for our partner, we should have the right to have parental rights should we decide to have children, we should have the right to buy a home together, etc.

Quote:
Here are some of the legal rights that married couples have and gays and lesbians are denied:
  1. Joint parental rights of children
  2. Joint adoption
  3. Status as "next-of-kin" for hospital visits and medical decisions
  4. Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains
  5. Immigration and residency for partners from other countries
  6. Crime victims recovery benefits
  7. Domestic violence protection orders
  8. Judicial protections and immunity
  9. Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will
  10. Public safety officers death benefits
  11. Spousal veterans benefits
  12. Social Security
  13. Medicare
  14. Joint filing of tax returns
  15. Wrongful death benefits for surviving partner and children
  16. Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children
  17. Child support
  18. Joint Insurance Plans
  19. Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits
  20. Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs
  21. Estate and gift tax benefits
  22. Welfare and public assistance
  23. Joint housing for elderly
  24. Credit protection
  25. Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans
These are just a few of the 1400 state and federal benefits that gays and lesbians are denied by not being able to marry. Most of these benefits cannot be privately arranged or contracted for within the legal system.
Source: Legal Benefits of Marriage - What are the legal benefits of marriage

I am all for civil unions for all: homosexual, heterosexual and poly relationships.

I didn't choose to be black nor did I choose to be a lesbian, two groups that experience discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route_66_traveler View Post
Homosexuality is a choice/lifestyle.

Yes I am against homosexual marriage. I am also a Christian, and believe the Bible is God's Word. The Bible tells me, homosexuality is a sin.
Proof that fundamentalists selectively quote the Bible (http://www.fallwell.com/selective%20quotation.html - broken link)

Religious Support for Equal Marriage Rights

Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to argue that anyone (gay or straight) having consensual sex should be criminalized. I was just saying that it's not the same as being black because there's a difference between your identity and your actions.

And, if gay marriage was legalized, I don't know what would happen. In my state, we have a constitutional amendment against it so I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. I believe this should absolutely be a state issue. The federal government has intruded into states' rights way too much already.
Then whats your beef with it?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:28 AM

410 posts, read 515,088 times
When you fall in love and want to get married, nobody should stop you from doing so.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:

If the federal government had not stepped in and intruded into states rights back in the 60's, blacks still would only be able to marry blacks, whites to whites, asians to asians etc. Being LGBT is not a choice, having sex is. Are you suggesting that gays should not have sex? If we did not have sex with the one we love, would you let us get married? I do not think so, your problem seems to be that you do not like gay sex and the solution is for you to not have gay sex or marry one of the same sex. Other wise it is none of your business who someone has sex with or falls in love with or marries.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times
Lightbulb ~~~*~~~

YouTube - 100,000 for Equality!

This short video is very powerful.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If the federal government had not stepped in and intruded into states rights back in the 60's, blacks still would only be able to marry blacks, whites to whites, asians to asians etc. Being LGBT is not a choice, having sex is. Are you suggesting that gays should not have sex? If we did not have sex with the one we love, would you let us get married? I do not think so, your problem seems to be that you do not like gay sex and the solution is for you to not have gay sex or marry one of the same sex. Other wise it is none of your business who someone has sex with or falls in love with or marries.
The difference between a black marrying a white and two gay people marrying is different. God designed us so that only a man and a woman can start a family together. It's very simple. I know that gay couples can adopt children and many are good parents...but it is not what we are designed to do. I'm certainly not advocating ANY other form of discrimination against homosexuals.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:27 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
I am not big fan of this "god" seems like he is a total douche
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies